Player Watch Top 3 'Breakout' Contenders from your Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm

I’ll say:

Worpel: Was building and I think he will build more. Lots of heart in this kid. Seriously could see him captaining our side one day. Yes I’m going early but f*** it

Nash: Will spend the off season learning more forward craft and will hit the ground running. Great athelticism and pace and size. Get excited

Morrison: Learnt a lot from this year and under Sammy Mitchell he will take off

Last edited:

1. Francis
2. Langford
3. Redman

Smoky: Houlahan. Think he has the perfect attributes to replace Baguley and play alongside Fantasia and AMT. Rough year this year off no preseason but think he’ll be the type to go up a level in a well structured line up with a defined role.

1. Petracca - Think he will elevate himself to another level.
2. Weideman - Was very impressed with what I saw when he came back into the side in round 22. Expect him to play close to a full season.
3. Kolodjashnij - Talented ball user. Reckon he will thrive in a new setting and will complement our side well with his ball-use and run.

Tom Williamson

Paddy Dow

Zac Fisher.

Williamson is going to show why he is rated so highly by supporters and internally, just hopefully he can stay on the park and put the injuries of this season behind him for good as our backline was all over the place last season.

1. Langford - Really began to come into his own towards the end of 2018 playing a mixture of half forward and inside midfield. Had a 3 week period where he lead the comp in inside 50s. He's not there yet as a player but as that big bodied contested player that we lack will be given every opportunity and seems to be ready to go to that next level.

2. Redman - He probably was well on his way to becoming our breakout player of 2018 after 2 terrific games once breaking into the seniors, unfortunately picked up an injury and the club elected to send him in for knee cleanup surgery ending his year. I expect to see him either through the midfield or backline pretty early in 2019.

3. McGrath - Maybe had a bit of second year blues but still a pretty good year from him. I think the experience he had this year in a number of roles will really benefit him next year and he's every chance to have a breakout year and become one of the better wingers around. Hopefully won't get shifted around so much next year.

1. Petracca - Think he will elevate himself to another level.
Petracca is an interesting one. I thought this would be his breakout year tbh, but he didn't seem to find the consistency. Still young though, do you think he tries to drop weight over the offseason and become a genuine Mid-Fwd or stay in the forward role that pinch-hits in the midfield for next year?

1. Venables kid has all the tools and immense promise has the ability to be Shuey 2.0
2. Duggan found a nice niche down back tough as nails hbf. Would like to see him push into midfield a bit and try and project like dal santo
3. Rioli already a special player but capable of so much more

Jade Gresham: Only scratched the surface of what this kid can do. If our muppet coach gives him more mid time he will develop into an A grader

Hunter Clarke: More natural football talent then anyone on our list. Just need to get him to 50 games ASAP

Brandon White: If we can get the above the shoulders part right, he will be a big upgrade on Savage

Smokey: Logan Austin (but wont happen because Richo refuses to play him ahead of Nathan Brown)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Brandan Parfitt - Was ready to really breakout last year until an injury set his season back in round 5 and wasn't quite the same thereafter. Spent a lot of time forward so far in his career but is a genuine ball winning midfielder that has a lot of time and space in contested situations. Once he gets the chance to play in the middle more regularly he will surprise a lot of non Geelong supporters.

2. Esava Ratugolea - Hard to find players that will get enough opportunity at Geelong to break out in a mature side. There is a giant hole for a CHF/2nd ruck option at Geelong so much so that when he went down injured after 8 games it was a huge blow to the teams structure. Showed some exciting signs in the games he played.

3. Cameron Guthrie - Uggh. This is very hopeful but surely this guy got an absolute rocket in his exit interview. Now or never. Scott Selwood should be left in the VFL and the gauntlet thrown down for Guthrie to play through the middle. Lift your game or the door is thatta way.

Constable has shown good signs in the VFL but he is a one dimensional centre square midfielder and the midfield is stacked so he will probably struggle for opportunity once again.

Melbourne are in the fortunate position of mostly needing players to back up their form of 2018 rather than break out whilst also needing to draft the next wave of talent pushing through.

Kade Kolo probably had a break out 2nd year, he needs to find his feet in a new side. Fritsch might suffer some second year blues bouncing between positions. Petracca has more to give but not sure it's a breakout. Jayden Hunt can break out again.

1. Weideman - the most obvious break out candidate. Has to play the majority of games now Hogan is gone and at least hold his own and kick 25+ goals.

2. Oskar Baker - quick wingman who can see a lot of playing time if he makes the leap

3. Joel Smith - footy department likes him for a reason. Amazing athleticism and reads the play well

Connor Blakely - Will be moving into the midfield fulltime next year. Big bodied contested mid with good hands and a nice agility for a player his size.

Luke Ryan - Legit think this kid will be in conversations for the AA squad. Excellent reader of the play, great mark and a beautiful kick.

Alex Pearce - After almost 2yrs out of the game his start to 2018 was fantastic, but he started to struggle to get up for games during the back end of the season and the broken thumb didn't help. Another full preseason and I hope he will be able to extend his form over a whole season. Probably the fastest 200cm+ player in the league, excellent 1v1 defender, loves to run with the ball. Just needs to tidy up his kicking and I think he'll be a massive asset in nullifying the best KPF's in the league.

Petracca is an interesting one. I thought this would be his breakout year tbh, but he didn't seem to find the consistency. Still young though, do you think he tries to drop weight over the offseason and become a genuine Mid-Fwd or stay in the forward role that pinch-hits in the midfield for next year?
I think he will play more up forward but I reckon he will have quite a few stints on-ball. Probably something like a 30/70 split. It will be interesting to see how the club balances his time between the midfield and up forward because he is effective and impactful in both positions.

1. Dan Venables
Big preseason and growing his tank should see his class and speed utilised more next year

2. Oscar Allen
I believe he will get first crack at the retiring Lecras role. Some may say he is too big but he is all class below his knees and a one touch player with a footy brain. Can also be used as a swingman as he played back with East Perth at various stages.

3. Dom Sheed
Some may say he broke out in the finals series, however, I am expecting a more consistent season next year. He has the tools he just needs to be hungry every game. His Grand Final was as good as Shuey and Adams. Was my best on at half time

This guy has peaked. I mean seriously he could live off that one kick for the rest of his life, will be looked back in years to come as one of the biggest plays ever in AFL. If he makes a good career on top of it then double wow

Petracca was deemed a star by the media before he’d played his first game so it’s not really possible for him to “break out”, although the hype isn’t warranted by the output. He’s 23 next year so with another preseason I think he’ll finally start to take games by the scruff of the neck the way people have been expecting.

Salem will never be a star of the league but I’m expecting his consistency to improve again and get recognised in one form or another.

Stretch is the smoky and was looking good just before he went down for the rest of the season. I doubt many non-Melbourne people could pick him out of a lineup so if he can string that form together for a season he’ll have a breakout year. At this stage he still has a fight on his hands to make the 22. He will need to do that early and keep his spot.

1. Ahern
Has already shown he is quality, but developing a semblance of a tank over the pre-season will do wonders for him and his consistency.

2. Dumont
Only 23, has improved every year and his last month of footy was superb.

3. Ed Vickers-Willis
If he can stay on the park, but he's smart, composed, strong one-on-one and a nice kick of the footy. Not a star or standout player, but just an utterly dependable player.

Sam Weideman - 40 goals achieveable

Billy Stretch - Ready to take the next step.

Braydon Pruess - Can see him playing a few games and surprising supporters.

Don’t have enough faith in Petracca to hit his potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back