Top 3 games of the decade

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't pick an order, but I've put together a top 10 of the PS4 console that I've played, there's some recency bias for what I've played over the last couple of years so I'm sure I've missed one.

Divinity Original Sin I & II
Red Dead Redemption II
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Spiderman
Rise of the Tomb Raider
XCOM 2
Final Fantasy VII Remake

I can't pick an order, but I've put together a top 10 of the PS4 console that I've played, there's some recency bias for what I've played over the last couple of years so I'm sure I've missed one.

Divinity Original Sin I & II
Red Dead Redemption II
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Spiderman
Rise of the Tomb Raider
XCOM 2
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Nice. Mine:

God of War
Red Dead Redemption II
Cities Skylines
Bloodborne
GTA V
Fallout 4
Stardew Valley
Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
Skyrim Definitive Edition
The Last of Us Remastered

I debated whether or not to include HD remasters and decided I would because I did replay them on PS4 to a very large extent and enjoyed them greatly.

Nice. Mine:

God of War
Red Dead Redemption II
Cities Skylines
Bloodborne
GTA V
Fallout 4
Stardew Valley
Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
Skyrim Definitive Edition
The Last of Us Remastered

I debated whether or not to include HD remasters and decided I would because I did replay them on PS4 to a very large extent and enjoyed them greatly.
I've got Bloodborne in the PS collection, but never played. Rated highly but not sure if I can be bothered or just skip and play Demon's Souls on PS5

I've got Bloodborne in the PS collection, but never played. Rated highly but not sure if I can be bothered or just skip and play Demon's Souls on PS5
It's worth it. Got the best game feel of any From game, and the trick weapons are some of the most fun you can have.

Lore is great, story is unsettling, atmosphere is stellar, and it has DS1 worldbuilding. Probably their most complete game.

1.Slay the Spire
There are a lot of good deckbuilding video games out there, but few touch upon the absolute greatness of Slay the Spire. It somehow combines deck-building and rouge-like elements with perfection, and cradles the unbelievably well-balanced and satisfying gameplay within a dark and gritty dungeon crawler.
2.Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario Maker 2 improved on everything about the original, with the most accessible set of game creation tools ever made. Not only are the number of possibilities for level creation astonishing, the premade levels rounding out the game's story are among the best Mario levels ever put to pixel. There's no doubt future generations of game designers will cite childhood experiences with Super Mario Maker 2 as the catalyst for a lifelong passion.
3.Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Fire Emblem has been steadily winning over fans for decades and Three Houses is the culmination of the best parts of the series on a grand scale.

I love Slay the Spire, such a good game. Any recommendations for something similar? I might try Monster Train, it looks similar m

Breath of the Wild would be number 4 on my list. Framerate issues, boss fights being too easy and no classic temples/dungeons kept it from being in my top 3 and potentially number 1.

Weapon degradation system made me stop playing alltogether.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Crusader Kings 2
2. Xcom 1
3. Frostpunk

4. Battlefield 3 - not in the top three due to multiplayer dead
5. Company of Heroes 2
6. The Darkness 2

Team Fortress 2 released in 2007 is still by far my most played game. Play daily.

If anyone reading this understands the games i like going by what i have said above, it would be appreciated what else i could give a shot. I do like brutally hard or complex strategy games on the highest difficulty.

1. Crusader Kings 2
2. Xcom 1
3. Frostpunk

4. Battlefield 3 - not in the top three due to multiplayer dead
5. Company of Heroes 2
6. The Darkness 2

Team Fortress 2 released in 2007 is still by far my most played game. Play daily.

If anyone reading this understands the games i like going by what i have said above, it would be appreciated what else i could give a shot. I do like brutally hard or complex strategy games on the highest difficulty.

Based on CK2, have you played EU4? Ive played all your top 3 and only got onto EU4 a year ago and just hit 1k hours :eek:. I'd put it in my list now, but hadnt played it yet when I commented here.

Based on CK2, have you played EU4? Ive played all your top 3 and only got onto EU4 a year ago and just hit 1k hours :eek:. I'd put it in my list now, but hadnt played it yet when I commented here.

I have it, played a bit but went back to other things. I liked the game but didn't play enough to give it a 100% go. Will have another crack and see if i fall in love with it like yourself.

I have it, played a bit but went back to other things. I liked the game but didn't play enough to give it a 100% go. Will have another crack and see if i fall in love with it like yourself.
You can get all the DLC as a subscription and its definitely worth it. Incredibly complex, worth watching a whole bunch of youtube guides.

Top 3 is too hard, I'll go a top 10:

1. Zelda: BOTW
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Persona 5
4. Super Mario Oddessey
5. God of War
6. GTA V
7. Portal 2
8. Batman Arkham City
9. Metal Gear Solid V
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

The game that I'm most disappointed I haven't seen mentioned much on this thread is Super Mario Oddessey, I think it's the most fun I've had playing a game this decade even if it isn't my favourite. Took me back to games like Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 which defined my youth.

A game that has completely dropped off this list completely is the Last of Us. When I first completed it in 2013 I thought it was amazing and would have been near the top of my list. After I replayed it a few years later and knew the story beats, the repetetiveness of the gameplay became a lot more noticeable. This became even more noticeable after playing Part 2 last year, which barely evolves the gameplay at all and drags on for way too long - this pushed Last of Us off my list.

Top 3 is too hard, I'll go a top 10:

1. Zelda: BOTW
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Persona 5
4. Super Mario Oddessey
5. God of War
6. GTA V
7. Portal 2
8. Batman Arkham City
9. Metal Gear Solid V
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

The game that I'm most disappointed I haven't seen mentioned much on this thread is Super Mario Oddessey, I think it's the most fun I've had playing a game this decade even if it isn't my favourite. Took me back to games like Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 which defined my youth.

A game that has completely dropped off this list completely is the Last of Us. When I first completed it in 2013 I thought it was amazing and would have been near the top of my list. After I replayed it a few years later and knew the story beats, the repetetiveness of the gameplay became a lot more noticeable. This became even more noticeable after playing Part 2 last year, which barely evolves the gameplay at all and drags on for way too long - this pushed Last of Us off my list.

I never rated TLoU that highly at launch for those reasons. I was so sick of that gameplay from smashing out the Uncharted series (which I loved, obvs), and it felt completely dated for me. Obviously the story saved it but the journey was a chore. Still haven't played TLoU2.

I never rated TLoU that highly at launch for those reasons. I was so sick of that gameplay from smashing out the Uncharted series (which I loved, obvs), and it felt completely dated for me. Obviously the story saved it but the journey was a chore. Still haven't played TLoU2.
I probably wouldn't bother with Part 2 then. I find it odd that all the criticism of the game is in regards to the story, which is important for a game like this - but this no-one ever discusses the gameplay which hasn't evolved or change at all from the first game. There is only section I can remember where the gameplay actually feels different to the first, where you're in a stealth section with dogs who can track your scent, hence you have to be stealthy while constantly moving.

This section is great - but lasts for 15 minutes. The rest of the game is 20 hours long, about double the length of the first game and way longer than any Uncharted game. Naughty Dog games are short for a reason, sneaking up on infected and looting storage cabinets gets old pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back