Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I’m still scarred from the crap footy we played from 2016-2019. I just want the youngsters to take another step, the newbies to integrate themselves into the team, our forward attack (and accuracy!) to improve, and honestly just play some good hard competitive football.

Finals would be great but I’ve got 2023 circled on my calendar to have our breakout.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who do we replace? Even in the eight, I’d be happy with 7-8th on the ladder.
Only team that looks to be falling off a cliff is Geelong.
When we were physically challenged, it was boys against men and we don’t have enough seasoned players yet.
I’d take a year like 2010, with a young Fyfe and Mora X factor putting a smile on the dial.
A rookie in Barlow, and most of the rebuild complete, M Harvey’s job was done.
Excited to see what Worner can do.

freo99

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who do we replace? Even in the eight, I’d be happy with 7-8th on the ladder.
Only team that looks to be falling off a cliff is Geelong.
When we were physically challenged, it was boys against men and we don’t have enough seasoned players yet.
I’d take a year like 2010, with a young Fyfe and Mora X factor putting a smile on the dial.
A rookie in Barlow, and most of the rebuild complete, M Harvey’s job was done.
Excited to see what Worner can do.
It’s going to be harder to win games this year a few teams will improve.
I think the Hawks will be pushing for the 8, Pies will win more games same for both the Crows
+ Roos.

We should expect to make the 8.

Geelong will slide same for Brissy, maybe with Brissy even out of the 8.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Might be a year too soon but it’s hard not to notice how close the young group has become. We’ve got a ruckman who is about to become a superstar in his own right, two generational midfield leaders ready to take the mantle from Fyfe and Mundy, a defence that can dominate the air and seriously defend at ground level if they can all be on the park at the same time. I think the forward line and wing are still weaknesses in the immediate term. I think our first premiership players in these roles are on our list but guys like Henry, Erasmus, Sturt, Walker, Freddy, Switta need another year or two of development before we are a repeat top 4 side.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Might be a year too soon but it’s hard not to notice how close the young group has become. We’ve got a ruckman who is about to become a superstar in his own right, two generational midfield leaders ready to take the mantle from Fyfe and Mundy, a defence that can dominate the air and seriously defend at ground level if they can all be on the park at the same time. I think the forward line and wing are still weaknesses in the immediate term. I think our first premiership players in these roles are on our list but guys like Henry, Erasmus, Sturt, Walker, Freddy, Switta need another year or two of development before we are a repeat top 4 side.
Back in 2010, two indigenous boys were just starting out, Hill and Walters. Hill was 4th in the Doig that year.
It appears the positions you are worried about should be filled by our African connections.
Erasmus, Walker and Freddy, Freo growing the game in WA.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo

My concern is the “2 generational midfield leaders” actually. Assume you are referring to Brayshaw and Serong? If so, I don’t think they’re in the same talent league as Mundy, and certainly not Fyfe.

However I’m optimistic Erasmus and Johnson might add some power and silk to the midfield, around that existing grunt of Brayshaw and Serong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My concern is the “2 generational midfield leaders” actually. Assume you are referring to Brayshaw and Serong? If so, I don’t think they’re in the same talent league as Mundy, and certainly not Fyfe.

However I’m optimistic Erasmus and Johnson might add some power and silk to the midfield, around that existing grunt of Brayshaw and Serong.

Don’t forget Will Brodie, has plenty to prove and a former top 10 pick.
Also I’d like to think Young can be our Hodge type and run through the middle.
We should play a tall winger, either Worner, or maybe Chapman. The cattle we have we should be able to make Optus
a graveyard for other teams.
Must beat Blues, Bombers and WC at least once this year.
Forgot Johnson😀

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeah I was referring more to their leadership than their talent. Brayshaw now has a quarter of the team doing the 100 x 100s on Xmas Day. It must fill a void for the interstate boys who can’t travel home. Serong is vocal about driving high standards all year round, these guys are worth their weight in gold with the amount of interstate talent we have in that breakout age bracket.
In regards to talent-wise I reckon Serong projects higher than Neale and Cognilio (who he projects most like to me) and also Gray (who he was compared to in his draft year). I think he will become a top 5 AFL midfielder in a few years’ time.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Geez I optimistically predicted we'd finish 4th last year based on the rhetoric around the club and our draw, I think we've lost Cerra and not seeing that anyone is going to have developed enough to replace him, our draw is worse and our forward line is still not up to it. So I am saying finals yes but top 4 no.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I was referring more to their leadership than their talent. Brayshaw now has a quarter of the team doing the 100 x 100s on Xmas Day. It must fill a void for the interstate boys who can’t travel home. Serong is vocal about driving high standards all year round, these guys are worth their weight in gold with the amount of interstate talent we have in that breakout age bracket.
In regards to talent-wise I reckon Serong projects higher than Neale and Cognilio (who he projects most like to me) and also Gray (who he was compared to in his draft year). I think he will become a top 5 AFL midfielder in a few years’ time.
Geez I optimistically predicted we'd finish 4th last year based on the rhetoric around the club and our draw, I think we've lost Cerra and not seeing that anyone is going to have developed enough to replace him, our draw is worse and our forward line is still not up to it. So I am saying finals yes but top 4 no.
Don’t think our forward line is worse?
Erasmus, and hopefully Sturt can play together. In the past structurally we were stuffed when we lost Tabs or Lobb, both.
Treacy seems durable, and ideally we have some depth with Amiss and Benning.
At worse Cox or Chapman can go forward.
If we don’t beat The Blues, Bombers and WC at least once we won’t play finals.
We haven’t beaten Essendon the last 5 games, Blues are now vying with us as the next big thing.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Don’t think our forward line is worse?
Erasmus, and hopefully Sturt can play together. In the past structurally we were stuffed when we lost Tabs or Lobb, both.
Treacy seems durable, and ideally we have some depth with Amiss and Benning.
At worse Cox or Chapman can go forward.
If we don’t beat The Blues, Bombers and WC at least once we won’t play finals.
We haven’t beaten Essendon the last 5 games, Blues are now vying with us as the next big thing.
He doesn't say our forward line is worse.

I'm bullish re Erasmus, but he's missed quite a few games hasn't he? Long term looks like a beast though.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Our backline is stacked, even if 3 or 4 of our best defenders go down we have other options.

If we get 20+ games out of Fyfe, Taberner, Darcy, Brayshaw and Serong we should make the 8 IMO. $3.50 is good value.

SupermanCapes

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
It’s going to be harder to win games this year a few teams will improve.
I think the Hawks will be pushing for the 8, Pies will win more games same for both the Crows
+ Roos.

We should expect to make the 8.

Geelong will slide same for Brissy, maybe with Brissy even out of the 8.

Agree that teams will improve but I don't see it being Hawthorn or Collingwood. Hawks literally tried to shop around their current best players, can't imagine there's going to be much unity inside the dressing room on the back of that. Collingwood are staring down the barrel of one of their best players being convicted of crimes in the US and they haven't guaranteed he will be at the club even if he beats the charges.

Also agree that North and Adelaide should improve but likely to be from wooden spoon rivals to contending for 16th. Zero chance Brisbane drops out of the 8 with a fit Neale and the returns of Hipwood and Rayner.

I think Geelong will finally capitulate, hopefully resulting in a decade or more of being complete garbage. Sydney bolted last year and remains to be seen if the young kids will stand up again.

GWS and Essendon feel like the shakiest (big surprise given they're 7th and 8th).

Overall I reckon Geelong, Sydney and GWS are the most likely to fall out of the 8, but I don't really see any of the other 9-14th teams pushing that hard so we only need one of them to drop if the stars align and we get a decent run with injuries.

Back