Opinion Top 4 sides should not be able to access free agents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. Also, the club losing the player shouldn't get given compensation that negatively impacts 16 clubs not involved imo.
Compensation is rubbish, and we all know it’s flawed.

Compensation is rubbish, and we all know it’s flawed.
Compensation works, but the premise of it comes from American sports leagues where all teams gain and lose lots of free agents every year.

The first round of the draft should never be impacted by compensation though, GC got 8 years out of Lynch, they don't deserve a first round pick after having him for such a long time.

No issue at all with Lynch going there. If they have the cap space who cares. In a perfect world I’d rather go down the NRL path but that’s a different debate

In the Tom Lynch situation it's important to look back to the end of 2016 when Richmond finished 13th with an 8-14 record. It was at that point Richmond started planning to bring Tom Lynch into the club-- 2 whole years before he was recruited as a Free Agent.

You can't block a club from picking up a free agent because they became a better club during that time frame. Free Agency decisions aren't just made in October, they are made months and in some cases (Lynch, Franklin, etc.) years in advance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if Chris Scott could coach better and organise his best players to play their most influential positions, as well as selecting the best team, Tom Lynch would probably not have gotten Richmond over the line.

Oh and Hawkins belting someone didn’t help either.

Geelong got Ablett and Dangerfield though.

Between the 'go home factor' and the 'big game' factor - the bottom handful of clubs really are ****ed.

Geelong got Ablett and Dangerfield though.

Between the 'go home factor' and the 'big game' factor - the bottom handful of clubs really are f’ed.
Brisbane has shown you can drag yourself out. We did in 2018. Unfortunately you won’t recruit gun players when you’re awful, you have to work out of the hole a bit first.

I don’t know about you guys but watching Tom Lynch absolute tear apart a prelim for Richmond doesn’t exactly fill me with good feelings. He abandoned a side on the bottom of the ladder to go to a side coming off winning a premiership and then making a prelim.

Now it’s absolutely nothing against him or against Richmond per se, it’s just how I feel about it. I don’t think in the interests of running a fair and even competition we can have top 4 sides acquiring superstar players from bottom sides for almost nothing. That’s how good sides stay good and bad sides get worse.

How do you feel about it? Do you like the theatre of it? Or are you with me here?

:moustache:

Had he signed with Collingwood i would have had no issues.

But he didn’t, so its an outrage!!!

Yep, the AFL has a 'system' to determine what the club losing the player gets, so the AFL should be telling the receiving club to pony up that pick (or equivalent points) to get that player.

The AFL have a very arbitrary view of whats fair or reasonable, a transparent set of rules would be a must.

Compo should come from the club receiving the player. Not that I agree with formula being used but whatever the compo pick is worth in draft points, take that from the club receiving the player. It shouldn't be a free trade in.

Wait for the melt down after this upcoming trade period. Very strong talk (yet to come out) that another of the Suns guns going to the Tiges. Should he be allowed to come? Should everything be aimed at equalization as opposed to excellence? Don't we have enough equalization rules? Now we're talking about restricting where a free agent can go. The draft and salary cap is enough.

Wait for the melt down after this upcoming trade period. Very strong talk (yet to come out) that another of the Suns guns going to the Tiges. Should he be allowed to come? Should everything be aimed at equalization as opposed to excellence? Don't we have enough equalization rules? Now we're talking about restricting where a free agent can go. The draft and salary cap is enough.

Pick 19 for Ellis too thanks Gill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back