Top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe now because you cant see it this year you will finally be pleasently surprised?

I think we can make top 4 but we need everything to go right for us.

Hopefully

If only we had Heath Shaw, we'd win the flag then go back to back

:D

Optimism is for this time of year, but I just don't see it to that level. Top 4 is 15-16 wins which means an extra 6-7 on last year and I don't think we've improved enough in critical areas ("high performance", coaching, skill and depth of quality in the list) to make that jump. Hopefully the OP is proved correct :thumbsu:

And then halfway through the year reality hits.

Reality hit us in round one last season, so I'd be pleased if it waits until halfway next time around.

I think we're a fighting chance to make the finals but I'd be staggered if we land in the top 4.

And then halfway through the year reality hits.
We start with a so called tougher draw so if we are fine half way all points to good.

Whilst I'm not really thinking top 4, but would be delighted if it did happen, no reason we can't get to top 8.

Be very very even this season with say 12, 13, 14, even 15 sides competing for 8 spots.
Whilst I don't think North will not get there still can't absolutely rule them out so they in the mix.
Like Essendon to me is a no, but in the mix, can't deny that, and even Gold Coast is in the mix.
Then there's Richmond, I'd put a line through them, but they are in the mix.

I'd venture to suggest these sides just can't make the finals this season:

Brisbane
Carlton
Melbourne

That leaves some sort of chance for all these sides:

Collingwood (we're in the mix), Footscray (better name for them), Sydney, GWS, Geelong, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, St Kilda, West Coast, North Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon.

I think we'll be flat out making the 8 this season, but I appreciate the optimism! It isn't beyond the realms of possibility but would require quite a few stars to align. That would be Keeffe, Ramsay and Scharenberg to really step up in defence with a full season from Reid. Someone in the midfield to really step up at the centre clearances. A break out year for Moore and full season from Elliott and Fasolo. Who knows, it might all click!

I would love to make the 8 and anything more would be a bonus.We will be definitely be fighting the Demons and Saints who I think will improve again,we will be in the mix for the 8 but top 4 I don,t think so.

I will be so happy with 4 weeks in the season remaining knowing we are actually playing finals again that anything more would be manna from heaven.

I think our last 3 seasons should temper our hopes somewhat I know they have mine,but it is pre season and the time for optimism so top 4 bring it on.

The interesting question is which of the 8 last season will drop away and out.
Usually you have two or three fall out.

I'd suggest Hawthorn will fall away, they were punch drunk last season ready for the knock out blow, and it came.
North should drop out too.

Even Bulldogs could tumble as they only finished "7th" last year. I'd not be shocked but with their younger talent they should get top 4 as it were, but hang overs have inflicted some flag winners.

Be interesting

I think we'll be flat out making the 8 this season, but I appreciate the optimism! It isn't beyond the realms of possibility but would require quite a few stars to align. That would be Keeffe, Ramsay and Scharenberg to really step up in defence with a full season from Reid. Someone in the midfield to really step up at the centre clearances. A break out year for Moore and full season from Elliott and Fasolo. Who knows, it might all click!
All depends on our younger talent going up levels (ie development in progression to ability)
Plus a healthy list.

So we have Elliot, Fasolo, Moore all fit for the bulk or all season. That is a mouth watering prospect.
Then throw in a fully fit Hoskin- Elliot, it starts looking ok.

Down back, well we really need to have a fit healthy Reid, and suppprt by say Scharenberg and the ongoing upgrade of Maynard, Aish etc.

I'm really intrigued by the second big key back, do we get enough from one or more of
Keeffe, Dunn, Schade

These questions become affirmative then who knows, we may just be nicely finals bound.

If it's more on the negative, stand by for a bulging Buckley thread and the reappreance of posters who seem to live in those threads in bad times.

It's up to the players now....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm usually optimistic in pre season and it never works out, so this year I will go with being pessimistic and negative with the hope of doing well . This way I can't be too disappointed. The life of a Collingwood supporter has been difficult the last few years. Lol.

On Pixel XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

We start with a so called tougher draw so if we are fine half way all points to good.

Whilst I'm not really thinking top 4, but would be delighted if it did happen, no reason we can't get to top 8.

Be very very even this season with say 12, 13, 14, even 15 sides competing for 8 spots.
Whilst I don't think North will not get there still can't absolutely rule them out so they in the mix.
Like Essendon to me is a no, but in the mix, can't deny that, and even Gold Coast is in the mix.
Then there's Richmond, I'd put a line through them, but they are in the mix.

I'd venture to suggest these sides just can't make the finals this season:

Brisbane
Carlton
Melbourne

That leaves some sort of chance for all these sides:

Collingwood (we're in the mix), Footscray (better name for them), Sydney, GWS, Geelong, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, St Kilda, West Coast, North Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon.

Melbourne finished above us in 2016 and have arguably better kids with Hogan Mcdonald Viney Salem Petracca Brayshaw Gawn (still a youngish ruck), We're far from a guarantee to finish above Melbourne.

I don't know how people can rate our Forward line or defence? Both look bottom 6 in the AFL on paper.

Ben Reid goes alright at CHB.
Agreed, love him but he's not getting any younger or more durable. I think they should groom him for the 3rd tall role/quarter back. We need someone who can really dominate CHB and have Reid using his skills to get us out of the backline.

Melbourne finished above us in 2016 and have arguably better kids with Hogan Mcdonald Viney Salem Petracca Brayshaw Gawn (still a youngish ruck), We're far from a guarantee to finish above Melbourne.

I don't know how people can rate our Forward line or defence? Both look bottom 6 in the AFL on paper.
And this season will tell the story.

I just can't come at Melbourne, they just don't impress me, but I've been wrong many times

On paper? Depends on the statistics the paper is based on.
Take Fasolo as our top scorer with 20 odd. One statistic says he scored reasonably good for his avg per game played but if you look at his avg over the season cos he got injured it is not impressive at all. Output of Elliott and Broomhead over the seasons are similarly statistically skewed.
You will find that most will look at the stats where the one eyed/optimist amongst us look at potential .
On paper the stats of Elliott, Fasolo, Moore, WHE and Broomhead doesn't look impressive but it does get me moist if we can get them to play together.

Optimism is for this time of year, but I just don't see it to that level. Top 4 is 15-16 wins which means an extra 6-7 on last year and I don't think we've improved enough in critical areas ("high performance", coaching, skill and depth of quality in the list) to make that jump. Hopefully the OP is proved correct :thumbsu:
We had a few winnable games last year that we let slip, and mainly due to injury. If we can get a consistent team on the park then expect a rise up the ladder. I have a great deal of respect and trust for Buckley, he will stop at nothing in the pursuit of success

Richmond top 8 contender? 9 at best. Freo's is a train wreck, all is not well there. Watch Fyfe FA saga unfold..
Port hasn't really improved over the trade period either.

Freo had a Bloody Good Trade Period Though

Freo had a Bloody Good Trade Period Though
It is the next trade period that will be more interesting.
And with Freo it is just a feeling I have. Tanking a yr before losing a Brownlow to FA and get showered in 1st rnd draft picks. Something not quite right there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back