Top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

It's easy to throw around this word "potential" but in reality guys like Fasolo Broomhead and WHE have been in the system a long time and only shown glimpses at best, Fasolo for instance has never kicked 30 goals in a year and he'll be our main forward next year outside of a skinny 20 year old kid called Moore who'll be getting the number 1 KPD every week and more attention.

I would say the chance of all three been bursting out and having amazing seasons is extremely slim.

Elliot is a different story and everyone who knows a bit about his back condition knows it's still very much a question mark what impact he'll have in 2017.
They don't have to burst out, for me the potential is to stay uninjured and play for a full season, that should already make a huge difference. Last year Fasolo could have easily go beyond 30 if he didn’t injured his shoulder. That is not a glimpse.
Broomhead ditto... He has hardly a full season. WHE is a big unknown but also a very injury hampered career.
Elliott is indeed a question mark with his back but on paper he was our leading goal kicker.
Whoever plays on Moore doesn’t play on Elliott or Fasolo.

The football department haven't made any notable changes to the "high performance" group in three years yet we still scratch our heads at why we have injuries. What's the definition of insanity again?

I've always wondered if people see such a correlation between injuries and success why the parameters haven't changed at our club. Given that correlation I bet if they were shifted to games missed through injury rather than wins that there would have been different staff in that department by now.

After all less games missed means more wins doesn't it? Meaning the coach survives and we improve...

My two cents. Injuries in general are a copout a look at our midfield in 2016 suggests they were overplayed. Overall Jon I unfortunately can't see that one the same way as you, but here's to hoping your right, that injuries are the key and our "high performance" team finally does their job.
There is not much that can be done about trauma injuries

1. Blair assassinated by a crazed fan
2. White leaves town and goes into hiding
3. Eddie puts his foot in his mouth
4. Collingwood gets a new coach but the fans don't like him

There is not much that can be done about trauma injuries

There is. Diagnosing them correctly is generally a strong starting point to prevent ongoing issues or perhaps not playing guys whilst injured is another, but again there's little in the injury card anyway, IMO.

There is. Diagnosing them correctly is generally a strong starting point to prevent ongoing issues or perhaps not playing guys whilst injured is another, but again there's little in the injury card anyway, IMO.

Are you suggesting medical assessment is an exact science that should be gotten right 100% of the time?

Should we add those to a poll and vote on which is most likely to happen? I'll stick my neck out and vote for 3.:(

Are you suggesting medical assessment is an exact science that should be gotten right 100% of the time?

No far from it. These people for the most part are tertiary educated and even with that education will make mistakes. Unfortunately ours just make more than most which I have listed ad nauseum over the past few years.

This isn't the correct thread for it and I hope there's a time I can share everything. I believe its approaching, but we aren't there yet :thumbsu:

For me top 4 is out of the question, but I'm certainly bullish about our chances of top 8. If you look at the second half of 2016 we were playing consistent footy, bring that into this season and I'd think we should be in the bottom half of the top 8.

For me top 4 is out of the question, but I'm certainly bullish about our chances of top 8. If you look at the second half of 2016 we were playing consistent footy, bring that into this season and I'd think we should be in the bottom half of the top 8.
Yeah I'm more along these lines. Pre season has been solid so far. From what I have seen and read the boys seem a lot more focused. Minimal injuries and seems like the rehab group isn't too bad. Would be good to get Reid out of there but obviously will be cautious with him. Wells too.

Hopefully we don't have a scandal at the start of round again that really flattened us last year. Everyone seems to fly in pre season though so it doesn't really matter until we take it to the park. Looking forward to hopefully a better year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we don't have a scandal at the start of round again that really flattened us last year. Everyone seems to fly in pre season though so it doesn't really matter until we take it to the park. Looking forward to hopefully a better year.

Agree as it Badly set us back last year. Thanks to Bloody Slobbo

There will be a lot of teams in the mix at the start of the year. Brisbane and Carlton are about the only clubs I'd rule out of finals action. If a lot of things go right, we could finish as high as 6th. There are too many "better teams" and we have too many weaknesses for us to get above that.

If everything goes right we can I believe sneak into the 8, with a highest position of 6. We have to improve a lot and given the inexperience of a lot of those we are relying on for improvement I still think consistency is going to be tough to achieve.

We are more vulnerable than most though to injuries, a problem given our recent track record. If we lose any one of Grundy, Moore or Reid for a long term injury we are bottom 6. Lose any 2 and we are bottom 3.

There will be a lot of teams in the mix at the start of the year. Brisbane and Carlton are about the only clubs I'd rule out of finals action. If a lot of things go right, we could finish as high as 6th. There are too many "better teams" and we have too many weaknesses for us to get above that.

Calling the Better Teams now and during the Season can be 2 Entirely Different Stories. Game not played on Paper

we have excellent midfield depth, so will get plenty of ball, And CD rating our midfield as no.1 CANNOT be dismissed completely.
We have excellent fwd options and therefore scoring ability.

Defence becomes the big question mark.

I think HAWS, GEEL, NTH MELB. and SYD drop off.
Based on recent performances we have no fear of either Bulldogs or GWS.
I see us more than capable of covering all the rest (except maybe ADEL with their very strong FWD line), and feel MELBs depth will see them improve greatly.

We have an easier draw due to 2016 ladder position.

So if pre-season 2010 had few believers in a flag, then while similarly unlikely, TOP4 is possible in 2017.

Poor Blair.Someone should warn him so he can take precautions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back