kendrick

All Australian
Sep 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fitzroy..never forgotten!
Is it true there is home preliminary finals.. only home finals for the first week?

As if we finish 4th and lose in Adelaide... Knowing we are back in QLD for remainder of finals is fine with me.

Going to Perth or Adelaide to me is doomed.

It's not fair that any top 4 team gets a home final ..as no Vic team has had any home games all year.

If Port,Lions or Eagles win this year than it is definitely an asterisk season..

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Is it true there is home preliminary finals.. only home finals for the first week?

As if we finish 4th and lose in Adelaide... Knowing we are back in QLD for remainder of finals is fine with me.

Going to Perth or Adelaide to me is doomed.

It's not fair that any top 4 team gets a home final ..as no Vic team has had any home games all year.

If Port,Lions or Eagles win this year than it is definitely an asterisk season..
Port can have a home prelim, WC can't.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
5th would be a pretty terrible result. In that case it's likely West Coast finishes 4th.

Firstly gotta make it past week 1 which could be any of about 6 different teams, then trip to Adelaide or Perth for week 2 (pretty sure Gil said week 1 and 2 finals will be in Perth, but not prelims).

3rd, play Brisbane week 1 at the Gabba is the ideal scenario. Win that and we probably play one of Port/Geelong/West Coast in QLD for a GF spot. Lose and week 2 will at least be in QLD.

4th means week 1 will probably be in Adelaide, but the other QF will probably be Brisbane v Geelong so if we make a prelim, it will be in QLD regardless. So that's not a bad result either.

I reckon we'll finish 5th, win our way to a Grand Final against "the best team all year" Port and do a 2017 job on them.
Does that include the Adelaide posters cheering us on for dear life???
I loved the Port support in 2017. Their grand final thread was great.

Mar 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
5th would be a pretty terrible result. In that case it's likely West Coast finishes 4th.

Firstly gotta make it past week 1 which could be any of about 6 different teams, then trip to Adelaide or Perth for week 2 (pretty sure Gil said week 1 and 2 finals will be in Perth, but not prelims).

3rd, play Brisbane week 1 at the Gabba is the ideal scenario. Win that and we probably play one of Port/Geelong/West Coast in QLD for a GF spot. Lose and week 2 will at least be in QLD.

4th means week 1 will probably be in Adelaide, but the other QF will probably be Brisbane v Geelong so if we make a prelim, it will be in QLD regardless. So that's not a bad result either.
No finals in Perth after week 1

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Most likely scenarios are

3rd if: We win both games
4th if: We win 1 game and lose the other, and West Coast lose 1 game
5th if: We win 1 game and lose the other, and West Coast win both games

Some unlikely but mathematically possible ones
1st if: We win both games, Port lose all 3 games and Brisbane lose 2 out of 3
2nd if: We win both games, Port lose all 3 OR Brisbane lose 2 out of 3
6th if: We lose both games, St Kilda win both games and West Coast beat North Melbourne
7th if: The above, and Collingwood win both games and make up percentage.

Beat Geelong and it's likely 3rd place and get to destroy Brisbane in the qualifying final again. Sweet.
Lose to geelong and get to destroy some s**t team who may go ultra flood and beat us by a small margin. I don't want to get sent packing in such a way.
The weagles can't travel and hate greasy conditions.
Huge chance of a saints upset. But it's St kilda with a track record of ******* up.

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
I'm not 100% that Port will finish top, they are definitely in pole position but they have the tougher final game against Collingwood who will apparently have De Goey and maybe Treloar back. Lions are playing Sydney and Carlton, I know they've got a few injuries but they'll start both of those games favourite.

However unlikely it is, we could come 3rd and still end up travelling to Adelaide so let's just control what we can win our final 2 games and make top 4, we play whoever we play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
It’s all up to us now ... some of us got sucked in hoping the Saints would do us a favour but that didn’t happen

I was a bit annoyed that saints couldnt get the job done, but you dont win a flag by relying on others to do you a favour. We win tonight, I dont think we'll lose again this season, we lose we finish 5th and do it the hard way.

Also, I would LOVE to play Port in Adelaide 1st up

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’m sure this has been discussed everywhere else. Who are we likely to play if we finish 5th? Is there a chance we get Saints/GWS/pies or will it be dogs?

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I’m sure this has been discussed everywhere else. Who are we likely to play if we finish 5th? Is there a chance we get Saints/GWS/pies or will it be dogs?
About an equal chance of all 4 of them. Did a ladder predictor with us losing tonight, had us vs St Kilda week 1. If we win we'd get Brisbane. Of course, I'm only tipping 75% at best so likely a few spanners will be thrown in there.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
Would hate to have to play Saints or Collingwood in an Elimination final. Tonight really is a final for us when we're not at full strength. We deserve back to back flags if we can win tonight.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I think if we do end up playing Port on the Adelaide Oval in the first week of finals, we will win easily. The first time we played them we were missing many quality players and coming off a short break...and we still almost beat them. We would have learned much from that game too and, with the return of Prestia and Edwards, we won't lose the center clearance battle to anywhere near the same degree. We are also lucky that we are playing on the Adelaide Oval again this week so will acclimatize better to the dimensions and crowd noise of the ground.

Hopefully we are matched up against, our bunnies, the Lions again but if not, we should have no fear of facing the Power again. In fact we should relish the opportunity given our previous 'return' records against teams that have beaten us earlier in recent seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back