Top 5 Biggest/Greatest Bands of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having a discussion with a mate one boozy Sunday evening whilst watching a doco on U2 on Foxtel. Now I'm not the biggest U2 fan, but whilst watching the doco, hit after hit after hit spanning over 20 years just kept coming and coming (most of them pretty good songs) which led me to declare that U2 were definately in the Top 5 biggest/ greatest bands of all time. Now biggest/ greatest is an ambiguous word but to put it in some sort of context it includes such things as popularity, record sales, influence (at the time and ongoing) longevity, classic/iconic albums etc.

We discussed it and came to the conclusion that the top 5 bands of all time were:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
U2
Pink Floyd

On the first 4 we were rock solid. The last one there was some debate over. Interesting though, that all 5 we agreed on were from the UK/ Ireland and no American representation.

We also came to the conclusion that it is very doubtful that this list would ever change. Why? Because 4 of these bands started in the 1960's when popular music/ Rock music was at it's zenith in terms of popularity and hysteria. It was the number one thing the kids were into and this popularity was still very high in the 1970's and into the 1980's. In my lifetime I have seen the decline of the popularity of pop music simply for the fact that there are so many more choices for the younger generations and going out and buying the latest record is not as high a priority as it once was. U2 are the only ones slightly different as they were a product of the 1980's but they were able to ride the wave and constantly reinvent themselves to remain relevant (as well as consistently putting out good material). I just can't see any band in todays environment be able to garner the popularity over an extended period of time like the bands listed above.

Interested to see differences of opinion on this and reasons why.

Ok, i'll have a crack too:

Beatles
Elvis (not really a band, but i think he counts)
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
U2/ACDC (find it hard to split these two)

I would argue that Metallica wouldn't be too far away from these bands, in terms of influence on other artists they have been huge. And yeah, Pink Floyd, The Who, Hendrix, Van Halen, Eric Clapton would also be up there somewhere. And i reckon if Michael Jackson hadn't had his "issues" he would be in the top 5 somewhere.

Ok, i'll have a crack too:

Beatles
Elvis (not really a band, but i think he counts)
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
U2/ACDC (find it hard to split these two)

I would argue that Metallica wouldn't be too far away from these bands, in terms of influence on other artists they have been huge. And yeah, Pink Floyd, The Who, Hendrix, Van Halen, Eric Clapton would also be up there somewhere. And i reckon if Michael Jackson hadn't had his "issues" he would be in the top 5 somewhere.

Should of clarified, this is bands, not solo artists.

not including solo artists or composers. these bands could all make a case to be included

Metallica
Nirvana
Black Sabbath (influentially anyway)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Radiohead and Oasis probably deserve a mention as far as contemporary bands go

the problem is that Biggest and Greatest don't go hand in hand. there are hundreds and thousands of bands out there producing fantastic music, but because the media will not support it (by choice or not), they will not get the following they deserve/could obtain

the same goes for influential bands. in the "emo" scene three of the most important bands, Rites of Spring, Gray Matter and Cap'n Jazz, only produced 5 albums between them, had no hits, relatively short life spans and followings that could only be described as cult.

The best list so far is Papa G's IMO.

It really depends on your criteria though. If you want to sway the list to the influence and impact side of things then bands like The Who and Beach Boys would knock off U2 and Pink Floyd (and possibly even the Stones and Zeppelin).

If you're going more on popularity but with a bit of influence/impact in it as well then your list is pretty solid...but I think Queen would also be fighting with U2 and Pink Floyd for the 4th and 5th positions.

1.Beatles
2 Daylight
3.Rolling stones
4.Eagles
5.U2
6.Beach Boys

think you may be spot on there, queen is another one that'd definatley be on the cards aswell as Led Zepp

pity radiohead should be in the top 5 but too many people just dont 'get' thier music for them to considered i think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It so depends on your point of view really, you could rate it on biggest (popular), Influential, Original. I guess the point I'm trying to make that as far as music as we know it today the list could well be-

Beatles
Stones
Beach Boys
Public Enemy
Sex Pistols

This is not my top 5 but just a different way of looking at it.

Beatles
Rolling Stones
U2
Led Zep
Oasis

With Oasis, i just couldn't split about 5-6 different bands. I just think Oasis's music has to get them ahead or Queen, Pink Floyd etc. I've also listened to there stuff more than Floyd or Queen as well.

And FFS, Nirvana shouldn't even be mentioned. They are the most overhyped band in history.

Beatles
Rolling Stones
U2
Led Zep
Oasis

With Oasis, i just couldn't split about 5-6 different bands. I just think Oasis's music has to get them ahead or Queen, Pink Floyd etc. I've also listened to there stuff more than Floyd or Queen as well.

And FFS, Nirvana shouldn't even be mentioned. They are the most overhyped band in history.

Oasis have only had 2 very good albums, consistency, longevity and influence are areas which they fall down in a major way. I know it's all opinion but on these criteria's alone I could not consider them in the ball park.

Beatles
Rolling Stones
U2
Led Zep
Oasis

yes, yes, oh god yes, theyr are good but easily one of the most overtalked, overrated bands

We discussed it and came to the conclusion that the top 5 bands of all time were:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
U2
Pink Floyd
papa g, you got the list spot on - this is exactly the bands i'd mention, in exactly that order! obviously there are only five spots, so you can't mention everyone who deserves a mention, but these are almost certainly the five biggest ever, i'd say.

the beach boys would have a lot of votes with people, but if you ignored pet sounds (a completely flawless album), there is not much left in their catalogue. you've got barbara ann, i get around, kokomo, good vibrations, and little else - the frustrating surf rock and their other stuff is boring compared to the aforementioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back