Top 5 goals that mean the most to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

PorkyPie

Rookie
Aug 8, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
What 5 goals mean the most to you? I've never done this before so I hope the links work? I thought it might be interesting to hear where people were and who they were with when their favorite goals where kicked. I'm sorry if this has been done before?
These are mine...
1. Anthony Rocca v Adelaide 2002 Preliminary Final - I was at this game with my Dad and I remember the roar being so loud everyone was jumping and dancing, and giving high fives, it was amazing!

2. Peter Daicos v West Coast 1990 Qualifying Final - I was a young lad watching this game with my parents and brothers, we all jumped out of out chairs in amazement! We all still talk about it, great family moment.

3. Alan Didak v St.Kilda 2010 Grand Final Replay - It was the moment I was 100% sure we were going to win this Grand Final, and it was an awesome goal! I was with my friends, wife and kids. Best day ever!

4. Mick McGuane v Carlton 1994 Round 2 - A great goal against the old enemy, once again watching with family and after the third bounce we were all standing and cheering!

5. Luke Ball v Hawthorn 2011 Preliminary Final - I was watching with my friends, wife and kids, lots of hugging, high fives and dancing that night!
I've never done this before so I hope the links work? I thought it might be interesting to hear where people were and who they were with when their favorite goals where kicked. I'm sorry if this has been done before?

1: Doug Barwick - 4th Q 1990 GF
  • The whole final quarter of the 1990 GF was eerily quiet for a GF. Essendon had nothing to cheer about and Collingwood supporters didn't dare to celebrate too early. Then Dougie finally kicked the first goal of the quarter and the lid came off. Will never forget it.

2: Steele Sidebottom - 3rd Q 2010 GF replay
  • Might be my favourite team goal of all time. Starts with Daisy flying horizontally to intercept a Saints kick deep in defense and ends with Pendles gliding down the wing and delivering the ball to Steele on a plate to seal the premiership.

3: Peter Daicos - 4th Q 1990 QF
  • The actual Greatest Goal of All Time
4: Peter Daicos - 1st Q 1990 GF
  • We were in trouble prior to this goal. Essendon had kicked the first 2 and looked too tall for us and we needed a spark. Enter the Marvel to kick yet another boundary line gem to get us going and we didn't look like losing from then on.
5: Anthony Rocca - 3rd Q 2002 PF
  • As noted above, the loudest roar I've ever heard and confirmation that Collingwood were back to being a force.

Special mentions to Didak's shimmy in the 2010 GF, Cox's 3rd goal in a row in the 2nd quarter of the 2018 PF and Tarrant's kick after the siren in 2003.

Last edited:
Mine are all fairly recent, not sure why. Can’t be bothered linking, sorry.

1. Sharrod Wellingham - 3rd quarter in the 2010 GF replay. The moment I knew we were going to win.

2. Scott Pendlebury - 1st quarter in the 2010 prelim. His second goal on the right foot from 45m out.

3. Jordan De Goey - 4th quarter 2018 GF. I thought we’d go on to finish it from there... even though it was a devastating day, the moment of elation was bloody spectacular when he slotted this!

4. Luke Ball - 4th quarter 2011 prelim. The match winner, what a moment.

5. Dane Swan - 3rd quarter ANZAC day 2014. It was a roller coaster of emotions that day, and the don’t argue goal running in blew the bloody lid off the joint.

1. Jason Akermanis front and centre goal, Q4, 2002 GF
2. Alistair Lynch free & goal, Q4, 2002 GF
3. Gary Ablett rove off the pack and goal, PF 2007
4. Elliot Yeo from outside 50, 2018 GF
5. Sheed from the pocket, 2018 GF

Those five goals cumulatively cost us probably three premierships.

A couple of the goals are interesting for the players involved in them who were later exposed as footballers - Ryan Lonie, who was inspirational running and bouncing the ball but lacked authority at the contest and Dawes who had an excellent year in 2010 and a terrific grand final, but deteriorated badly and quickly as a footballer.

Micky McGuane's goal would be my favourite because of the lead up to it.

Good selection of classic goals. Everyone of them was memorable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd beaten Geelong the year before, (1980) in the PF by 4 points.
The following year another close game and we're behind with not much time left.
13.30, Daics takes a mark and plays on to kick a goal and put us in front.
Similar feeling to his 1990 goal at the same venue.

Twiggy Dunnes goal to level the scores in the 1977 grand final, I also had a dream a few days before that Twiggy kicked the winning goal after the siren, so close

Bucks in GF 02 from outside 50, 2m in from boundary.
Tarrants goal vs Crows after siren win in 03.
Luke Balls 2011 Hawks PF winner.
Dids boundary 03 winner over Lions in finals.
Leon Davis goal in 2010 GF to put us 14 points up with 13 mins to go was clean when everyone else was scrapping and couldn't buy a goal. Without it we lose another GF.

Outside that there are about 50 of Leon Davis goals.
A lot of Big Pebs and Tazza goals back from 01-04.
Dale Thomas at pies had a lot of memorable ones and so too did Sharrod Wellingham in 2010.
T.Cloke from 07-10 provided some big goals.
The Bid Savaloy Rocca also had some great goals.
I also thought the goals kicked in Q1 of 2018 were brilliant to watch and at the time thought it was a game winning lead. Oh how wrong i was.

Last edited:
1. Anthony Rocca's bomb in the 2002 preliminary final.

2. Ross Brewer's snap over his shoulder in the 1981 semi final against Fitzroy when the game seemed lost-we won by a point.

3. Daicos's snap from the boundary in 1990 second semi vs the Eagles. Miracle goal but the context magnified it's importance. This is included in the clip below.

Goal number 5 in my list features at the 2:35 mark of the clip above.

4. Didak's goal from a set shot deep in the Punt road pocket to seal the game against Brisbane in the 2003 second semi final

5. Daicos goal-after marking the pill about 60 metres out with Ian Nankervis on the mark. Daics played on, handballed in front of himself, ran around Nankervis, regathered the pill and drilled a beauty that put us in front in the last ten minutes of the 1981 preliminary final. The crowd erupted, It was electric.
See in link above ( No. 3)

Last edited:
Interesting comparison of two of the loudest roars from this lot, Pebbles '03 PF and Daics' '90 QF. The former was the long build up, gathering of voices vs the latter which was an actual crescendo due to the "WTF, it's gone in" factor.

Great topic

I loved Lonie's withering run and then pin point kick to Rocca in the 2002 PF. The Rocco goal was outrageous. And also was the defining moment in moving into a GF, the first since 1990.

JMac I suggest you sit down at this moment. Having recently viewed a number of games back in the 2002-3 years, I'd forgotten how good and prominent Buckley was as a player.

Having recently viewed a number of games back in the 2002-3 years, I'd forgotten how good and prominent Buckley was as a player.
I’ve sat and watched some footage from 1998-01 recently and I reckon he was even better then. He made 6 All Australian’s in succession, many of them on-ball, in one of the worst sides in the comp. For every game Collingwood won, he would poll 3 votes because he’d pretty much drag us there himself. Ridiculous footballer, and one of the all time greats not just for Collingwood but for all clubs in my humble opinion.

I’ve sat and watched some footage from 1998-01 recently and I reckon he was even better then. He made 6 All Australian’s in succession, many of them on-ball, in one of the worst sides in the comp. For every game Collingwood won, he would poll 3 votes because he’d pretty much drag us there himself. Ridiculous footballer, and one of the all time greats not just for Collingwood but for all clubs in my humble opinion.

He gets massively underrated because of the never won a premiership thing.

And not doing his legacy any good with his coaching failure.

But the consensus is that he has not failed as a senior coach - quite the contrary. Today he is considered to be a well respected articulate and well established senior coach (notwithstanding little success to date).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back