Top 5 Heavy Progressive Ausralian albums of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Basically prog metal, but they can also be prog rock if you like. Honourable mentions also welcome

In no particular order:

Voyager - V (2014)

Karnivool - Sound Awake (2009)

Caligula's Horse - In Contact (2017)

Chaos Divine - The Human Connection (2011)

Sleepmakeswaves - Love Of Cartography (2014)

Cog - The New Normal (2005)

Honourable Mentions:

Karnivool - Themata (2005)

Voyager - I Am The Revolution (2009)

Last edited:
Sorry about shitty formatting. Not sure why that's happening

Basically prog metal, but they can also be prog rock if you like. Honourable mentions also welcome

In no particular order:

Voyager - V (2014)

Karnivool - Sound Awake (2009)

Caligula's Horse - In Contact (2017)

Chaos Divine - The Human Connection (2011)

Sleepmakeswaves - Love Of Cartography (2014)

Cog - The New Normal (2005)

Honourable Mentions:

Karnivool - Themata (2005)

Voyager - I Am The Revolution (2009)

All great albums. Chaos Divine - The Human Connection is up there as one of my favourite albums ever. Their other work doesnt appeal as much although Legacies was pretty good.

I would add Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I (2012). As far as progressive extreme metal goes it is up there. Definitely has a unique sound - influenced by many diverse genres.

Off the top of my head I really like:

Sydonia - 'Given to Destroyers' (2012)
Breaking Orbit - The Time Traveller (2012)
Hashshashin - Badakhshan (2019)
Twelve Foot Ninja - Silent Machine (2012)
Osaka Punch - Voodoo Love Machine (2012)

All great albums. Chaos Divine - The Human Connection is up there as one of my favourite albums ever. Their other work doesnt appeal as much although Legacies was pretty good.

Agreed with HC. I played it so much I wore out the CD haha.

Nothing they released afterwards came close to recapturing the magic of that record

Agreed with HC. I played it so much I wore out the CD haha.

Nothing they released afterwards came close to recapturing the magic of that record
Agree completely. Lyrically and instrumentally it had so much depth and i dont think they will or can replicate it. You can feel the massive amount of passion and energy put into it. Legacies was still a pretty good album in its own right i think but it doesnt come close to HC. The riffs are there and there are some great moments from all band members and some songs are great but it still doesnt come close in my opinion. In saying that, i was very happy with Legacies. It was Colliding Skies that i never got into, i thought that album was mainly filler. All together i think they are a great band and the HC holds a special place in my heart.

i guess i'm thinking circa 90's though some of the more recent bands do tickle me

more popular overseas than in australia

kind of defies description but horace himself tags it prog metal amongst other things and there is some opeth similarities. renaissance man. is probably chugging beer while browsing bigfooty, thinking of violin and piano melodies for songs.

spiritech

i guess i'm thinking circa 90's though some of the more recent bands do tickle me

more popular overseas than in australia

kind of defies description but horace himself tags it prog metal amongst other things and there is some opeth similarities. renaissance man. is probably chugging beer while browsing bigfooty, thinking of violin and piano melodies for songs.

spiritech

Alchemist were a great band. Unique sound for sure. I wish i was old enough to see them when they were around.

Spectrum the greatest progressive psych rock band of their time. Spectrum Part 1 (1971). An absolutely wonderful debut album.

Super Body 0:00
Drifitng 9:15
Mumbles I Wonder Why 12:42
Launching Place, Part I 18:42
Launching Place, Part II (B-Side) 22:15
I'll Be Gone (Full Length Version) 25:16
Launching Place, Part II (Psycho-Psychedelic Version) 29:42
You Just Can't Win 32:36
Make Your Stash 37:20
Fiddling Fool 41:30

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad