Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Going into 2024 who has the top 5 midfields in our opinions?
My team no where near it but very impressed by some sides depth and top line trios etc.

Some impressive ones are

Port Adelaide- Rozee Butters JHF Wines Boak Houston Drew

Top class midfield with Rozee Butters as good as any combo in the league now, lacks a little depth but has experience and some taggers role players as well.

Collingwood- N Daicos J De Goey J Daicos S Pendlebury J Crisp T Mitchell Lipinski J Mcrae

So much depth very hard to go past this side as the best with class inside and outside and even youngsters developing.
Mitchell and Pendlebury as clean as they come feeding some engines in Daicos De Goey Daicos.

Bulldogs- Bontompelli Treloar Smith Liberatore Mcrae English

This is one of the best on paper but a couple have fallen away and there needs to be some new legs introduced soon ( Sanders) great pick up, the bonus is they have a very mobile good ruckman that the other teams mentioned don’t.

Will write more tomorrow ones I would put in are- Brisbane Fremantle GWS

Giants midfield is competitive:

Tom Green, Cogs, Kelly, Ward, Callaghan, with Daniels, Greene and Perryman all able to run through there

If you include the ruckman which there's an argument you should given their role in the midfield at every stoppage, then I think Melborune have a case to be in the top 5 too

Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon, etc.

I'd also probably have GWS, Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Collingwood (in no order) there.

Brisbane in the conversation too with Neale, McLuggage, Dunkley, Bailey, the Big O

If you include the ruckman which there's an argument you should given their role in the midfield at every stoppage, then I think Melborune have a case to be in the top 5 too

Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon, etc.

I'd also probably have GWS, Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Collingwood (in no order) there.

Brisbane in the conversation too with Neale, McLuggage, Dunkley, Bailey, the Big O

Sparrow and Rivers also add a lot to the Dees mid group, those guys are seriously underrated. On paper they have the best group, if Windsor can get up to speed he'll add another element they need in speed.

Sparrow and Rivers also add a lot to the Dees mid group, those guys are seriously underrated. On paper they have the best group, if Windsor can get up to speed he'll add another element they need in speed.
They almost certainly do have the best midfield group. They were clearly the better team in general play in their 2 finals and absolutely choked in their forward half. They just be looking at last year as such a missed opportunity.

They almost certainly do have the best midfield group. They were clearly the better team in general play in their 2 finals and absolutely choked in their forward half. They just be looking at last year as such a missed opportunity.

I agree, but the midfield group need to shoulder a bit of the blame for their exit, they blazed away, they couldn't find composure when they needed it. Poor kicking the other major reason their season ended the way it did.

I agree, but the midfield group need to shoulder a bit of the blame for their exit, they blazed away, they couldn't find composure when they needed it. Poor kicking the other major reason their season ended the way it did.
Yep. The Viney turnover leading to Carlton's match winning goal was heinous.

LDU, wardlaw, simpkin, phillips ,mckercher, tarryn thomas/sheezel

won't need a defence will win every clearence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LDU, wardlaw, simpkin, phillips ,mckercher, tarryn thomas/sheezel

won't need a defence will win every clearence
It'll be incredibly strong in a few years, but don't put a bloke in there who hasn't even been at an AFL club for longer than a couple of weeks ;)

I'd personally love to hear an in depth discussion over who's midfield is better between Richmond and Geelong, Preferably one that spans over 15 pages.
Geelong's midfield went from middle of the road and competitive in 2022 to arguably the worst in the competition in 2023.

If Geelong's midfield can be competitive next year our quality up forward and down back will make us a handful. There's no guarantee of that though.

Sorry to deny you 15 pages of humour.

Geelong's midfield went from middle of the road and competitive in 2022 to arguably the worst in the competition in 2023.

If Geelong's midfield can be competitive next year our quality up forward and down back will make us a handful. There's no guarantee of that though.

Sorry to deny you 15 pages of humour.
I reckon young Bruhn showed a bit this year as time went on, but Holmes (proabably injury related and needing a couple of bigger bodies around him) seemed a bit lost at times. Get Holmes back playing his best will help a lot.

I reckon young Bruhn showed a bit this year as time went on, but Holmes (proabably injury related and needing a couple of bigger bodies around him) seemed a bit lost at times. Get Holmes back playing his best will help a lot.
Yeah if we get Guthrie back, have either Stanley or Conway available every game so a competent ruck and Holmes and Bruhn take another step up then we should be ok.

There's talent there. Not to be best in the league but to be ok. We just had a horrible injury run in the exact part of the ground we couldn't afford to have a horrible injury run.

I am pretty happy with a starting four of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra + Hewett/Kennedy. That is as deep as we'll ever bat week to week. Most sides will only ever run four or five through so I don't see the point in reeling off long lists including wingers, flankers and depth.

Would like to get some more pace in our midfield over the next few years.

Fremantle is a solid lineup
Serong Brayshaw top line
Fyfe if he is fit and young coming into there now is a very good player. Omera Brodie serviceable and the rucks are very good. If Erasmus and O’Driscoll can find another level they will be very very good.

B
Fremantle is a solid lineup
Serong Brayshaw top line
Fyfe if he is fit and young coming into there now is a very good player. Omera Brodie serviceable and the rucks are very good. If Erasmus and O’Driscoll can find another level they will be very very good.
Johnson young and if Darcy stays fit Jackson will have a run through to change things up.
Serong brayshaw brodie young johnson
With raz fyfe JOM and Jackson making the odd appearance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back