Top 5 - Most Hated Teams in the AFL Era (poll included)

Most hated club in the afl era?

• Essendon

Votes: 133 33.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Other

• Geelong

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Port Adelaide

• Adelaide

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Richmond

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • St. Kilda

• GWS

• Bulldogs

• Fremantle

• Gold Coast

• Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 9.0%
  • Melbourne (someone please vote Melbourne)

• Total voters
Hating two people is different to hating the whole club. Other than lose Grand Finals and give us entertaining finals matches, what is there to hate about them?

- They dont cheat.
- They haven't had a dynasty since the first world war.
- Their players are quite likable.
- Their supporters are annoying, be who doesn't have annoying supporters?

Anyway, don't think Collingwood deserved a mention really, its all a media beat up, unless you're a saint supporter and you are reliving 2010.

Is it your lack of knowledge related to Australian history or your lack of football knowledge that leaves gaping holes in your post.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Is it your lack of knowledge related to Australian history or your lack of football knowledge that leaves gaping holes in your post.
My knowledge is accurate

- 'hating' Collingwood was a narrative created by Collingwood to motivate, galvanise and achieve success for Collingwood. Us against them, blah blah blah, biggest club in the land. Its all fantasy and none of it is true.

Reality is - they haven't done damage since the 1920s and IN MY OPINION (dunno if you can comprehend this) I dont hate them.

Do you want to be hated? Because there's NOTHING to 'hate' about Collingwood.

Also - whilst looking at the poll, Collingwood aren't hated by everyone who's taken the poll. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe you have an overinflated opinion of your club? Maybe you think the world centres around Collingwood when in actual fact, your world centres around Collingwood. No one cares man, they aint on anyones radar.

Colin Carter on his exit interview for Geelong didnt hold back - although Carlton won that grand final by 10 goals, he was absolutely filthy to find out that they breached the salary cap in 1995.
There was no salary cap breach in 1995.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
There was no salary cap breach in 1995.
Yes they did. And along with Essendon 1993, Hawthorn of 1989 and 1991, should have been stripped of the premiership. Took too long to adapt to a salary cap, which was introduced in 1987 - hench, no success since.

Colin Carter quotes.
Screenshot_20210121-005328_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes they did. And along with Essendon 1993, Hawthorn of 1989 and 1991, should have been stripped of the premiership. Took too long to adapt to a salary cap, which was introduced in 1987 - hench, no success since.

Colin Carter quotes.
View attachment 1043506
That article states no where there were salary cap breaches in 1995.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
That article states no where there were salary cap breaches in 1995.
You missed this part

"...we lost another premiership to a side that was later shown to be so over the cap they probably got vertigo" - Colin Carter, Geelong President

REFERENCE TO CARLTON. He is the president of the Geelong Football Club - you are a Carlton supporter on BigFooty. His comment carries weight. Snap out the denial.

You missed this part

"...we lost another premiership to a side that was later shown to be so over the cap they probably got vertigo" - Colin Carter, Geelong President

REFERENCE TO CARLTON.
A bitter man's words isn't proof.

Where's the news articles that show Carlton over the cap that specific year? By how much? What punishments? Where's an actual statement? Etc. Oh that's right... there is none... because it doesn't exist.

He is the president of the Geelong Football Club - you are a Carlton supporter on BigFooty. His comment carries weight. Snap out the denial.
Oh then it's all settled then, he must be right despite the obvious bitterness? It carries so much weight that it's not on any record, no punishment handed out, not actually verified by anyone else, etc. Do you actually have any evidence apart from a off-handed comment from an old article from the Herald Sun? Here are all the listed breaches in the salary cap's history... I don't see 1995 listed here at all for Carlton.

People in positions like that can be wrong too, see Eddie McGuire as a shining example to that. And Donald Trump, if you really want to stretch that fallacy out. The only "weight" that matters here is the actual evidence.

Last edited:

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My knowledge is accurate

- 'hating' Collingwood was a narrative created by Collingwood to motivate, galvanise and achieve success for Collingwood. Us against them, blah blah blah, biggest club in the land. Its all fantasy and none of it is true.

Reality is - they haven't done damage since the 1920s and IN MY OPINION (dunno if you can comprehend this) I dont hate them.

Also - whilst looking at the poll, Collingwood aren't hated by everyone who's taken the poll. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe you have an overinflated opinion of your club? Maybe you think the world centres around Collingwood when in actual fact, your world centres around Collingwood. No one cares man, they aint on anyones radar.
Gee, we have arrived at the crux for the origins of this thread very early in the piece, haven't we?!?

An insecure little Tiggers supporter hoping his team has displaced the mighty Collingwood team as the most hated in the land.

Sorry pal, your fleeting luck over the past handful of seasons after being a laughing stock for more than three decades doesn't displace a team that has been hated by everyone who doesn't love them since the competition began.

My knowledge is accurate

Nothing to do with anything you just spouted. Your comment was that Collingwood had not had a dynasty since Worid War 1. That is either ill informed or a lie. Please make sure you get your facts correct if you are going to make sweeping statements.

where is the option for the club whose coach fu**s an admin staff member while still married?

Oh don't worry just realised the OP is a Richmond supporter

Thats 3 time premiership coach admin staff *er to you, pal

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Nothing to do with anything you just spouted. Your comment was that Collingwood had not had a dynasty since Worid War 1. That is either ill informed or a lie. Please make sure you get your facts correct if you are going to make sweeping statements.

I am sorry, the 'great' Collingwood's dynasty ended in 1936 - where they won their 11th premiership.

Only to win 4 more in 84 years.

How we are all filled with hatred and fear of such excellence 😂

Again - you are clutching at straws, you aren't hated, you aren't in the way of clubs getting successful, you don't cheat and you should just be happy about that. Why does every Collingwood supporter wanna jump up and say they're hated?

I am sorry, the 'great' Collingwood's dynasty ended in 1936 - where they won their 11th premiership.

Only to win 4 more in 84 years.

How we are all filled with hatred and fear of such excellence 😂

Again - you are clutching at straws, you aren't hated, you aren't in the way of clubs getting successful, you don't cheat and you should just be happy about that. Why does every Collingwood supporter wanna jump up and say they're hated?

Not once have I said a word about being hated but I am glad you feel the need to keep talking about my club. Your passion for us is admirable.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Op can't even get his facts right lol what a vlaka.
Greek going for Carlton makes no sense. Your parents raised you wrong.

Italians - Carlton
Greeks - Richmond and Collingwoo
Not once have I said a word about being hated but I am glad you feel the need to keep talking about my club. Your passion for us is admirable.
Wtf 😂😂

I never bothered until your supporters got their knickers in a knot

'We are hated too!!! We are too!!'

Im just giving reasons, you keep bouncing back and forth

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's only one club I hate, and I despise them.

Carlton.

I have enjoyed every minute of their mediocrity over the past two decades, and long may it continue.

Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and Sydney - I respect the way these teams go about their football. Long term success on the field - that is what we all aspire to.

Melbourne and Richmond - Nothing but pity for these two teams. Both go decades on end without contending for premierships; not sure how both teams are still in the competition to be honest.

Feelings for other teams come and go on a year to year basis.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hawthorn.

So many of their fans are insufferable. It’s like they think the sun literally shines out of Glenferrie road.

In reality Clarkson’s an angry little midget, Hodge is a drink driving Voss wannabe, and they’re the luckiest club going around- after getting Hodge and Roughead as priority picks. Going on to win 3 prelims in a row by under a goal and the following year getting the opportunity to avenge their qualifying final belting with an MCG Grand Final against the homesick Eagles, who struggled outside the familiar confines of Perth. Despite Hawthorn finishing 3rd and the Eagles 2nd.

If Chapman hadn’t been suspended in 2013 and if the AFL actually allowed teams to play home finals after they earn them, then Hawthorn probably wins one flag in 2013-2015 instead of a 3peat. And the reason they’d have one is Port’s errant kicking in the 2014 prelim, with Port having 7 more scoring shots and 6 more inside 50s but Hawthorn coming away with the 3 point win.

And 2008, I can’t take that away from them. Great effort to be fair.

But very happy they’re outside the 8 and hopefully remain there for a while! Learn humility.

Essendon is winning this poll? The club leadership was disgraceful, but I feel sorry for their fans - and the players- who were put through that debacle. Can't say I particularly detest them. It's more pity. Even empathy for fans whose club suffered immensely due to a few rogue individuals.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He glides around packs all shimmery without ever getting dirty and gritty. He is ken hinkley on ice skates. I wouldnt want to be in the trenches with him. He lacks mongrel and fight. Yet somehow constantly gets away with it from the media and football public. He took the smug from buckley and amplified it.

Did you just describe Gazza Jnr without mentioning the sell out bit and sooky tantrums

Bicko

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I can’t stand Gold Coast. Absolute waste of time. Get annoyed every time I want to watch a game and they are playing. Feel a little like that about Freo too. Maybe because their jumpers are crap, I don’t know.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont get the hate for Essendon at all - the Dons were a great club once - and i really detest supporters ( even from the club i support ) when they call them Druggies and cheats - i just think they are classless posters .

Sure it was just beyond stupid what Hird did - you just shake your head in disbelief - to basically wreck - a once great club - but that club - like every other club has got a stack of supporters

Andrew Demitriou love him or hate - but he was spot on and he called it before it erupted - the sports science was getting all out of whack and he didnt like it

I can remember James Kelly when he was playing for Geel - he said for a Friday night game - before the game they would give you a caffeine tablet - now he said that made you sharp and alert and all the rest of it - however the only problem was - after the game - you couldnt get to sleep - so you had to take something else to get to sleep - clubs were bugggerising around to get any perceived advantage

Did Ess prosper on an individual basis - you take Jobe Watson who won the Brownlow ( and in my opinion won it fair and square - and should be able to keep it ) . Jobe was never quick - he was no Oakleigh Plater - in fact he was borderline slow - and no opposition supporter can claim that Jobe suddenly found a yard or two . You contrast that to Akermanis ( and im not saying i agree with him ) but he accused a certain player - and the reason did - he said that players physical attributes/capabilities changed dramatically - that didnt happen with Jobe at all - no way

You look at Ess as a club - did they benefit/prosper from it - no way . How i look at it - their like a Melb Cup horse - pre race the experts were saying - look this thing will finish between 10th and 15th - and thats where it finished - and there was no improvement whatsover - they finished where everyone thought they would

So ive got no hatred of the Essendon Club at all

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont get the hate for Essendon at all - the Dons were a great club once - and i really detest supporters ( even from the club i support ) when they call them Druggies and cheats - i just think they are classless posters .

Sure it was just beyond stupid what Hird did - you just shake your head in disbelief - to basically wreck - a once great club - but that club - like every other club has got a stack of supporters

Andrew Demitriou love him or hate - but he was spot on and he called it before it erupted - the sports science was getting all out of whack and he didnt like it

I can remember James Kelly when he was playing for Geel - he said for a Friday night game - before the game they would give you a caffeine tablet - now he said that made you sharp and alert and all the rest of it - however the only problem was - after the game - you couldnt get to sleep - so you had to take something else to get to sleep - clubs were bugggerising around to get any perceived advantage

Did Ess prosper on an individual basis - you take Jobe Watson who won the Brownlow ( and in my opinion won it fair and square - and should be able to keep it ) . Jobe was never quick - he was no Oakleigh Plater - in fact he was borderline slow - and no opposition supporter can claim that Jobe suddenly found a yard or two . You contrast that to Akermanis ( and im not saying i agree with him ) but he accused a certain player - and the reason did - he said that players physical attributes/capabilities changed dramatically - that didnt happen with Jobe at all - no way

You look at Ess as a club - did they benefit/prosper from it - no way . How i look at it - their like a Melb Cup horse - pre race the experts were saying - look this thing will finish between 10th and 15th - and thats where it finished - and there was no improvement whatsover - they finished where everyone thought they would

So ive got no hatred of the Essendon Club at all

Geelong were the club that benefited most from Dank. Maybe everybody should hate them?

Back