Top 5 - Most Hated Teams in the AFL Era (poll included)

Most hated club in the afl era?

• Essendon

Votes: 133 33.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Other

• Geelong

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Port Adelaide

• Adelaide

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Richmond

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • St. Kilda

• GWS

• Bulldogs

• Fremantle

• Gold Coast

• Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 9.0%
  • Melbourne (someone please vote Melbourne)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We're too crap to be hated, but I'm sure there are plenty who (rightfully) hate us for the tanking etc.

Collingwood is one of those clubs I actually don't mind, I reckon footy in Melbourne is better when they're up and about, Richmond too.

Never liked Essendon though.
I voted for the D's because your post hit the mark. Melbourne are so bland and irrelevant that, bland and irrelevant for 50 yrs have conducted weekly 10 hr meetings with the club to determine they're true dictionary definition.

Melbourne are so crap that they failed miserably to merge and make themselves sort of relevant. They have given up trying to merge. I hate you for this. Merge with Tasmania FFS...NOW.

And while you're at find some guts:

Bugger off out of the MCG, you have no hope of ever filling it, probably solely responsible for driving up the prices of grub and drink for the average punter at this ground. Lobby and drive the establishment of a boutique stadium of about 15K so it will look like someone is vaguely interested in the sport when an interstate team or Pink lobs into Melbs.

Get a coach who can have a dramatic and controversial split with his wife.

The damn whingeing about draft concessions gets you special hate. The habit of your 15 &1/2 supporters turning up dressed in suits does too.

I'm off to vote for "other" now too because all suit wearers to AFL games deserve hate. The dress code for the game is a team jumper. Hoodie acceptable as a high fashion item. Jeans and footwear that does not have a leather sole. Period.

How'd I do? Let's at least try to win something!!

Geelong - the original and still best drug cheats in AFL, with the most horrible and stupid home ground in AFL - taxpayer paid, where the most arrogant tosser of coach still works.

I actually felt sorry for fans in 2018

Funny you say this. My best friend is a Collingwood supporter and I felt a lot of guilt about winning.

Most of my guilt was that I had predicted the game in a chat the day before. A good old Collingwood v Eagles game where Collingwood get 5 goals up and Eagles chip away and hit the lead at three quarter time and win by 20 points. Which we would have had we kicked straight.

He texted after the game to say he was too distraught to talk. I can’t take that it’s happened again

Realistically, they had all the advantages. Home ground advantage and a five goal head start!

Also, I love our rivalry and really like Bucks how caring he seems to be.

Funny you say this. My best friend is a Collingwood supporter and I felt a lot of guilt about winning.

Most of my guilt was that I had predicted the game in a chat the day before. A good old Collingwood v Eagles game where Collingwood get 5 goals up and Eagles chip away and hit the lead at three quarter time and win by 20 points. Which we would have had we kicked straight.

He texted after the game to say he was too distraught to talk. I can’t take that it’s happened again

Realistically, they had all the advantages. Home ground advantage and a five goal head start!

You guys would know game better than me but were Pies just holding on last qtr and eagles dominating but couldn't put it away?

Our cheating doesn't hold a candle to Carltons standard bearing stuff. The elite.
I never agree with you on ANYTHING

But I do agree with you on this. Geelong are a very well run organisation and before Richmond attained their success, they leadership aspired to reach the consistency that Geelong have accomplished.

As for cheating? Nah, Geelong were cheated in the 90s by clubs that breached the salary cap.

You guys would know game better than me but were Pies just holding on last qtr and eagles dominating but couldn't put it away?

Eagles 3-6 to Collingwood 3-1 with 2 goals at the start so effectively 3-6 to 1-1 from then. So maybe you could say it should have been more.

To add a little sauce to the story. I had stated for 25 years my dream was to beat Collingwood in a GF by coming from 30 points down!

I need to get a new dream. I’d actually quite like Collingwood to beat Richmond in a GF. I’d also like to beat Hawthorn or Richmond in a GF.

Actually, I’ll be honest that my new dream is for the AFL to be a truly national league with home and away fixtures with 12- 14 teams or 2 divisions.

I never agree with you on ANYTHING

But I do agree with you on this. Geelong are a very well run organisation and before Richmond attained their success, they leadership aspired to reach the consistency that Geelong have accomplished.

As for cheating? Nah, Geelong were cheated in the 90s by clubs that breached the salary cap.

Yep- Geelong didn’t get what they deserved

I voted Melbourne. Barracking for Melbourne is a guarantee that you will never be happy, this sadness turns into hatred. Raw, unbridled hatred that serves no purpose but to fill the empty hole left in each supporters heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My hated teams change all the time, right now probably Collingwood, still a bit pissed we lost to them last year.

I'd rather be hated than to be one of those teams everyone has a 'soft spot' for due to being mostly irrelevant.

You should love Collingwood, bet you were licking your lips once you knew who your GF opponent was.

But you hate us coz you lost an elim to us. :confusedv1:

Short memory mate.

Rivalry? We don't have a rivalry, WC clearly well ahead in the performance stakes, no contest.

You should love Collingwood, bet you were licking your lips once you knew who your GF opponent was.

But you hate us coz you lost an elim to us. :confusedv1:

Short memory mate.
Hate is too strong a word, I dont hate Collingwood, just when your last game of the year is a loss, at home, it sticks with you all off season. I felt the same about the dogs after 2016, but when 2017 season started I was over it.

And ironically I felt uneasy when you won the prelim that friday night, you made them look second rate, had Richmond won all the pressure would have been on them to go back to back, and their form end of season was average at best, I think perhaps I was worried more, despite us winning the last game at the MCG between the sides (first time since the 90s I believe), you could have argued that it was a one off. I was actually more concerned lol.

Hate is too strong a word, I dont hate Collingwood, just when your last game of the year is a loss, at home, it sticks with you all off season. I felt the same about the dogs after 2016, but when 2017 season started I was over it.

And ironically I felt uneasy when you won the prelim that friday night, you made them look second rate, had Richmond won all the pressure would have been on them to go back to back, and their form end of season was average at best, I think perhaps I was worried more, despite us winning the last game at the MCG between the sides (first time since the 90s I believe), you could have argued that it was a one off. I was actually more concerned lol.

It sticks with you in the off season, how many off seasons over the past 6 decades do you reckon Pies fans have had 'stuck' with them?

In fact it's a part of life for a Pies fan, you become immune to the forever teasing but rarely pleasing, the forever false hope. One of the most resilient fan bases on the planet.

Nah, if anyone should hate (or whatever you wanna call it) Collingwood it's Collingwood and their fan base themselves. Everyone else should pity the Pies or stick the boots in, whatever floats your boat.

At some point, one team will have the never lived down embarrassment of losing to us in the GF, may as well win the spoon, it is inevitable. Sorry aints and bomb outs fans.

It sticks with you in the off season, how many off seasons over the past 6 decades do you reckon Pies fans have had 'stuck' with them?

In fact it's a part of life for a Pies fan, you become immune to the forever teasing but rarely pleasing, the forever false hope. One of the most resilient fan bases on the planet.

Nah, if anyone should hate (or whatever you wanna call it) Collingwood it's Collingwood and their fan base themselves. Everyone else should pity the Pies or stick the boots in, whatever floats your boat.

At some point, one team will have the never lived down embarrassment of losing to us in the GF, may as well win the spoon, it is inevitable. Sorry aints and bomb outs fans.

I remember speaking to my friend’s son when he was young about who to support. His dad is Collingwood and mum West Coast.

I remember telling him Collingwood are an amazing club with a strong, passionate and resilient fan base. Benefits are constant national media attention and prime time fixtures. Cons are negative attention from other clubs and the pain of disappointment.

West Coast are also an amazing club with a massive fan base. Benefit of a successful, well run club that still has disappointments but not so many. Cons are little media attention nationally, much less favourable fixtures, harder to win a premiership as don’t play grand finals at home. Also, West Coast is a slick business that reduces stadium capacity to guarantee continued demand via scarcity that means you have to wait 10 years to get a seat! Sometimes I feel financial success is valued over winning premierships.

Our cheating doesn't hold a candle to Carltons standard bearing stuff. The elite.

You've hosted blokes like Dank and Robinson as well as carried a dodgy character and kept him on as your coach and then helped him take his habits back to Essendon with a magnificent reference to go - smartest operators in the 21st century by a long way...good ol Frank must have had a fair bit of dirt on his mates at AFLHQ - obviously:straining:

fooking funny that. John Elliott says"pigs arse"

As if Elliott and Carlton had a monopoly in under the table payments? IF so you have to admire all the competition so many other teams have put up since - and that is just stuff that was allowed to get out...spare me your naivety please 0 and pass over what you are smokin. ;)

I remember speaking to my friend’s son when he was young about who to support. His dad is Collingwood and mum West Coast.

I remember telling him Collingwood are an amazing club with a strong, passionate and resilient fan base. Benefits are constant national media attention and prime time fixtures. Cons are negative attention from other clubs and the pain of disappointment.

West Coast are also an amazing club with a massive fan base. Benefit of a successful, well run club that still has disappointments but not so many. Cons are little media attention nationally, much less favourable fixtures, harder to win a premiership as don’t play grand finals at home. Also, West Coast is a slick business that reduces stadium capacity to guarantee continued demand via scarcity that means you have to wait 10 years to get a seat! Sometimes I feel financial success is valued over winning premierships.

Make no mistake though, Collingwood are not and should not be hated (or revered) for success. WC are different, I know Freo fans here lament the success of WC, not to mention just about every other oppo fan in the land, WC are hated more for their success than what Collingwood are.

Collingwood are also a very good business unit that continuously and frustratingly does not use its advantages to potential where as WC does. In fact it perpetually shoots itself in the foot.

There's a distinct difference there, but the thing that grates so much is that Colllingwood could and should be that club, right now we're no better than a Dees or Saints. How this club has its profile and media attention is not deserved and is quite frankly an astonishing anomaly.

See this thinking is just wrong, this competition is NOT representation football. It's a club premiership competition.

Ad nauseum I have asked / suggested if this is the reason that the wa and sa public dumped their clubs that have been around forever like a bad habit on these boards.

The moment I ask / suggest it, they all get defensive and go into denial mode.

Anyway hate your mob, Wayne Harmes If I met him on the street.............................. who knows how I'd react.

I don't mind Collingwood actually, Daicos was brilliant. Wearmouth was an honest trier with cool hair (not as good as Alvin's though), Ray Shaw was one of my favourite players from any club, I supported the Pies in that GF versus West Coast.

As for your other comment, I agree with you strongly on that. In Perth in 1986, people were like "Go South Freo, East Perth suck..." 1987 it was "Go Eagles, ah, WAFL? What's that? No-one cares about that anymore." Club loyalty died in March 1987.

Last edited:
Yep, I also know several greek Carlton supporters.
None of my fellow greek family friends that follow the Blues, or myself, have ever lived in Carlton. I chose Carlton when I was a kid because I liked the name, the colours and players like Jesaulenko.
One family friend chose Geelong when he migrated here from Cyprus because the cats jumper reminded him of the greek flag.

This is off-topic but I want to say that Football Federation Australia has been disgraceful for not admitting South Melbourne Hellas into the A-League.

It's like having Christianity and Satanism as your favourite religions.

Both of them are not bad, one is just the mirror-image of the other but they use the same concepts. Both believe in God and both believe in the devil (talking about theistic satanism here) it's just like two teams but it's the same sport.

Back