Top 5 - Most Hated Teams in the AFL Era (poll included)

Most hated club in the afl era?

• Essendon

Votes: 133 33.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Other

• Geelong

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Port Adelaide

• Adelaide

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Richmond

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • St. Kilda

• GWS

• Bulldogs

• Fremantle

• Gold Coast

• Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 9.0%
  • Melbourne (someone please vote Melbourne)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

mcfazza28

Senior List
Jul 16, 2011
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fulham
I don't mind Collingwood actually, Daicos was brilliant. Wearmouth was an honest trier with cool hair (not as good as Alvin's though), Ray Shaw was one of my favourite players from any club, I supported the Pies in that GF versus West Coast.

As for your other comment, I agree with you strongly on that. In Perth in 1986, people were like "Go South Freo, East Perth suck..." 1987 it was "Go Eagles, ah, WAFL? What's that? No-one cares about that anymore." Club loyalty died in March 1987.

I’ve confessed my sins before. Also discussed my motivation for switching from North Melbourne to West Coast.

Proud Western Australian who always wanted to support a local club at the highest level. Went to loads of games in the early years whilst still going to watch Subiaco as well.

I couldn’t get to North’s games and had only got to one game back in 1983.

It’s odd as I don’t really feel any affection for North anymore. The only other team I feel anything for is Adelaide as I feel they are our sister club.

Most of my friends and I are still huge fans of South and Subiaco

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve confessed my sins before. Also discussed my motivation for switching from North Melbourne to West Coast.

Proud Western Australian who always wanted to support a local club at the highest level. Went to loads of games in the early years whilst still going to watch Subiaco as well.

I couldn’t get to North’s games and had only got to one game back in 1983.

It’s odd as I don’t really feel any affection for North anymore. The only other team I feel anything for is Adelaide as I feel they are our sister club.

Most of my friends and I are still huge fans of South and Subiaco

Well, if you still support Subi, that's totally cool as far as I'm concerned. I could never get into West Coast but obviously others could.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong - the original and still best drug cheats in AFL, with the most horrible and stupid home ground in AFL - taxpayer paid, where the most arrogant tosser of coach still works.
Fair chance Carlton have been given a handout to update Princess Park.
The Victorian Government has invested $20 million in the $42 million project, with the Federal Government providing $15 million and Carlton Football Club with support from the AFL contributing the remaining funds.

carlton.gif

Fair chance Carlton have been given a handout to update Princess Park.
The Victorian Government has invested $20 million in the $42 million project, with the Federal Government providing $15 million and Carlton Football Club with support from the AFL contributing the remaining funds.

View attachment 1047747

I'd be happy if the upgrade to Princes Park woudl allow for home games at Carlton - sadly it is intended to host only AFLW games and maybe VFL ( dont know) I think the maximum fans that it can handle will be 20K after a stand is knocked down. Geelong enjoy a much larger capacity ground and can host AFL games - and good luck to you for getting it done - a pity the actual ground is such an odd shape compard to most.

I voted for the D's because your post hit the mark. Melbourne are so bland and irrelevant that, bland and irrelevant for 50 yrs have conducted weekly 10 hr meetings with the club to determine they're true dictionary definition.

Melbourne are so crap that they failed miserably to merge and make themselves sort of relevant. They have given up trying to merge. I hate you for this. Merge with Tasmania FFS...NOW.

And while you're at find some guts:

Bugger off out of the MCG, you have no hope of ever filling it, probably solely responsible for driving up the prices of grub and drink for the average punter at this ground. Lobby and drive the establishment of a boutique stadium of about 15K so it will look like someone is vaguely interested in the sport when an interstate team or Pink lobs into Melbs.

Get a coach who can have a dramatic and controversial split with his wife.

The damn whingeing about draft concessions gets you special hate. The habit of your 15 &1/2 supporters turning up dressed in suits does too.

I'm off to vote for "other" now too because all suit wearers to AFL games deserve hate. The dress code for the game is a team jumper. Hoodie acceptable as a high fashion item. Jeans and footwear that does not have a leather sole. Period.

How'd I do? Let's at least try to win something!!

This has not aged well. A lot of it was weird to begin with given similar could be said about Richmond a few years prior.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I'd be happy if the upgrade to Princes Park woudl allow for home games at Carlton - sadly it is intended to host only AFLW games and maybe VFL ( dont know) I think the maximum fans that it can handle will be 20K after a stand is knocked down. Geelong enjoy a much larger capacity ground and can host AFL games - and good luck to you for getting it done - a pity the actual ground is such an odd shape compard to most.
Off topic here. Isn't a couple of those old grandstands at princes park can't be demolished due to being heritage listed?

Again.... If it is possible to expand the seating capacity to 25,000 or even 30,000 seats, I am sure Carlton fans would want 3 or 4 games a season there.

I want north to play games there as it would suit them over Docklands at the moment.

Off topic here. Isn't a couple of those old grandstands at princes park can't be demolished due to being heritage listed?

Again.... If it is possible to expand the seating capacity to 25,000 or even 30,000 seats, I am sure Carlton fans would want 3 or 4 games a season there.

I want north to play games there as it would suit them over Docklands at the moment.
I'm no expert on the matter but I was told once that the #1 limiting factor is actually transport to the place since there is very little parking and no trains- just trams ...I always drop in whenever I get down to Melbum for a stay - beautiful ground and lovely parkland around it.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I'm no expert on the matter but I was told once that the #1 limiting factor is actually transport to the place since there is very little parking and no trains- just trams ...I always drop in whenever I get down to Melbum for a stay - beautiful ground and lovely parkland around it.

There’s a train stop at the zoo which is a leisurely step away. Very little known I’ve gone to and from mostly empty trains while trams are chokkas
Or at least back when it had AFLM

There’s a train stop at the zoo which is a leisurely step away. Very little known I’ve gone to and from mostly empty trains while trams are chokkas
Or at least back when it had AFLM
A lot of Carlton supporters would love to have a home ground at Princes Park of course- but with membership numbers now approaching 90K I don't think the ground could hold 30k...there is an argument for home games against maybe interstate teams with less support but you'd need 40k minimum to justify it....

More amenity for people at the G or Marvel even...

Back