GrandBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
List your top 5 films that you think are rated a lot higher than they deserve to be. Remember, everything here is subjective.

1. The Shawshank Redemption
daylight
2. To Kill a Mockingbird
3. Life is Beautiful
4. District 9
5. Memento

1. Forrest Gump - the political innuendo in this film made me puke
2. The Shawshank Redemption - Saccharine-laden swill
3. 13 Assasins - poor man's Seven Samurai
4. It's a wonderful life - I hate Capra. Just wanted to punch Jimmy Stewart in the gob.
5. Saving Private Ryan - After an incredible opening it declined rapidly

This is what will happen in this thread; already some ^ wtf choices.

1419898_o.gif

1. Forrest Gump - the political innuendo in this film made me puke
2. The Shawshank Redemption - Saccharine-laden swill
3. 13 Assasins - poor man's Seven Samurai
4. It's a wonderful life - I hate Capra. Just wanted to punch Jimmy Stewart in the gob.
5. Saving Private Ryan - After an incredible opening it declined rapidly
pretty much this.

In no order

Saving Private Ryan
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
American History X
anything by Jean Luc Godard

to a lesser degree, I like Goodfellas & Mad Max 2, but both are a little overpraised imo.

Pretty much all the tasteless gangster movies that glorify and glamorise cowardly scum.

Godfather movies, goodfellas etc..

They're good movies (solid 7/10) but they're reputation is greatly exaggerated by certain people's morbid fascination with the mafia and other criminal element.

Pretty much all the tasteless gangster movies that glorify and glamorise cowardly scum.

Godfather movies, goodfellas etc..

They're good movies (solid 7/10) but they're reputation is greatly exaggerated by certain people's morbid fascination with the mafia and other criminal element.

I am certain people

No particular order:

The Deer Hunter
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull

Can't really fault the acting in any of them, just found them all very hard to watch due to poor pacing.

Also I've never understood the love for Unforgiven, seems like a cookie cutter western for mine.

In no order

Saving Private Ryan
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
American History X
anything by Jean Luc Godard

to a lesser degree, I like Goodfellas & Mad Max 2, but both are a little overpraised imo.
You're an idiot[/charcoalchicken]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice troll :thumbsu:

You obviously disagree then! The thread isn't 'crap movies some of your friends like'. The ones I mentioned are rated by many as bests of all time, haven't said any of the them are bad movies per say, just that I can't see the major attractions others do.

1. Fight Club - good film; but the way some people hold it up as their bible is alarming.

2. The Dark Knight - Ledger was fantastic, the rest was meh, and I thought Begins was better.

3. Inglourious Basterds - pretty sure Tarantino made this with his heae up his arse. Kudos to Waltz and the chick who played Shosanna, though - focused solely on them, the movie would have been salvageable.

4. Dances With Wolves - sappy forgettable Costner s**t.

5. The Blair Witch Project - * that movie.

Saving Private Ryan - Definitely...defined by the opening and quality was sporadic after that (compounded by me watching Thin Red Line shortly thereafter - imho was way better).
Inglorius Basterds - way overrated, a good bar scene but ultimately just couldn't care about the movie.
Sin City - a concept that got old on me quickly.
Ironman - was ok but way over rated
Unforgiven - didn't really want to finish watching it....

No particular order:

The Deer Hunter
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull

Can't really fault the acting in any of them, just found them all very hard to watch due to poor pacing.

Also I've never understood the love for Unforgiven, seems like a cookie cutter western for mine.

Is your favourite movie Transformers or something? Pacing was good I heard, fast fast fast!

1. Fight Club - good film; but the way some people hold it up as their bible is alarming.

2. The Dark Knight - Ledger was fantastic, the rest was meh, and I thought Begins was better.

3. Inglourious Basterds - pretty sure Tarantino made this with his heae up his arse. Kudos to Waltz and the chick who played Shosanna, though - focused solely on them, the movie would have been salvageable.

4. Dances With Wolves - sappy forgettable Costner s**t.

5. The Blair Witch Project - **** that movie.

Came out around the same time as the infinitely superior "Black Robe" which was criminally ignored

Remove this Banner Ad

Back