Movie Top 5 Most Overrated Films

Remove this Banner Ad

Fight Club
Deadpool
Avengers 2
Mystic River
Blazing Saddles

The grand winner however is Tree of Life. Pretentious wank with no redeeming features, cannot understand why so many love it. The dinosaur scene is just one bad scene is a series of overrated obvious Oscar-bait scenes with nothing coherent or sensible linking what the director is attempting to do. If I wanted to watch random crap with no sense of purpose or storytelling I'd go to a stock film marathon.

F*** that s**t.

Pulp Fiction
The Dark Knight
Se7en
Terminator 2
Groundhog Day

Avatar. Dunno if it's overrated or not, it certainly got the cash registers turning over. But a completely over-hyped, over-long rather empty movie with all the trademark James Cameron turgidity just beneath the surface. I hated Titanic too.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is another way over-rated film too.

And one could probably make a case for most films containing Russell Crowe too: Gladiator, Beautiful Mind...
how the movie that is apparently the highest grossing ever can be so 'meh' with no-one really caring about in the same way as other franchises boggles the mind. I mean have you seen any avatar fanboys around?

Fight Club
Deadpool
Avengers 2
Mystic River
Blazing Saddles

The grand winner however is Tree of Life. Pretentious wank with no redeeming features, cannot understand why so many love it. The dinosaur scene is just one bad scene is a series of overrated obvious Oscar-bait scenes with nothing coherent or sensible linking what the director is attempting to do. If I wanted to watch random crap with no sense of purpose or storytelling I'd go to a stock film marathon.

F*** that s**t.

I wouldn't call Tree of Life an oscar bait film, it's Terrence Malick we're talking about.

how the movie that is apparently the highest grossing ever can be so 'meh' with no-one really caring about in the same way as other franchises boggles the mind. I mean have you seen any avatar fanboys around?

The media hype train rabbiting on about the 3D effects meant it drew in every audience / demographic under the sun. Male or female, young or old...everyone just HAD to see it.

I pray the supposed sequels that are in the works completely tank at the box office.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think Room last year was all that great. It seemed to draw strong emotional reactions from people but it just made me numb. And that kid was more annoying than anything, it hurt me that it turned out to basically be his movie.

Similarly, Beasts of the Southern Wild has a lead child character who I found brutal to watch.

Both directors were nominated for Oscars too, and neither particularly wowed me. Both seemed amateurish to me, over-sentimental

I am not a fan of The Exorcist. Maybe I was expecting a horror film and it did nothing for me. I love almost all of Friedkin's other movies too.

Most overrated movie of all-time, probably Big Trouble in Little China, at least in the circles its touted in. It's built up as this great, big, hella fun movie but boy is it flat, unfunny, and grotesque in my eyes.

Any Marvel superhero films
Star Wars films
Apocalypse Now
Kill Bill
(I love Tarantino films, but don't care for KB)
Creed
The Lego Movie
Shrek
There Will Be Blood
Silver Linings Playbook
Frozen

F*** forgot Silver Linings Playbook. An okay movie but it certainly didn't deserve the accolades. You could also argue that it is mental illness in blackface. Also probably kickstarted that Jennifer Lawrence/Bradley Cooper duo in successive movies which irritated me to no end.

A lot of people here don't understand what overrated means...

Anyhow, my selection for now.

Apocalypse Now (admittedly have only seen Redux)
Shawshank Redemption
Captain America: Winter Soldier (walking a line here, but I think it is considered one of the better Marvel movies)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
007: For Your Eyes Only (Another line walker, considered a return to classic Bond, low tech, small scale story, but featured a ridiculous opening scene, and I find it poorly paced)

Part Two...

Anything Tarantino that isn't Pulp Fiction of Django Unchained
Inception
Mad Max: Fury Road
Billy Madison
Billy Madison again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back