Top 5 Radio Stations in Melb

Remove this Banner Ad

Sly77

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2001
Vic - Qld - Vic - yep peoples I'm back!
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Ok - as a new Melbourne resident - I am try to preset my car radio stations. So far I have JJJ (nothing changes there!) and Nova - although despite everyone's raving about it, I have been rather disappointed in what I've heard.

Now I have 3 spots left and I really don't know what to preset them to. ABC classic will prob get a gurnsey in one if need be.

So guys? Input would be most welcomed

;)

If I were to go return to Victoria (and I've got no immediate plans to), I'd have one of the FM stations preset to MMM. If you're a JJJ listener it's probably closer to (but still nothing like) your wavelength than FOX would be, and they have football broadcasts.
Although for football 774 and 3AW are the best broadcasts. We don't get Rex in Sydney, so 3AW is a special treat for me during Victorian trips.

Another vote for K-ROCK. It's a Geelong station, but you should be able to get it in Melbourne. Whenever my wife Jennifer and I are on the road to Geelong, which is frequently enough, we always enjoy their programming-- especially in the afternoon drive-time slot.

Triple-M is another "must-listen-to" station, I agree. That and 3AW are absolutely indispensable sources on AFL gamedays whenever you find yourself on the road or away from a TV.

Cheers,
William

Remotely knowing your taste, Sly, I'd go for JJJ, RRR, MMM, Fox, and ABC.

The Hitman

I reckon Triple R is the best. 102.7FM, community radio with variety and cool announcers. After that, PBS 106.7 is good, again much MUCH better than the commercial stations in melb. I've listened to Nova a couple of times, but although it's better than the Fox for chicks/MMM for blokes, I haven't been able to stick with it. The J's are good, same as everywhere in Aus.

Oh, and for footy coverage, I guess you can listen to the MMMs or AM radio is quite good. Usually at least one call of big games, and calls of other games too if yr lucky!

Originally posted by you_idiot
Triple-M is another "must-listen-to" station, I agree. That and 3AW are absolutely indispensable sources on AFL gamedays whenever you find yourself on the road or away from a TV.
Sly, one thing you'll really enjoy having been in Brisbane for a while, is how much football comment you'll get on the radio. So much more than you'll have got used to.:)

Put Mix, Fox FM & MMM in for the rest of the places.

As for setting AM stations - well if you like Stan Zemanek make sure you set to 3AW (Sports Today is OK as well if you can stand Hookes), or if Jeff Kennett is more to your liking program 3AK in.

Originally posted by PeteLX
I reckon Triple R is the best. 102.7FM, community radio with variety and cool announcers.

Agreed. Sly, reserve one spot for the R's. It's a must! Okies and I'd give a spot to Fox as well.

And one more......ummmmmmm :confused: sorry, out of ideas. Radio generally bugs me due to lack of Beach Boys tunes. :mad:

I am going to go against the trend on this one and say Gold 104 is an absolute necessity. Admittedly, I listen to Nova Brekky coz I really enjoy it but on the weekends - gotta love those golden oldies!!! Hey, I'm only 21 but I still love singing along with all the classics - probably the only station in Melbourne that plays the Beegees, direstraits, pink floyed, the eagles, the beach boys, abba...need I go on?? (go the Saturday night party mix) :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

originally posted by Grinder
aw by a mile..
The footy call is worth tuning in for but as for the rest its like a journey back to the 1950's. RRR, 774 and MMM always provide good interest and a mention to Phillip Adams always an interesting spin on issues that dont get a run in the mainstream.

Originally posted by meg
MMM during the day, but in the morning 3AW with Ross and John. Ross has the quickest wit I've ever come across.

You need Adam Spencer and Wil Anderson in your life. ;) :p

The Hitman

Ok - I am taking all suggestions into consideration, however, how about I put down these ground rules.

From a radio station I want

1: No chart/teenybopper music

2: No (or close to) ads

3: No smart ass pathetic radio announcers, who think they're tired and worn out jokes are funny.

4: No golden oldies, or Jimmy Barnes (in any form!)

Simple really! But where do I find it?

Originally posted by Sly77
Ok - I am taking all suggestions into consideration, however, how about I put down these ground rules.

From a radio station I want

1: No chart/teenybopper music

2: No (or close to) ads

3: No smart ass pathetic radio announcers, who think they're tired and worn out jokes are funny.

4: No golden oldies, or Jimmy Barnes (in any form!)

Simple really! But where do I find it?

Not on FM radio you won't get what you're looking for.

Definitely Triple M. All the way out here it's the only one I can get clearly anyway, but when I do manage to tune others in, I always end up going back to Triple M anyway. Triple M rocks!! :)

Originally posted by Sly77
That rules out any breakfast radio anywhere.
Why is it that during the breakfast shifts it's never possible to find any radio stations that are actually playing music?

I have the stations preset this way.
FM: Nova FM, MIX 101, FOX, GOLD FM, TRIPLE M

AM: MAGIC 693, ABC, SPORT 927, 1116 3AK, 3AW

Surely out of that lot you will find something to listen to!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back