Only ones i have doubt over are

Pudney
Patmore
Hewett
Frederick
Johnson
Grundy

Everyone else i think will be best 22 someday

Atley i still have in that group, but hope is fading a bit there.

Houston's best imo is a Mundy 2015 season when he went All Australian.
Houston to me is a Mundy with better skills

Last edited:

Barrel was never the best player on his team, let alone in the league. Never won a best and fairest, not even in his Brownlow year. The Brownlow is a horses**t award anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying Houston won't be very good. But 'best in his position in the league' is an insanely high bar, especially for a midfielder. I don't think he's got it in him.
I agree. Houston will be class as a full time midfielder, but not best in league. Though with mid's it's a bit different in you'll have 4 - 6 core mid's in a side, but you're only going to have one lead ruck. So it's do any of our young mid's / potential mid's have the ability to become a top 5 / 6 in the league midfielder? Again at this point I'd say no, but of course happy to be proven wrong.

History suggests that best in class players play a lot of footy in the first 2 years post-draft (excluding rucks). I know that some players get interrupted by injury, but really the first couple of years is often key for players to have enough experience when their body is at it's peak.

This would suggest none of Bonner, Marshall, Farrell, Johnson, Drew, Atley, Garner, Frampton, Patmore will ever be best in class players.

So if we're looking just for best in class the realistic options are:
Ryan Burton
Dan Houston
Sam Powell-Pepper
Connor Rozee
Zak Butters
Xavier Duursma
Pete Ladhams
Sam Hayes

Each of these players has shown a lot but I believe the top 3 we know won't ever quite make best in class level - although still likely to be A-graders.

Rozee and Butters are the real highlights here as they have aspects you just can't teach and have played a lot of games this year while undersized (particularly Butters). While Duursma is an incredible leader and likely to be a great wing for 200+ games I don't see the same upside with him as I do the others. The rucks are wait and see prospects - they have mad potential, but you never know with talls.

1. Rozee
2. Duursma
3. Burton
4. SPP
5. Ladhams

Marshall, Houston, Drew, Woodcock and Butters coming after, but I have to admit I am FAAAR from convinced about Marshall.

Actually this thread gives us some hope!
That’s what I thought but then I realised these guys will have to go up against the likes of pick 21 for most of their career so what’s the point.

1. Rozee
2. Ladhams
3. Hayes
4. Duursma
5. Marshall
The top four are the ones I would nominate and in that order. Marshall is the one I would have most doubt about because even his best footy at the moment lacks sustained presence or dominance. I can’t imagine Todd ever being a consistent force at any level. To me, he is an icing on the cake player, although I’d love for him to emulate Hipwood’s early development.

I’m most bullish about Hayes, Ladhams, Rozee and Duursma. They’re the four potential A-graders on our list. Everyone else is B+ or less.

The top four are the ones I would nominate and in that order. Marshall is the one I would have most doubt about because even his best footy at the moment lacks sustained presence or dominance. I can’t imagine Todd ever being a consistent force at any level. To me, he is an icing on the cake player, although I’d love for him to emulate Hipwood’s early development.

I’m most bullish about Hayes, Ladhams, Rozee and Duursma. They’re the four potential A-graders on our list. Everyone else is B+ or less.

With the amount of advesity Marshall has seen since being drafted, I'd be amazed if he'd shown sustained dominance. He's going to be a fantastic player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5. Marshall I debated for awhile.. he has shown glimpses of what could come not confident to say that he will become a great player but I believe it's there.

Rozee and duursma both genuine guns in the future.

Ladhams at the moment over hayes because of exposed form.. I believe they could both with the right development become outstanding ruckmen (who hopefully will be able to play together)

You really dont rate Butters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back