Opinion Top 50 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Pearce as unlucky? he got subbed off at half time in rnd1 and barely got a touch last week. odd choice.

Last week Pearce had 25 touches at 76% eff.
8 were contested with 4 clearances and 4 i50s.
He also laid 5 tackles.

Obviously you just can't off the stats but it does suggest that against Sydney he was prominent (and I thought one of your best).
Hence why I have put him in the unluckies (right at the end mind you).
Granted that the week before he was non-existent.

Hi guys, here's an updated list with some of your suggestions.
Feel free to leave analysis' of the games this coming weekend.

top50-round-21.jpg

For mind the best five on the ground tonight were:
1. Judd - awesome and will jump to about 10-15 in the fifty.
2. Carrazzo - deserves to jump a few places again. Smashed Pendlebury.
3. Kreuzer - dominanted the ruck. May jump considerably.
4. Murphy - hard to get higher but will likely jump into the ten. Saying he was fourth best on ground is an understatement to his game tonight. He was dominant.
5. Henderson - two great games will place him in the 45-60 range. No troubles accounting for Cloke.
with apologies to Scotland, Betts and Waite.

Other players who will move:
Cloke - rarely sighted and will slide majorly.
Pendlebury - he wasn't poor so much as non-existent. His first-half he went unsighted. Will stay in the fifty because of his awesome first two rounds but I will look to drop him to about midway down the fifty.
Swan - possibly Collingwood's best but turned it over a lot. Can't see this performance breaking him into the fifty. The reigning Brownlow medallist has struggled so far this year.
Reid - unfortunate that he got injured but will reflect in his fifty rankings.
Thomas - did some good things but was monstered in the midfield.
Sidebottom - was not too bad and will likely keep him in the unluckies. Beat Yarran for most of the game.
Ball - hurt and did not have a good game when he wasn't.

Simpson - wasn't really important in the game but was solid. Will slide unfortunately.
Yarran - really was one of the few Carlton players down on output.
Laidler - another solid perfomance by him. Battled manfully at times against Dawes and made him a non-issue in the game.
Betts - great and may possibly be in the fifty by the end of the weekend.

Good on you for giving this a crack. The thing with lists like these is that some people don't understand that there is no wrong answer; its all opinion!

Scott Selwood has been brilliant in his first two games, I wonder what his chances are of remaining above Joel at season's end ;)

Good on you for giving this a crack. The thing with lists like these is that some people don't understand that there is no wrong answer; its all opinion!

Scott Selwood has been brilliant in his first two games, I wonder what his chances are of remaining above Joel at season's end ;)

I would be surprised if Scooter maintained a level above Joel.
Joel is as professional as they come in output and you just know he's going to be somewhere in the top ten come years end.
For Scott to continue in the form he is in would require a blistering year.
He's young enough that I'm not sure he'll be able to.
However, here's hoping.

Even though this is classed as opinion I am still going for accuracy. I welcome improvements to my list so if you watch a couple of games a weekend feel free to add your voice.

For instance, this weekend I went to last night's game, today's Rich v Melb and possibly Haw v Adel. I will certainly listen to WCE v GWS and watch a replay of that but I won't be able to watch any games tonight.

Hence, why I value other peoples opinions to fill in the gaps. The alternatives are to watch all the replays of all the games I missed (a reasonably accurate option but not really the same as being at the ground, plus working full time doesn't give me that luxury) or go off the report cards and statistics.

So open call to all those who make or watch matches around the country to give their input.

I think you are looking at possessions a little to much.
Fyfe for example is getting 29 possessions per game sure but is going at 52% DE and is averaging 8 and a half clangers per game miles ahead of everybody else in the league.

I think you might be the one looking at statistics a bit hard. Fyfe only has such a low DE because he was winning so much ball around packs and a lot of his possessions were quick kicks early. Fyfe definitely deserves his spot in the top 10.

Haven't seen either of Sydney's games but gee Kennedy must have been good to be above Ablett.

His game last week was crazy dominant.
36 touches, 22 contested and 10 clearances.
Head and shoulders BOG.

Thompson also has been BOG in both games.
Then it was pretty lineball between Pendlebury and Ablett.
With Pendlebury being really quiet last night I reckon Ablett will jump him.
Likely Kennedy won't maintain this output, but we'll see.

Kennedy has been a beast. Also starting to add outside work to his game and took some big marks late in the last against Freo. I'd probably have Ablett just ahead though but hardly worth arguing as it's so early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, have you seen Ablett?

Top 5 for the Swans so far this year.

1. Josh Kennedy (2nd best in the comp so far imo)
2. Lewis Jetta
3. Ted Richards
4. Nick Malceski
5. Kieren Jack

Wouldn't have Jack in the top 50 and the other 3 are borderline. Kennedy is way out in front atm.

Pretty safe to get rid of Cross off the unluckies, he wouldn't be in top 10 of B&F at moment,

Top 5 for Dogs at this stage would be;

1. Boyd
2. Dahlhaus
3. Murphy
4. Picken
5. Lake

Only Boyd in 50

Top 5 for Essendon is probably IMO
1.Ryder
2.Watson
3.Stanton
4.Jetta
5.Hibberd

First 3 were in the top 15 of your list, others would not be, Stanton goes down a bit Watson and Ryder stay roughly the same.

Top 5 for Collingwood so far.

Didak
Brown
Macaffa
Johnson
Elliot

i know these guys havn't played a senior game in 2012, but they must be leading our BaF IMO.

Excellent work guys.
Yeah Ablett's form is undeniable and will be no. 1.
Kennedy to no. 2 and Thompson to no. 3 for mind (depending on how he plays out the rest of the game).
Pendlebury slides to about 16-20. Stanton slides a little bit further.
Scott Selwood had a great game today. Not BOG but very good.
Will go into the top 5.

Other games I caught:
Richmond v. Melb:
Howe is the only Melb player who played legitimately well. Possibly take Magner off the unluckies.
Deledio not great yesterday. Will fall into the unluckies.
Cotchin good but Tuck and Grigg were the two keys for mind.
May slide slightly but big 2nd half as you say.
What were your thoughts on Maric's game?

West Coast v. GWS
:
Scooter was great as mentioned above.
Shuey BOG with his five goals. Will come into the fifty.
Gaff and Masten very close. One will probably come in.
Schofield stays in and goes slightly higher for mind.
Kennedy drops out.
Ward jumps into 35-40.
Cornes interesting dual with Lynch. Really the only tall forward to dominate. Will have to re-watch to determine how I think Cornes played.
Hurn, meh, think I'll move him to the unluckies.
Cox, not enough yet to get into the top 50. Naitanui has really taken the reigns this year.

Will be moving Murphy, Carrazzo and Sandilands into the top ten I think.

Thoughts from Haw v. Adel:
Mitchell - beaten by Sloane.
Slides to about 20ish.
Whitecross - excellent.
Will bump him up a bit.
Franklin - good but not dominant. Having said that great numbers for him.
Will go up a few spots.
Birchall - good until injury. Probably keep him in the unluckies.
Rioli - not up to it today. Will fall to the unluckies.
Lewis - great game. Did a job on Thompson and beat him.

Thompson - good first half but second half was really shut down by Lewis.
Will slide to 10-15.
Sloane - great shut-down job. Will probably keep him in the fifty because of it.
Walker - yuck, dominated by Gibson. Good first quarter then nothing. Not in the fifty anymore.
Tippett - liked his game but wasn't really involved in the second half.
van Berlo - worked into the game. Will slide though.
Reilly - no impact on the game.
Dangerfield - not their worst. Possibly top 50 material.

What are others thoughts on this game?

Excellent work guys.
Yeah Ablett's form is undeniable and will be no. 1.
Kennedy to no. 2 and Thompson to no. 3 for mind (depending on how he plays out the rest of the game).
Pendlebury slides to about 16-20. Stanton slides a little bit further.
Scott Selwood had a great game today. Not BOG but very good.
Will go into the top 5.

Other games I caught:
Richmond v. Melb:
Howe is the only Melb player who played legitimately well. Possibly take Magner off the unluckies.
Deledio not great yesterday. Will fall into the unluckies.
Cotchin good but Tuck and Grigg were the two keys for mind.
May slide slightly but big 2nd half as you say.
What were your thoughts on Maric's game.

Maric was average, probably drops off the unluckies. Deledio agree isn't top 50. I think Cotchin holds his spot and Rance moves up a few, but that's just me. I reckon he's been very very impressive. Easily our second best so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back