Opinion Top 50 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

nor would I have Boyd or Masten up *quite* as high as they are, for similar reasons - but I think your 50 is about right.

IMHO a few of the younger guys in there, who've torn up v GC/GWS will drop down/out, as the year goes on. Right now I think those games have thrown things a little bit out of whack - but that'll right itself soon enough.

Fair enough, I tend to agree with you regarding Boyd and Masten yet others disagree. Trying to find a balance.

Younger guys will likely drop down/out as you say when faced with tougher opposition. At the moment they deserve their positions but there won't be that many at the end of the year.

Big fan of these threads.

I only watch bits and pieces of various games over the weekend so I can't say too much. Howveer, in my opinion Michael Firrito would probably have been in North's top five players in every game so far and about 2nd-4th over the season. I would consider him in the unluckies over the other Kangaroos in there, but I respect I am probably in the minority on this.

Big fan of these threads.

I only watch bits and pieces of various games over the weekend so I can't say too much. Howveer, in my opinion Michael Firrito would probably have been in North's top five players in every game so far and about 2nd-4th over the season. I would consider him in the unluckies over the other Kangaroos in there, but I respect I am probably in the minority on this.

Agreed. Was expecting him to be a fringe player at best this year, he's obviously put in the hard yards over the pre-season as he seems to make contests he wouldn't have in the past, has surprised me to no end. Not top 50, but somewhere around the fringes.

Frawley would have to be going close to getting a look in.

has played in a team that has been getting smashed and has played on Merrett (Bri) (0 goals), Kennedy (WC) (1 goal) & reiwoldt (Rich) (1 goal)

has played in a team that has been getting smashed and has played on Merrett (Bri) (0 goals), Kennedy (WC) (1 goal) & reiwoldt (Rich) (1 goal)

Agreed. His team has been under all sorts of pressure but he has held out well. Deserves to be in the 50.

Didn't realise he was doing that well, those numbers are impressive. Extra good effort considering how disappointing the Dees have been.

From Carl v Ess:

Carrazzo - injured so will slide.
Murphy - not a good day at the office. Looked too slow in the first half. Better second half.
Judd - average or slightly better. Good first half but dominated in the second. Will slide to about 18-20.
Kreuzer - Nope, Bellchambers made a mockery of him.
Henderson - not bad not good. Fairly even battle with Hurley but Jamison took him at times too. Not sure I'll keep him in the fifty.
Laidler - not sure. Wasn't the worst backman on the Blue's backline.
Waite - kick straight, great. Missing means he only had a good game.
Simpson - best for Blues.

Watson - awesome especially in the centre. Will go into the top 5.
Crameri - awesome. 11 scoring shots.
Stanton - big accumulation of 36 touches. Important but not BOG (Watson for mind).
Ryder - not a big game will slide some.

Have to disagree, personally have Stanton BOG as do a large portion of Essendon supporters. Slightly ahead of Watson and Crameri. His spread and ability to find space was amazing, he was everywhere we needed him. One of the best motors in the league right now. Not only found a lot of the ball, but was super clean with it and was a link in a hell of a lot of scoring chains.

Not trying to sell short Jobe's game though, he was immense. 13 clearances and 20 contested possessions, was the best player at stoppages and in close, but he needed to be slightly cleaner with the ball to knock off Stants.

Crameri with the one vote, would have been 3 if only he didn't lean back and spray the ball when taking shots on goal. Being a the beast that he is with a massive engine, if he starts kicking straight he'll rip teams to shreds.

Have to disagree, personally have Stanton BOG as do a large portion of Essendon supporters. Slightly ahead of Watson and Crameri. His spread and ability to find space was amazing, he was everywhere we needed him. One of the best motors in the league right now. Not only found a lot of the ball, but was super clean with it and was a link in a hell of a lot of scoring chains.

Not trying to sell short Jobe's game though, he was immense. 13 clearances and 20 contested possessions, was the best player at stoppages and in close, but he needed to be slightly cleaner with the ball to knock off Stants.

Crameri with the one vote, would have been 3 if only he didn't lean back and spray the ball when taking shots on goal. Being a the beast that he is with a massive engine, if he starts kicking straight he'll rip teams to shreds.

Our disagreement doesn't really matter for my list as they will be proportionately bumped up.
So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My thoughts from the WCE v Haw:

Terrible game to watch but still interesting.
Still don't know which team is to blame for the gamestyle.
Selwood - good not great. Will drop because he is at the top of the list.
Shuey - playing injured. Will slide but wasn't bad.
Schofield - not as much flare but shut down Whitecross. Will stay about where he is.
Hurn - nowhere to see. Game didn't suit him.
Priddis - thereabouts. Good in patches. Potentially back in 50.
Gaff - had space which is more to be said than nearly any other player on the ground. May put into 50.
Naitanui - best big man on ground (despite Cox's great last quarter) and will keep him in the fifty. His influence belies his statistics.

Mitchell - slightly better than Scooter but not much in it. Kerr the dominant midfielder in the match. Will stay 10-15ish.
Franklin - probably got beaten by Mackenzie and was lucky to kick his one goal but did miss some opportunities. Seven frees against hurts though. Slide slightly.
Whitecross - not involved at all. Slides to 35-40.
Rioli - nope, two goals in last quarter won't save him. He was poor.
Gibson - another great game but conditions and game suited him. Will consider for fifty.
Lewis - another good game. Will stay in the fifty.

Kennedy was good again, not as dominant as the first three weeks though. But still worthy of votes. Jetta another good game and proving a dangerous player in the F50. Richards was the best of the three imo, just ahead of Kennedy.

For the Swans so far this year then:

1. Kennedy (1st, probably overtakes Ablett)
2. Richards (late teens/early 20's)
3. Jetta (late 30's)
4. Malceski (early 40's)
------------------------------
5. Bird (unlucky)
6. Jack (unlucky)
7. Parker (unlucky)

Fairly even after those guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Tigers:

Rance has now played 4 good games from 4. Not quite as good offensively as recent weeks but still did his job defensively. JPod and Hawkins only kicked a goal each. He and Grimes did very well.

Cotchin copped heaps of attention, but still managed to be one of our best with 24 touches and 9 tackles.

Deledio is starting to show the form we know he can, another 30+ possesion game. He's getting closer to the top 50, probably would sit somewhere between 40-60.

Maric was good again. Not top 50, but on the unluckies.

Grigg and Foley are both probably unlucky too, but may need another good game next week.

My suggestions:
Cotchin holds his spot in the 20s. Rance could slide a few but I'd still have him top 30.

Unluckies are: Deledio, Maric, Grimes
Potential unluckies: Foley, Grigg.

From Carl v Ess:

Carrazzo - injured so will slide.
Murphy - not a good day at the office. Looked too slow in the first half. Better second half.
Judd - average or slightly better. Good first half but dominated in the second. Will slide to about 18-20.
Kreuzer - Nope, Bellchambers made a mockery of him.
Henderson - not bad not good. Fairly even battle with Hurley but Jamison took him at times too. Not sure I'll keep him in the fifty.
Laidler - not sure. Wasn't the worst backman on the Blue's backline.
Waite - kick straight, great. Missing means he only had a good game.
Simpson - best for Blues.
Henderson was great. Had him as their best - clearly beat Hurley IMHO. Laidler battled it out, and held his own, clearly carrying a knock. Can't take much either way, dunno if he'll play next week.

I don't think there's any way you can call a key forward who did not kick a goal 'good'. You wouldn't call a midfielder who turned over all 25 of their kicks 'good', would you?

Watson - awesome especially in the centre. Will go into the top 5.
Crameri - awesome. 11 scoring shots.
Stanton - big accumulation of 36 touches. Important but not BOG (Watson for mind).
Ryder - not a big game will slide some.
Jetta also bloody good - 11 disposals doesn't nearly reflect how good he was.
Davey very good, but is always inconsistent.
Ryder did a role, rather than starring. Should slip, but not heaps.
Hibberd also solid - 10 marks (2 contested) amongst 21 possessions. Right up there in 'unlucky' group IMHO.
Monfries more of the same. Did a job, went hard, but didn't star or hurt the other side. Dunno why he's as high as 'unlucky'

From the Dogs v Melb game

Murphy and Dahlhaus were very good again
Boyd was poor
M.Clarke was poor

Thought Clark was OK. Could have kicked 3 or 4 goals up to mid way through the 3rd quarter. He then went off injured

Thought Clark was OK. Could have kicked 3 or 4 goals up to mid way through the 3rd quarter. He then went off injured

He had 3 effective posessions for game! Took a couple of greedy shots instead of doing team thing and his opponent was a ruckman playing as a defender as dogs had no tall defenders left. I was being generous saying he was poor, he was shocking.

Hi guys,
Here's the top 50 for this week.
top50-round-4.jpg

A couple of things:
Ablett will drop if he misses 2-3 weeks.
He is ahead but not substantially as many players had better games than him on the weekend. Also it's early in the season so missed games drop you a lot faster than later in the season.
There are four rucks in at the moment Ryder, Sandilands, Kreuzer and Naitanui. I wouldn't expect them to all stay in and four is probably the maximum amount of rucks that I'll have in the top 50 (unless, of course, there are more rucks with undeniable claims to the 50).
Adelaide and Carlton have the most players with 5 despite being defeated. You'll notice, however, that Essendon's four are all in the top 14.
West Coast and Sydney have had more spread (i.e. WC have a lot of good players falling 60-120ish).
Carrazzo will fall out after this week.
There are a lot of young kids in the top 50, which is great to see. There are 17 (Scott Selwood, Alex Rance, Tom Rockliff, Callan Ward, Trent Cotchin, Rory Sloane, Steele Sidebottom, Clancee Pearce, Lachie Henderson, Brendan Whitecross, Lewis Jetta, Ryan Bastinac, Matthew Kreuzer, Nic Naitanui, Luke Dahlhaus, Jack Ziebell and Patrick Dangerfield) in the 50 who are younger than 23 yrs of age.
I can't fit any Melbourne players in. Frawley (60-75) is their best probably followed by Clark (80-100). Feel free to correct me if you disagree.
I've scaled back on the unluckies for now.
There are a couple of key backs playing really well at the moment. I have Rance and Richards pretty evenly matched with Henderson and Taylor following. Others in consideration include Frawley, Chaplin, Mackenzie and Firrito. Anyone else I should consider?
How did the Port backs go? I was over the road at the 'G so I missed the match. I know Carlisle got beaten by Cloke but Chaplin and Surjan played well. Did they play well enough to warrant a top 50 selection, or unlucky?

Kennedy unlucky to fall but you have most of the Swans spot on. Not sure about O'Brien being unlucky?

Chaplin should definitely be in, would be in an AA team if I did one so far. Johnson for Freo, Surjan and Fisher are three others who should be mentioned as well. Cornes unlucky for GWS, he has been good considering he has been hammered by the opposition. Just as Bock was good last year for the Suns.

Podsiadly another one?

Kennedy unlucky to fall but you have most of the Swans spot on. Not sure about O'Brien being unlucky?

Chaplin should definitely be in, would be in an AA team if I did one so far. Johnson for Freo, Surjan and Fisher are three others who should be mentioned as well. Cornes unlucky for GWS, he has been good considering he has been hammered by the opposition. Just as Bock was good last year for the Suns.

Podsiadly another one?

From 2-5 is really even and can be switched around in whichever way.
Stanton's game was pretty undeniable on the weekend though. A big game from Kennedy could see him grab the no. 1 spot this week.
Will put Chaplin in this week.
Johnson, Surjan and Fisher will also be on there somewhere.
Cornes got smashed on the weekend. 9 touches is really poor. Hence why he fell out of my 50 and out of the unluckies. If he has a good game he'll be back on there somewhere.
Podsiadly was very quiet on the weekend. Again, possibly in the unluckies. Not in the top 50 for this round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back