Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Top 50 Round 16:
Top50-round-21.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running a top 50 again.
Last year's complete ranking system promoted accuracy but it is too much work for somebody working two jobs (one of them being a fulltime job).
So I'm going to do a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 system (this won't be comprehensive of my top 50 list it will just give you some idea how I'm ranking players).
This will give you something to argue with me over.
As always I value your contribution if you are willing to discuss your views positively.

Last edited:
From Coll (46) v Frem (116):
5. Barlow - worked in traffic all night and was fantastic at setting up many forward thrusts. Managed 13 contested possessions while keeping his disposal efficiency @ 76%.
4. Fyfe - I don't care that he missed the last quarter, the game was already won. And he was probably the best player when this happened. Struggled in the 1st quarter while receiving some heavy knocks but really flourished in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Was particularly devastating around the clearances with nine for the game.
3. Pearce - I know that he was on the end of plenty of good work but he made a lot of good decisions with the ball in his hands and really capitalized on some good running with two goals. 10 i50s don't lie either.
2. Hill - Prolific in patches and burnt the wings of Etihad. Was a real catalyst of Freo's dominance and really set up the win in the 2nd quarter.
1. McPharlin - could have been a lot of Freo players with the one vote but to keep Cloke scoreless and to the 4th least touches on the ground was simply phenomenal. Particularly when you consider how much Cloke was being pumped up over the summer (you know, "best forward" sort of talk). McPharlin may be 32 but he's still got it.

Honourable Mentions - Sandilands, Crowley, Mzungu, Johnson

Last edited:

From GWS (99) v Syd (67):
5. Ward - was absolutely psycho at the contest today. Was clean when basically no one else was and just so dynamic with his ball work. Great clean pick up and goal in the 3rd. 24 contested disposals was ridiculous and also had 11 clearances. Really such a remarkable pick-up for GWS. Clear BOG.
4. Treloar - Tenacious game from Treloar. Keen to track the ball any time it was anywhere near him. Had 8 tackles, 7 i50s and a game high 33 touches.
3. Coniglio - Perhaps this is his establishing season as a top tier midfielder. Simply kept getting involved all game. Also had a massive 10 tackles and kicked a very important goal with 8 minutes to go. Disposal efficiency the only concern for mine.
2. Whitfield - Had more influence than his stats suggest. Was excellent on the forward flank for GWS. Really good decision making going into the Giant's forward 50.
1. Greene - appears to have cleaned up his disposal by quite a margin. 23 disposals at 74% efficiency and 7 clearances. Was really influential all game.

Honourable Mentions - Davis, Cameron, Parker, Mitchell, Shaw, Mumford, Patton, Kennedy (Syd)

Last edited:
From GCS (87) v Rich (69):
5. Prestia - Superb game from Dion Prestia. Had 32 disposals @ 75% disposal efficiency including a lightning run down the wing and then an excellent kick to hit Day lace out. Had 17 contested disposals, 6 i50s and 2 goal assists.
4. Ablett - Perhaps he should be BOG but I felt that he got quite a lot of disposals via unnecessary handball receives. Kicked two goals including an excellent one running at full pace. Had 41 touches but I'm pretty content not giving him BOG.
3. Deledio - Fought hard all night and managed 33 touches @ 75.8 disposal efficiency including 8 clearances and a goal. Thought he was slightly more important than Cotchin.
2. Cotchin - had a woeful disposal efficiency @ the start of the second quarter. To this point he had 16 touches, only 4 of which were effective. Stayed involved all game and improved his disposal efficiency. You could feel him trying to will Richmond over the line. 37 touches.
1. Swallow - Could've been a number of players here but I really liked Swallow's game. Had 26 touches including 9 marks and 4 i50s. Signs of the future?

Honourable Mentions - Rischitelli, O'Meara, Thomas, Houli, Stanley, Harbrow, Martin

From Carl (87) v PA (120):
5. Wines - Had 28 touches, 19 of which were contested. Also had 11 clearances, 9 tackles and 2 goals. Such a presence for a kid around the stoppages.
4. Westhoff - Clear BOG at half time with 4 goals and 6 marks in the 2nd quarter. Only had 5 more touches for the game but had an excellent run down in the final quarter and bagged his 5th to cap a great night.
3. Polec - May be charged with avoiding contact once or twice tonight but there is no doubting this was a tremendous debut for the ex-Lion. Had 24 touches @ 75% disposal efficiency and 6 i50s.
2. Gray - Never a huge presence until the final quarter but always involved. Kicked 3 (I believe?) in the final quarter to really finish the Blues off. Had 17 touches @ 82% efficiency.
1. Cornes - Just contributed all night in his typical way. Won't get the accolades but still had a game high 30 disposals and a ridiculous 12 marks.

Honourable Mentions - Lobbe, Monfries, Wingard, Hartlett, Ellard, Gibbs

From GWS (99) v Syd (67):
5. Ward - was absolutely psycho at the contest today. Was clean when basically no one else was and just so dynamic with his ball work. Great clean pick up and goal in the 3rd. 24 contested disposals was ridiculous and also had 11 clearances. Really such a remarkable pick-up for GWS. Clear BOG.
4. Treloar - Tenacious game from Treloar. Keen to track the ball any time it was anywhere near him. Had 8 tackles, 7 i50s and a game high 33 touches.
3. Coniglio - Perhaps this is his establishing season as a top tier midfielder. Simply kept getting involved all game. Also had a massive 10 tackles and kicked a very important goal with 8 minutes to go. Disposal efficiency the only concern for mine.
2. Whitfield - Had more influence than his stats suggest. Was excellent on the forward flank for GWS. Really good decision making going into the Giant's forward 50.
1. Greene - appears to have cleaned up his disposal by quite a margin. 23 disposals at 74% efficiency and 7 clearances. Was really influential all game.

Honourable Mentions - Davis, Cameron, Parker, Mitchell, Shaw, Mumford, Patton, Kennedy (Syd)
I really thought Mumford was top three. His physical presence was crucial (7 heavy tackles) and he managed 45 hit outs. Dominant display whereas Greene didn't really stand out to me.

From GFC (119) v Adel (81):
5. Selwood - 34 touches, 20 contested, 9 clearances, 6 tackles, 5 i50s and 2 goals. Complete game from Selwood.
4. Kelly - Really dominant display by Kelly. Was involved all game. Had 24 touches at 87.5% disposal efficiency. Really worked well on the turnovers through the middle of the ground.
3. Bartel - Massive 2nd quarter. Didn't really see him after that until well into junk time but was very important in one of the key turning points of the match. Finished with 4 goals.
2. Talia - Dominant game from Talia. Kept Hawkins to 6 touches and a goal. An outstanding defensive effort.
1. Caddy - Loved his bullocking in the traffic. That run from the backline in the latter parts of the final quarter was just breath-taking. Proving to be a very handy acquisition for Geelong. 20 touches, 12 of which were contested.

Honourable Mentions - Stokes, Jacobs, Wright, Enright, Sloane, Jaensch, Mackie

From NM (60) v Ess (99):
5. Watson - 38 touches @ 89.5% disposal efficiency, 14 contested, 8 clearances (7 from the centre), 6 i50s and 2 goals. Massive first half set up the win.
4. Heppell - Watson had the BOG sown up by halftime but Heppell kept bridging the gap in the 2nd half. Not as central to the win as Watson but still had 37 touches and a crazy 16 marks for a mid.
3. Hooker - Just a general down back Hooker claimed 16 marks for the game (a number of them intercepts). Hooker had 26 disposals @ 92% disposal efficiency. And he kept Petrie to 3 touches and no goals, which is just ridiculous.
2. Chapman - Important goals really gave Essendon momentum in the first half. Chapman ended up with 4 goals, 21 disposals, 8 i50s and 4 goal assists.
1. Goddard - 26 touches, 13 contested disposals, 5 clearances, 7 i50s and 3 goals. Another outstanding game from Goddard.

Honourable Mentions - Myers, Zaharakis, Thomas, Merrett, Hurley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Haw (139) v Bris (91):
5. Zorko - I know Brisbane lost by some margin but I thought that he was the most dynamic player on the ground. Really displayed good vision in traffic. Had 12 contested disposals (the most on the ground) and 5 clearances. For parts of the game I thought he was one of the only players keeping the Lions in it.
4. Breust - 5 goals and 22 disposals came over a great four quarter spread from Breust. Stats wise he doesn't look that much different to Roughead but he kicked his goals (generally) at more important times.
3. Burgoyne - Provided the bigger body in the contest when needed, either back or midfield or forward. Ended with 23 touches and 3 centre clearances.
2. Hill - Really took to filling in Cyril's shoes with aplomb. Didn't kick any goals but was damaging on the Hawthorn spread.
1. Roughead - kicked 5 but they weren't a particularly relevant 5 goals. Still deserves to be in the best players as he also had some good stints in the middle (not rucking).

Honourable Mentions - Mayes, Shiels, Birchall, Smith, Rockliff, Rich

From St K (68) v Melb (51):
5. Riewoldt - 31 but you wouldn't know it. Had 23 touches including 12 marks and kicked 3 goals.
4. N. Jones - Massive four quarter effort. Had 38 touches, 14 contested, 9 clearances, 7 tackles and 5 i50s.
3. C. Jones - Powered without a hard tagging role. Gathered a career-best 39 disposals @ 85% efficiency. Also had 5 clearances and 5 i50s.
2. Watts - Looked really clean tonight and navigated traffic well. Was involved all night and finished with 27 disposals @ 96% efficiency. Needed more helpers though.
1. Dempster - really the stand-out backman on either side. Was a real general for St Kilda and they looked to use him on as many occasions as possible. Finished the game with 22 disposals and had 12 marks and 5 rebounds from the back 50.

Honourable Mentions - Dunstan, Vince, Tyson, Saunders, Ray, Spencer

From WCE (134) v WB (69):
5. LeCras - Hard to argue that he wasn't BOG with 27 touches and 5 goals.
4. Rosa - 34 touches, 5 clearances, 4 i50s and a goal. Consistent game from Rosa.
3. Mackenzie - Had 11 marks and dominated his opponent. Ran down the wing on numerous occasions to set up goal scoring opportunities.
2. Darling - Kicked 4 goals. Admittedly some were in junk time but he had key hands in numerous goals earlier in the game and there should've been another but Cox missed the sitter.
1. Macrae - One of the few Dogs who could hold his head up. Had 31 touches and kicked 2 goals.

Honourable Mentions - Priddis, Selwood, Hunter, Cox, Gaff, Bennell

From Ess (86) v Haw (90):
5. Hooker - Credit where credit's due Hooker absolutely smashed Roughead tonight. Roughead got some touches when playing in the midfield but not much apart from that. Hooker had 27 touches and another 10 marks tonight. Chalk up two scalps for Hooker.
4. Burgoyne - was really impressive for the whole match and probably the reason why Hawthorn won the game in the end. Had 30 touches, 14 contested and 7 clearances. Specifically had 7 i50s and 3 Goal Assists.
3. Gibson - Had him penciled in as BOG at 3 quarter time but faded a bit. Still had a great game where he was matched for two and a half quarters on a headless Daniher. 22 touches and 11 1%ers.
2. Chapman - Only one goal but man was he influential. Had 20 touches, 7 tackles, 7 i50s and 2 Goal Assists.
1. Myers - really impressive game from Myers. Had 26 touches and though his efficiency wasn't great his doggedness around the contest was. Had 9 clearances, 5 tackles and 5 i50s.

Honourable Mentions - Goddard, Hibberd, Watson, Carlisle, Stanton (yeah, that's right, I can't think of another good Hawk - maybe Hill?).

From StK (95) v GWS (88):
5. Riewoldt - 5 goals, 24 touches and 14 marks. Was superb all game. Early had to lead up the field to get possessions but GWS had no answers after half time.
4. Mumford - Almost claimed top honours from Riewoldt. Was massive in the ruck. Only had 18 touches but 15 of them were contested. Had a fantastic 46 HOs, 8 tackles, 4 clearances and a goal.
3. Smith - Had a clean 20 touches but really hit the score board with 5 goals. Outshone more highly fancied GWS midfielders like Treloar and Coniglio today.
2. Armitage - Had 29 disposals including 17 contested disposals. Traveled at 76% disposal efficiency and a game high 9 clearances including 6 centre clearances.
1. Ward - Very similar game to Armitage, just slightly less. Had 28 disposals including 13 contested disposals. Disposal efficiency was at 68%. Had 8 clearances including 5 centre clearances. Was busy all over the field with 5 rebounds from the back fifty, 5 i50s and 6 tackles.

Honourable Mentions - Dempster, Giles, Delaney, Hickey, Montagna and Hampton (yes, I thought he was pretty clean today)

From PA (128) v Adel (73):
5. Hartlett - 29 disposals with 12 disposals coming from contests. 4 clearances, 4 rebounds from the back 50 and 3 i50s. Also kicked a goal.
4. Cornes - 33 disposals @ 85% efficiency. Had 10 marks and 5 bounces. Was involved all game. Only had 4 contested disposals for the game though.
3. Ebert - 21 disposals but had more impact that those numbers suggest. Had 8 contested disposals, 10 marks, 9 tackles, 6 i50s and a goal.
2. Wingard - 17 touches and 4 important goals at various times during the match. Was important in shifting momentum.
1. Polec - Could've gone Wines with this last vote because Polec did go missing for almost a half of footy. However, he was really important in the first term when Port got a good start.

Honourable Mentions - Wines, Sloane, Douglas, Jonas, Monfries, Thompson

From Frem (87) v GCS (39):
5. Sandilands - 58 HOs with 21 to advantage. Gave the Freo mids great service as the names below will attest to. Had 10 contested disposals and 5 clearances as well.
4. Mundy - Thought he was the best of the three central Freo mids. Had a massive 2nd quarter where he set up the break for Freo. Had 33 disposals, 19 contested disposals, 8 clearances (4 from the centre) and 6 i50s.
3. Fyfe - Big game from Fyfe. Had 29 disposals, 19 contested disposals, 7 clearances, 4 tackles and a goal.
2. Barlow- Wasn't much separating him, Fyfe and Mundy. Had 32 disposals, 10 contested and kicked two goals. Only had one clearance though.
1. Hill - Could've gone Crowley for his job on Ablett but thought Hill was instrumental in setting up the win. Had the ball 23 times, 14 of them in contested situations. Also had 4 clearances, 4 tackles and a massive 10 i50s. Chimed in with a massive goal running away from Ablett as well.

Honourable Mentions - Crowley, Swallow, McPharlin, Duffield, Mzungu, May

From Syd (69) v Coll (89):
5. Pendlebury - Crazy good game from Pendlebury. Had 33 disposals, 16 of which were contested. Also had 9 clearances, a massive 10 tackles and another massive 10 i50s. Kicked a goal as well. Not a great first quarter, but everything after that was awesome.
4. Beams - While wasn't completely prolific with his disposal he was important all game. Had 30 disposals, 5 clearances, 6 tackles, 3 i50s and a goal.
3. Maxwell - Really stepped up when many were writing him off. Played really well as the intercepting player in the back line for Collingwood. 22 disposals, 8 marks and 10 1%ers.
2. Frost - Contained Buddy for much of the game. Buddy still kicked important goals but a real tick for the kid.
1. Macaffer - Jack may be coming back from injury but he was still identified as "the man" that Collingwood wanted to run with. Macaffer kept Jack to 14 touches at 57% efficiency, which is way down on his usual output.

Honourable Mentions - Hannebery, Sinclair, Lumumba, Elliott, Kennedy

From Bris (68) v Geel (93):
5. Johnson - Wasn't clean, but Sunday in Brisbane wasn't the day for that. Was important at the clearances where he had 6. Also had 37 disposals, 16 contested disposals, 10 tackles and 8 i50s.
4. Zorko - Like last week Zorko had a huge hand in keeping Brisbane in the game for as long as possible. Was really clean in slippery conditions and had a prolific 2nd quarter that saw Brisbane take the lead momentarily. Had 30 disposals, 6 clearances, 8 tackles, 6 i50s and a goal.
3. Varcoe - Confidence was up for Varcoe and his stats belied the impact he had on the game. Had 10 tackles, 4 i50s and 2 goals.
2. Selwood - Another great game from Selwood. Had 25 disposals, 17 contested disposals, 13 clearances, 7 tackles, 7 i50s and a goal. Not quite as dynamic as these stats would suggest which is why he's not further up this list.
1. Hanley - Kept getting the pill all day. Had 32 disposals, 4 rebounds from the back fifty, 5 i50s and 8 1%ers.

Honourable Mentions - Kelly, Redden, Mayes, Murdoch, Stokes, Mackie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back