Top 50 Bulldogs - 1985 - 2018

Mattdougie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have ranked my TOP 50 Bulldogs since 1985.

Players must have played a minimal 2 seasons within that period to be eligible.

I recognise this may be controversial, as we all see footy differently, so please feel free to respectfully offer your feedback and thoughts! I hope it stimulates good discussion...

50: J. Stringer
49: W. Minson
48: L. Hunter
47: J. Akermanis
46: Tom Liberatore
45: B. Hall
44: M. McLean
43: P. Hudson
42: J. Macrae
41: S. Kretiuk
40: N. Eagleton
39: J. Johannisen
38. D. Southern
37: S. Atkins
36. L. Dahlhaus
35: D. Cross
34: D. Giansiracusa
33: L. Picken
32. J. Romero
31. T. Wallace
30. N. Brown
29. A. Purser
28. S. Kolyniuk
27. J. Edmond
26. S. Macpherson
25: L. Gilbee
24: M. Bontempelli
23: R. Griffen
22: E. Wood
21: T. McGuinness
20: D. Morris
19: B. Hardie
18. R. Kennedy
17: M. Boyd
16: L. Darcy
15: A. Cooney
14: L. Cameron
13: P. Foster
12: B. Lake
11: R. Smith
10: S. Wallis
9. Tony. Liberatore
8. S. Wynd
7. R. Murphy
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. C. Grant
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson

Leon Cameron wouldn’t even make my top 50. Apart from his kicking he wasnt much and wasn’t the bravest player to ever pul on a boot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattdougie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which players listed wouldn't be in your top 500? And where do you rate Brad Hardie?

Leon Cameron was an extraordinarily average footballer that was a very good kick. Lindsay Gilbee was a similar player but better.

If you are rating players on their best footy and not just a period Hardie would be top 10. His Brownlow year was some of the best back pocket play I’ve ever seen.

And I know it’s subjective and we all love Johno but he was miles off Hawk and Turtle

mcgleereturns

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Leon Cameron was an extraordinarily average footballer that was a very good kick. Lindsay Gilbee was a similar player but better.

If you are rating players on their best footy and not just a period Hardie would be top 10. His Brownlow year was some of the best back pocket play I’ve ever seen.

And I know it’s subjective and we all love Johno but he was miles off Hawk and Turtle
It’s certainly subjective and we all have our favourites and even some of our greats are not seen by some in that category. Hawkins’ 85 finals series was one of the greatest performances I’ve seen and I saw every game Doug played from the first practice game he played at Altona Meadows. He played in a different era of one on one battles against some of the greatest wingers of all time and matched them easily. But saying a 6 time All Australian, AA captain, 3 time best and fairest, 7 time 40+ goal kicker ( 3 time 50+), club games record holder in Johnno is “miles” off Hawkins and Grant is a bit of an exaggeration in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattdougie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s certainly subjective and we all have our favourites and even some of our greats are not seen by some in that category. Hawkins’ 85 finals series was one of the greatest performances I’ve seen and I saw every game Doug played from the first practice game he played at Altona Meadows. He played in a different era of one on one battles against some of the greatest wingers of all time and matched them easily. But saying a 6 time All Australian, AA captain, 3 time best and fairest, 7 time 40+ goal kicker ( 3 time 50+), club games record holder in Johnno is “miles” off Hawkins and Grant is a bit of an exaggeration in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s no belittling of Johno, if anything it’s how highly I rated Hawk and Granty.

Before Dougy did his knee he was one of the best kicks and movers I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which players listed wouldn't be in your top 500? And where do you rate Brad Hardie?
I'll butt in here and say that Brad Hardie was a superstar for us in 1985. He played the position of back pocket like no one had ever played it before. To think he won a Brownlow in his debut year is absolutely astounding.
It's a pity his year was tarnished by him playing on Matthews in the prelim when he got off the leash and won the game for the Hawks.
Turned out to be a twat like Nathan Brown and Brian Lake which is a pity (players that have thought they were bigger than the club).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom