Top 50 Bulldogs - 1985 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have ranked my TOP 50 Bulldogs since 1985.

Players must have played a minimal 2 seasons within that period to be eligible.

I recognise this may be controversial, as we all see footy differently, so please feel free to respectfully offer your feedback and thoughts! I hope it stimulates good discussion...

50: J. Stringer
49: W. Minson
48: L. Hunter
47: J. Akermanis
46: Tom Liberatore
45: B. Hall
44: M. McLean
43: P. Hudson
42: J. Macrae
41: S. Kretiuk
40: N. Eagleton
39: J. Johannisen
38. D. Southern
37: S. Atkins
36. L. Dahlhaus
35: D. Cross
34: D. Giansiracusa
33: L. Picken
32. J. Romero
31. T. Wallace
30. N. Brown
29. A. Purser
28. S. Kolyniuk
27. J. Edmond
26. S. Macpherson
25: L. Gilbee
24: M. Bontempelli
23: R. Griffen
22: E. Wood
21: T. McGuinness
20: D. Morris
19: B. Hardie
18. R. Kennedy
17: M. Boyd
16: L. Darcy
15: A. Cooney
14: L. Cameron
13: P. Foster
12: B. Lake
11: R. Smith
10: S. Wallis
9. Tony. Liberatore
8. S. Wynd
7. R. Murphy
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. C. Grant
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson

1. C Grant
2. D Hawkins
3. B Johnson
4. S West
5. M Bontempelli

Steve Wallis probably too high, Kolyniuk as well. Always an interesting debate but any B & F players in a Premiership year need to be upgraded accordingly. A good list to view nontheless.

Macrae criminally underrated, more so than Bont. McGuinness virtually played same number of games as them and you have him way higher than these two premiership players and Hunter. Jack way better than Atkins too for similar number of games. Unsung Croft and Hargrave far more serviceable than Danny Southern and over a much longer period. Boyd better than Wallis. Edmond only played in 85 then left, not sure that warrants an inclusion in an 85-2018 list. Top 8 positions are all opinions so not gonna quibble and its hard making lists without making some omissions or ranking howlers ( see above ) but if you’re going to rank Hardie so highly on two years of football, albeit sensational ones, then Bont and Jack deserve more recognition for longer service and arguably already better careers. And then there’s Dale!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macrae criminally underrated, more so than Bont. McGuinness virtually played same number of games as them and you have him way higher than these two premiership players and Hunter. Jack way better than Atkins too for similar number of games. Unsung Croft and Hargrave far more serviceable than Danny Southern and over a much longer period. Boyd better than Wallis. Edmond only played in 85 then left, not sure that warrants an inclusion in an 85-2018 list. Top 8 positions are all opinions so not gonna quibble and its hard making lists without making some omissions or ranking howlers ( see above ) but if you’re going to rank Hardie so highly on two years of football, albeit sensational ones, then Bont and Jack deserve more recognition for longer service and arguably already better careers. And then there’s Dale!?!

Croft, Robbins, Hargrave and Hahn were squeezed out in recent times by the rise of the new breed, so they are not far off the mark.

Edmond was there in 85-6 and along with Hawkins, MacPhesrson, Royal, Foster, Beasley, McLean have credit for their contributions prior to 85 as their career spans beyond the period.

As for all current players in the top 50 - Wood, Morris, Macrae, Johannisen, Bontempelli, Hunter, Picken and Liberatore - I tend to be more conservative while they are still playing, so expect their rankings will change as their careers continue and come to an end.

Croft, Robbins, Hargrave and Hahn were squeezed out in recent times by the rise of the new breed, so they are not far off the mark.

Edmond was there in 85-6 and along with Hawkins, MacPhesrson, Royal, Foster, Beasley, McLean have credit for their contributions prior to 85 as their career spans beyond the period.

As for all current players in the top 50 - Wood, Morris, Macrae, Johannisen, Bontempelli, Hunter, Picken and Liberatore - I tend to be more conservative while they are still playing, so expect their rankings will change as their careers continue and come to an end.

Croft (definitely top 50)and Hargrave are being kept out by Danny Southern on your list, not the new breed ( Robbins not worthy anyway and probably not Hahn either). Interested to know why you rate him so highly - in my mind not much between him and Craig Ellis other than toughness.

Sorry, but Edmond played for Sydney in 1986. Shouldn’t be getting the same credits as the others you mentioned who all played well past that time and at a consistently higher standard than him.

As for ranking current players conservatively, so if you did this list two years ago, Murphy wouldn’t be top 10?! And 14 years ago, Grant , West and Johnson wouldn’t be top 10 because they were still playing!?
That doesn’t seem to rank on merit. 100 games is 100 games. Surely Bont and Macrae’s last 4 years ( and in finals too ) trump McGuinness’ Bulldog career of the same length ( which never included finals)? If Macrae retired last year would he suddenly jump from 42 to 20? And surely Dale Morris gets some credit for 250 games to not get the conservative current player ranking!?

Unlike others, I wouldn’t have Bont in top 5 yet ( he’s not West, Grant, Johnson, Hawkins or Beasley yet) but his career is already surpassing many ranked above him on the list. Jack too.

I would almost have Toby McLean over Magic McLean on the above list. Magic burnt brightly but not over an extended period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your thoughts on the said ‘Top 50’ perhaps instead of faux outrage?
Outrage?
Errr, you might have missed the "oxy" part of my post. ... it changes the meaning a bit.

(I'd use an emoji but all the new ones are crap.)

I have ranked my TOP 50 Bulldogs since 1985.

Players must have played a minimal 2 seasons within that period to be eligible.

I recognise this may be controversial, as we all see footy differently, so please feel free to respectfully offer your feedback and thoughts! I hope it stimulates good discussion...

50: J. Stringer
49: W. Minson
48: L. Hunter
47: J. Akermanis
46: Tom Liberatore
45: B. Hall
44: M. McLean
43: P. Hudson
42: J. Macrae
41: S. Kretiuk
40: N. Eagleton
39: J. Johannisen
38. D. Southern
37: S. Atkins
36. L. Dahlhaus
35: D. Cross
34: D. Giansiracusa
33: L. Picken
32. J. Romero
31. T. Wallace
30. N. Brown
29. A. Purser
28. S. Kolyniuk
27. J. Edmond
26. S. Macpherson
25: L. Gilbee
24: M. Bontempelli
23: R. Griffen
22: E. Wood
21: T. McGuinness
20: D. Morris
19: B. Hardie
18. R. Kennedy
17: M. Boyd
16: L. Darcy
15: A. Cooney
14: L. Cameron
13: P. Foster
12: B. Lake
11: R. Smith
10: S. Wallis
9. Tony. Liberatore
8. S. Wynd
7. R. Murphy
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. C. Grant
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson
Good effort. No right or wrong.

Personally Dale Morris should always be top 10.

Without doubt the most reliable player I have seen in Dogs colours.

Always feel comfortable when he is around the ball.

Croft (definitely top 50)and Hargrave are being kept out by Danny Southern on your list, not the new breed ( Robbins not worthy anyway and probably not Hahn either). Interested to know why you rate him so highly - in my mind not much between him and Craig Ellis other than toughness.

Sorry, but Edmond played for Sydney in 1986. Shouldn’t be getting the same credits as the others you mentioned who all played well past that time and at a consistently higher standard than him.

As for ranking current players conservatively, so if you did this list two years ago, Murphy wouldn’t be top 10?! And 14 years ago, Grant , West and Johnson wouldn’t be top 10 because they were still playing!?
That doesn’t seem to rank on merit. 100 games is 100 games. Surely Bont and Macrae’s last 4 years ( and in finals too ) trump McGuinness’ Bulldog career of the same length ( which never included finals)? If Macrae retired last year would he suddenly jump from 42 to 20? And surely Dale Morris gets some credit for 250 games to not get the conservative current player ranking!?

Unlike others, I wouldn’t have Bont in top 5 yet ( he’s not West, Grant, Johnson, Hawkins or Beasley yet) but his career is already surpassing many ranked above him on the list. Jack too.

Players who are still listed are ranked more conservatively because their career is not yet the complete picture. Like an incomplete puzzle, the final pieces help to give greater clarity of the overall impact. Some players' legacy grow in retirement - eg: Murphy who you mention - and it is only then that you can appreciate their value for what it is. Murph's value grew when he was off the field and in reflection of his career, I have raised his ranking again further,

A good example of this is the legacy of Griffen, who slid a few rungs on my list after completion. Nathan Brown, Stringer and Akermanis are others who have soured in time and who I have adjusted accordingly.

I have been doing this list for many years and always adjusting and tinkering. It is like watching a movie and after a few years, some shine brighter and sustain their appeal, while others that you love are somehow diminished as time rolls on. Similarly, there have been movies have finished which I have loved, but have a bad or abrupt ending that change my perception. So considering that, I will always remain more conservative until their service is done.

Thanks for your discussion and challenging views. Go Dogs!

Players who are still listed are ranked more conservatively because their career is not yet the complete picture. Like an incomplete puzzle, the final pieces help to give greater clarity of the overall impact. Some players' legacy grow in retirement - eg: Murphy who you mention - and it is only then that you can appreciate their value for what it is. Murph's value grew when he was off the field and in reflection of his career, I have raised his ranking again further, thereafter.

A good example of this is the legacy of Griffen, who slid a few rungs on my list after completion. Nathan Brown, Stringer and Akermanis are others who have soured in time and who I have adjusted accordingly.

I have been doing this list for many years and always adjusting and tinkering. It is like watching a movie and after a few years, some shine brighter and sustain their appeal, while others that you love are somehow diminished as time rolls on. Similarly, there have been movies have finished which I have loved, but have a bad or abrupt ending that change my perception. So considering that, I will always remain more conservative until their service is done.

Players who are still listed are ranked more conservatively because their career is not yet the complete picture. Like an incomplete puzzle, the final pieces help to give greater clarity of the overall impact. Some players' legacy grow in retirement - eg: Murphy who you mention - and it is only then that you can appreciate their value for what it is. Murph's value grew when he was off the field and in reflection of his career, I have raised his ranking again further, thereafter.

Players who are still listed are ranked more conservatively because their career is not yet the complete picture. Like an incomplete puzzle, the final pieces help to give greater clarity of the overall impact. Some players' legacy grow in retirement - eg: Murphy who you mention - and it is only then that you can appreciate their value for what it is. Murph's value grew when he was off the field and in reflection of his career, I have raised his ranking again further,

Fair enough. We all think differently. Thanks for your explanation. Still interested in your high opinion of Danny Southern over Croft( but then I had a soft spot for the special Crofty moves so I supposed we both have a bias)

Fair enough. We all think differently. Thanks for your explanation. Still interested in your high opinion of Danny Southern over Croft( but then I had a soft spot for the special Crofty moves so I supposed we both have a bias)

Love both Croft and Southern. Danny's rugged style was not unlike Ricky Kennedy and I much admire that tenacious and aggressive type. He was an exceptional mark and if not for persistent injuries, could have gone on to be one of our great backmen. I have Crofty at #53 on my extended list.

Crofty squeezed every bit out of his ability and was a loyal servant. I would often be nervous when he had ball in hand and despite playing about 80 more games than Danny, Southern gets my nod. Also love Kretuik for similar reasons.

Paul Dimattina is the most underrated Bulldog of the last 25 years. Was pure silk.

Great topic to debate.
This won’t be a popular view because he’s turned out to be a headcase but Brian Lake spent 3 years at the Dogs as the competition’s best fullback. I have never ever seen a more dominant player in our jumper and yes, I’m making this call fully aware of how good Scarlett was.
OP had him at 12 which is high but I would want Lake in my best Bulldogs team over at least half the players listed in the top 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back