Top 50 Bulldogs - 1985 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I have ranked my TOP 50 Bulldogs since 1985.

Players must have played a minimal 2 seasons within that period to be eligible.

I recognise this may be controversial, as we all see footy differently, so please feel free to respectfully offer your feedback and thoughts! I hope it stimulates good discussion...

50: J. Stringer
49: W. Minson
48: L. Hunter
47: J. Akermanis
46: Tom Liberatore
45: B. Hall
44: M. McLean
43: P. Hudson
42: J. Macrae
41: S. Kretiuk
40: N. Eagleton
39: J. Johannisen
38. D. Southern
37: S. Atkins
36. L. Dahlhaus
35: D. Cross
34: D. Giansiracusa
33: L. Picken
32. J. Romero
31. T. Wallace
30. N. Brown
29. A. Purser
28. S. Kolyniuk
27. J. Edmond
26. S. Macpherson
25: L. Gilbee
24: M. Bontempelli
23: R. Griffen
22: E. Wood
21: T. McGuinness
20: D. Morris
19: B. Hardie
18. R. Kennedy
17: M. Boyd
16: L. Darcy
15: A. Cooney
14: L. Cameron
13: P. Foster
12: B. Lake
11: R. Smith
10: S. Wallis
9. Tony. Liberatore
8. S. Wynd
7. R. Murphy
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. C. Grant
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson

Leon Cameron wouldn’t even make my top 50. Apart from his kicking he wasnt much and wasn’t the bravest player to ever pul on a boot

Leon Cameron wouldn’t even make my top 50. Apart from his kicking he wasnt much and wasn’t the bravest player to ever pul on a boot
We all see footy differently. Leon was an absolute star in my eyes and to many.

Amazing some of the players rated in here wouldn’t make my top 500.

And the under rating of players like Hardie is unbelievable.
Which players listed wouldn't be in your top 500? And where do you rate Brad Hardie?

Which players listed wouldn't be in your top 500? And where do you rate Brad Hardie?

Leon Cameron was an extraordinarily average footballer that was a very good kick. Lindsay Gilbee was a similar player but better.

If you are rating players on their best footy and not just a period Hardie would be top 10. His Brownlow year was some of the best back pocket play I’ve ever seen.

And I know it’s subjective and we all love Johno but he was miles off Hawk and Turtle

Leon Cameron was an extraordinarily average footballer that was a very good kick. Lindsay Gilbee was a similar player but better.

If you are rating players on their best footy and not just a period Hardie would be top 10. His Brownlow year was some of the best back pocket play I’ve ever seen.

And I know it’s subjective and we all love Johno but he was miles off Hawk and Turtle

It’s certainly subjective and we all have our favourites and even some of our greats are not seen by some in that category. Hawkins’ 85 finals series was one of the greatest performances I’ve seen and I saw every game Doug played from the first practice game he played at Altona Meadows. He played in a different era of one on one battles against some of the greatest wingers of all time and matched them easily. But saying a 6 time All Australian, AA captain, 3 time best and fairest, 7 time 40+ goal kicker ( 3 time 50+), club games record holder in Johnno is “miles” off Hawkins and Grant is a bit of an exaggeration in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s certainly subjective and we all have our favourites and even some of our greats are not seen by some in that category. Hawkins’ 85 finals series was one of the greatest performances I’ve seen and I saw every game Doug played from the first practice game he played at Altona Meadows. He played in a different era of one on one battles against some of the greatest wingers of all time and matched them easily. But saying a 6 time All Australian, AA captain, 3 time best and fairest, 7 time 40+ goal kicker ( 3 time 50+), club games record holder in Johnno is “miles” off Hawkins and Grant is a bit of an exaggeration in my view.

That’s no belittling of Johno, if anything it’s how highly I rated Hawk and Granty.

Before Dougy did his knee he was one of the best kicks and movers I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
I'll butt in here and say that Brad Hardie was a superstar for us in 1985. He played the position of back pocket like no one had ever played it before. To think he won a Brownlow in his debut year is absolutely astounding.
It's a pity his year was tarnished by him playing on Matthews in the prelim when he got off the leash and won the game for the Hawks.
Turned out to be a twat like Nathan Brown and Brian Lake which is a pity (players that have thought they were bigger than the club).

Lake was a star and may have gone down as one of the greats if he was in our premiership team, rather than in the Hawks' ones :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll butt in here and say that Brad Hardie was a superstar for us in 1985. He played the position of back pocket like no one had ever played it before. To think he won a Brownlow in his debut year is absolutely astounding.
It's a pity his year was tarnished by him playing on Matthews in the prelim when he got off the leash and won the game for the Hawks.
Turned out to be a twat like Nathan Brown and Brian Lake which is a pity (players that have thought they were bigger than the club).

I reckon Hardie is a bit overrated in this thread. He was great fun to watch, a tremendous ballplayer and read the play like almost no-one else, but he was a defensive liability, slow, short, selfish and required a lot of support from his teammates. He was also a pretty average teamman who rolled to his own beat.

For the OP to rate his 47 games above Bont's 104 beggars belief for mine.

Hardie was unbelievable in '85. Just a standout.

Loved Hardie that year. Not a slight on him winning. Just ridiculous that Hawk was that ignored. Hardie wasn’t 17 votes better than Hawkins. Check his stats that year. He was outstanding, not just in the finals when he got the extra votes to pass Hardie in the B&F.

Lake was a star and may have gone down as one of the greats if he was in our premiership team, rather than in the Hawks' ones :(
Lake is a great of the club.

If not being part of a Dogs flag is a requirement for being a great of the Dogs then we would not have many greats.

Leon played over 250 games of AFL footy. About 2 percent of AFL players play that number of games.

He also played for Victoria and won the club b and f in 1993. During the period of 1985-2018, he played the 28th most games for the club. He and Chris Grant reinvigorated the club in 1990.

To say that during this period that he is not in top 50 players or clearly not a contender is ridiculous.

And while you could certainly build an argument that Grant and Hawkins are better than Johnson, to say Johnno was “Miles off” them both is also over the top.

Leon played over 250 games of AFL footy. About 2 percent of AFL players play that number of games.

He also played for Victoria and won the club b and f in 1993. During the period of 1985-2018, he played the 28th most games for the club. He and Chris Grant reinvigorated the club in 1990.

To say that during this period that he is not in top 50 players or clearly not a contender is ridiculous.

And while you could certainly build an argument that Grant and Hawkins are better than Johnson, to say Johnno was “Miles off” them both is also over the top.

Couldn't agree more.

I watched Leon very closely from his very first game and he was blessed with the most silky skills on both sides of his body. He was elegant and a natural football brain.

Johnno, The Hawk and Granty formed my Top 3. Hard to split - almost impossible to rank one over another - and my order is controversial to many, but just how I see it. Loved all three and they brought a lot of joy to so many. Pity none have a premiership medal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back