Top 50 Goals of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Great video, but saying 'all time' is a bit of a stretch when most of the goals take place after '95

Yeah fair call, I did outline that in the description though. Basically the game has had way more media saturation over the last 20 years so you can't really compare I guess. I'm sure Albert Thurgood and Syd Coventry kicked a few pearlers in their time

It is a top effort mate. Love having all those goals in the one spot.

Motlop banana wrong side from the boundary.

Yze dobbed a similar one on his left.

I reckon I've seen at most three other times anyone has pulled something like these off.

Also I would chuck this Aker one in.

Maybe in the next best 50 :D

Voss' goal was pretty much identical to Blight's with the exception that he was further out. Strange they were so far apart in rankings. Wells' and Davis' goals were overrated too since they were about 5 metres out on no real angle.

Voss' goal was pretty much identical to Blight's with the exception that he was further out. Strange they were so far apart in rankings. Wells' and Davis' goals were overrated too since they were about 5 metres out on no real angle.

Okay, how can I justify these. I gave weight to the timing of the goals as well, plus the 'legend' that the goal has taken on. I don't think too many would have battered an eye had I not included the Voss goal, it doesn't seem to have that much talked about it.

Wells' is extremely inventive, never seen it before and have never seen it since. For that alone it deserves a high ranking, plus the closeness of the game adds to that.

Davis' goal – as much as I dislike the player – is the stuff of folklore. He never controlled the ball, just guided it onto his foot and snapped around his body. It was a superb kick under such pressure. It pained me to put it up that high, but it was well deserved imo.

Awesome vid, greet how there is no music over the top of it. Bit strange how wanganeens and Milnes goals are pretty much identical yet about 30 spots apart. It's all opinion and despite disagreeing with a couple if them, they were all awesome goals and it's a great video.
I always though maguanes is the best I've seen

Nice vid. Enjoyed watching.

Only goal I'd probably make a case for is Zaharakis 2009 Anzac Day. On re-watch it doesn't have many of the credentials of the others in terms of positional difficulty (fairly easy angle, about 45 out) but should get extra weighting because of the game situation and how greasy the ball was.

Perhaps a worthy #51.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump. I finally decided to get around to making a Top 50 for marks. It was even more difficult to decide. Hope you enjoy.

What a coincidence, your video was in the home/recommendations page of my Youtube app! Haven't watched it yet but it's sitting in my watch it later folder, remember watching the goals one a few weeks ago and it was great. Top 50 tackles next? :p

What a coincidence, your video was in the home/recommendations page of my Youtube app! Haven't watched it yet but it's sitting in my watch it later folder, remember watching the goals one a few weeks ago and it was great. Top 50 tackles next? :p

Thanks for the kind feedback! Glad you enjoyed the first video. I do want to make some more countdowns but Top 50 Tackles would be near on impossible. There are almost 50 great tackles every round. I would just be missing too much.

This may seem a bit callous but I was thinking Top 50 Bumps. It's easier to choose from and there's enough source material for me to work with. Plus I'm sure the thrillseekers on YouTube will love it.

Thanks for the kind feedback! Glad you enjoyed the first video. I do want to make some more countdowns but Top 50 Tackles would be near on impossible. There are almost 50 great tackles every round. I would just be missing too much.

This may seem a bit callous but I was thinking Top 50 Bumps. It's easier to choose from and there's enough source material for me to work with. Plus I'm sure the thrillseekers on YouTube will love it.

Gibbsy's research for the bumps video:
"byron pickett career highlights"

Great vid. Only one which I thought was a missing must-have was Westhoff's ridiculous banana against Geelong. One of the best goals I've ever seen.

Not sure how you embed it.

Hard to squeeze a century into 50 goal selection but Buddy might warrant more than 1 - the one in there was terrific, but I preferred his hurdling one through the middle of the G (12 second end to end goal)

Also against Collingwood in the 2011 finals where he had Malthouse in a nervous breakdown - turned Tarrant inside out and scored from nowhere... the amazing thing was that sitting there live, you could just tell he would score.

Can't find a good solo vid of that one.

Anyhow - good job.

Still one of my favourite goals, what i file under video-game-esque, and it all happens so quickly..

note: Winterlich in this very game i think he had the equivalent of a triple double. 4 goals, 34 disposals, 14 marks, 15 kicks, etc

Last edited:
A video I created in my spare time last week, it hasn't been done before (on YouTube anyway). All the clips have commentary because I hate clips with just music. Let me know what you think of it, or if you thought I missed out any howlers.

Cheers

great work

Ablett's effort through the middle is my favourite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back