Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
What a mark.
Was sitting on Ian Paton too. Kel Moore came in from the side. Think the 3rd hawk directly in front was Terry Moore.
Alan Edwards was at the back of the pack.

The most astonishing thing about the mark IMO is the fact that T. Moore was 196cm (and off the ground and at full stretch), K. Moore was 188 and Ian Paton was 193cm.

I'll never tire of talking about it....

View attachment 730456
Was there... the roar!

Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Always thought it was Awful list by Mike Sheahan... completely out-dated within a few years even the old school players he rated was totally wrong...

That's the beauty I guess.
You can disagree but these lists are never wrong as they are opinion based.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
What a mark.
Was sitting on Ian Paton too. Kel Moore came in from the side. Think the 3rd hawk directly in front was Terry Moore.

The most astonishing thing about the mark IMO is the fact that T. Moore was 196cm (and off the ground and at full stretch), K. Moore was 188 and Ian Paton was 193cm.

View attachment 730456
I remember it well. I was sitting on the wing upper deck southern stand (the one with the nice wooden seats). He ran at the pack at full tilt and launched and got bumped higher by the force of the pack. Hit the deck hard too. Easily the best mark I have seen.

Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I remember it well. I was sitting on the wing upper deck southern stand (the one with the nice wooden seats). He ran at the pack at full tilt and launched and got bumped higher by the force of the pack. Hit the deck hard too. Easily the best mark I have seen.

The only negative is that the video doesn't do the mark any justice. If it was taken at ground level like the photos it would be awesome.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't believe Darren Gaspar is rated higher than Mark Lee.

The General absolutely dominated the 1980 GF. Would have won the 1st Norm Smith if it weren't for KB. His ruck work from 1980 until about 1984 was right up there with Madden. In fact IIRC Lee was selected in front of Madden in a few of the SOO's in the early-mid 80's.

Gaspar was an effective spoiler but absolutely butchered the ball coming out the backline.
Three AAs and six time state representative was Mark Lee.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Weren't there problems paying Rioli because the club was broke? He missed '86 and came back in '87 from memory. Changed from 17 to 27. Nowhere near the player though. He was a little out of condition by then. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he miss a year and then return to the club?

Edit: He only missed the first 8 weeks of '86. But from memory it was not injury-related.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
KB probably still the best for me, he really was an absolutely amazing player, fast, highly skilled on both sides, tough and durable.
Of the more modern players I rate Jack extremely high, top 10 easily for me and maintain he’s the most intelligent and skilled player I think I’ve seen at Richmond.

Jack wasn’t even the most intelligent player in the premiership team, that honour goes to Grigg ;)

Jack wasn’t even the most intelligent player in the premiership team, that honour goes to Grigg ;)
Don’t know about that but that’s not dismissing Grigga.
Jack is an incredibly intelligent player, he goes to another level in the wet and is the best two sided player I’ve seen at Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
Don’t know about that but that’s not dismissing Grigga.
Jack is an incredibly intelligent player, he goes to another level in the wet and is the best two sided player I’ve seen at Richmond.

Couldn't agree more - probably the best dual sided field kick in the game for mine.

And yep, you'd be hard pressed to name a smarter footballer than him. He's been an absolute superstar for so long, and I'd say he sits behind Buddy as the next best KPF of the last decade.

Couldn't agree more - probably the best dual sided field kick in the game for mine.

And yep, you'd be hard pressed to name a smarter footballer than him. He's been an absolute superstar for so long, and I'd say he sits behind Buddy as the next best KPF of the last decade.
100%.
The highest praise I could give Jack is that overall I have him above Richo as a footballer.
Nobody comes close to the great man as a contested mark and for excitement but Jack has him as an overall player.

Weren't there problems paying Rioli because the club was broke? He missed '86 and came back in '87 from memory. Changed from 17 to 27. Nowhere near the player though. He was a little out of condition by then. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he miss a year and then return to the club?

Edit: He only missed the first 8 weeks of '86. But from memory it was not injury-related.
Yep I remember this too.
I actually thought it was most of 86 but there you go.
For some reason I thought he returned in 87 at Waverley in an infamous game early 87 when we led Collingwood by 51 points into time on in the third and lost!
Then we basically repeated it against the Swans the following week and from there it was downhill all the way to the spoon I think?

Last edited:

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
KB probably still the best for me, he really was an absolutely amazing player, fast, highly skilled on both sides, tough and durable.
Of the more modern players I rate Jack extremely high, top 10 easily for me and maintain he’s the most intelligent and skilled player I think I’ve seen at Richmond.
No wonder the maggotts hate him...

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
What a mark.

View attachment 730456
Please dont!!!!! I could listen and talk for hours about that mark!
In fact we need a thread about it where we can discuss exactly what happened to produce this masterpiece of a grab!
I rate this as best four out of Michael Mitchell's screamer(2nd!) and that red headed shorty's mark over brad johnson with Shaun Smith's goal square grab!

What a mark.

View attachment 730456
I too remember it well sitting bottom level southern stand at that end. One other thing that I remember clearly about that day to show how different things were was that it was Barry Rowling’s first game for the tigers, he’d been transferred late in the week so much so that he was 22 in the record for Hawthorn but ran out 22 for us!

Also I’ve known Butch Edwards for a long, long time and he still jokes today that he has Michael Roach’s knee print imbedded in his ribs.

Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I too remember it well sitting bottom level southern stand at that end. One other thing that I remember clearly about that day to show how different things were was that it was Barry Rowling’s first game for the tigers, he’d been transferred late in the week so much so that he was 22 in the record for Hawthorn but ran out 22 for us!

Also I’ve known Butch Edwards for a long, long time and he still jokes today that he has Michael Roach’s knee print imbedded in his ribs.

Ah what memories. Brilliant. Edwards would have been a star if not for injury. In that famous photo he is looking up at Roach. I'd love to know what he was thinking at that very moment as he was the only one in the pack below who would have had any idea what was happening.

EDIT - I remember game against Carlton where he and David Cloke kicked bags and KB should have kicked 10 but almost hit double digits in points.

Last edited:

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Ah what memories. Brilliant. Edwards would have been a star if not for injury. In that famous photo he is looking up at Roach. I'd love to know what he was thinking at that very moment as he was the only one in the pack below who would have had any idea what was happening.
I'll tell you what he was thinking! I've got this one boys! WTFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies

Would have been very high on that list but for those knees... brilliant player.

Would have been very high on that list but for those knees... brilliant player.
Yeah poor bastard his knees are absolutely stuffed.
Tells a grouse story though of when he was playing for Collingwood at the G in front of 90,000 and full of painkillers and they went through him. Thought he farted in the first quarter but.... uh oh the white shorts were a dead give away and at quarter time all the blokes were giving it to him, s**t from a-hole to breakfast time!

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
What a mark.

View attachment 730456

Just had a look at this in a photo editor...

From the bottom of K.Moore's boot to the top of his head is 328 pixels. At 193 cm that gives 0.588 cm/pixel.
From the bottom of the boot to middle of the ball is 438 pixels.
From the bottom of the boot to the top of Roach's head is 511 pixels.

Just working on Moore's stated height of 193 cm, not accounting for stretch and the distance off the ground that Moore is gives the ball at 2.57 metres off the ground and the top of Roach at 3 metres off the ground.

Account for stretch and Moore's leap and Roach was possibly eye level with a basketball ring!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back