Toast Top 50 Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Just had a look at this in a photo editor...

From the bottom of K.Moore's boot to the top of his head is 328 pixels. At 193 cm that gives 0.588 cm/pixel.
From the bottom of the boot to middle of the ball is 438 pixels.
From the bottom of the boot to the top of Roach's head is 511 pixels.

Just working on Moore's stated height of 193 cm, not accounting for stretch and the distance off the ground that Moore is gives the ball at 2.57 metres off the ground and the top of Roach at 3 metres off the ground.

Account for stretch and Moore's leap and Roach was possibly eye level with a basketball ring!

I have a good mate who was there and was sitting top of the Ponsford stand and he swore that at the highest point Roachy was eye level.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
1. Royce Hart - Everything that was good in a footballer he had, brilliant mark, courageous, agility, magnificent left foot and the ultimate big game player.
2. Kevin Bartlett - He actually was as good as he tells people he was!!
3. Matthew Richardson - God, I wish this bloke had played in a great Richmond team, Yellow & Black personified.
4. Francis Bourke - He's St Francis for a reason.
5. Alex Rance - If he retired now his record stands up against the best.
6. Maurice Rioli - Poetry in motion and tough!! Think Cyril but much, much better.
7. Dustin Martin - Will jump a few places before he's finished. Even the blokes above him didn't better his 2017 season, once in a generation player.
8. Michael Green - The best ruckman I've ever seen at Richmond, premiership star.
9. Ian Stewart - If he had played his whole career at Richmond he would be challenging Royce and KB.
10. Dale Weightman - So glad he got a flag, like Richo he was the beating heart of the Tigers in tough times. Those that saw him play for Victoria will understand how talented he was.
11. Dick Clay - Wingman in the famous Bourke, Barrot, Clay centreline and then one of the game's best full backs. One of my early favourites.
12. Billy Barrot - Streaming out of the centre with those booming drop kicks... a rock star!
13. Merve Keane - Mr Reliable, Mr Unsung. All Australian half back who also did the job as a ruck rover in a premiership.
14. Kevin Sheedy - Forget the Essendon bloke, he could play and was nasty!
15. Geoff Raines - If he played his career at Richmond would be higher, no better sight than "Pretty Boy" in full flight. A "hair off" with Cotch would be epic.
16. Trent Cotchin - Still underrated by many, tough, skillful and the current team is in his image. Great leader.
17. Michael Roach - 100 goals in a premiership season and that mark over Kel Moore.
18. Jack Reiwoldt - Has transformed from the emotional individual to a selfless champion.
19. Bryan Wood - Another favourite, held his own with the champion wingmen of his era.
20. Jimmy Jess - Playing favourites here but Jimmy was equally at home at CHF or CHB.
21. Matthew Knights - With Richo he made watching the Tiges bearable, super smooth and skilled.
22. Roger Dean - Tough, mean competitor who was far more skilled than his reputation. Instrumental in Richmond's 1960's rise.
23. David Cloke - So imposing in 1980, a giant who dropped places due to defecting to Collingwood. Great player.
24. Mark Lee - The General, who can forget him smashing the ball forward in the 1980 GF, dominant.
25. Barry Richardson - Just about the smartest player ever at Richmond. Premiership FF and Premiership FB!!
26. Wayne Campbell - Unfairly maligned for much of his career, tireless worker and smart as well.
26. Barry Rowlings - Classy left footer who flourished at Richmond.
27. Joel Bowden - With Knights, Campbell and Richo, a mainstay who deserved better teams.
28. Neil Balme - Could play and did terrorise!
29. Paul Broderick - Super classy and a really clever player.
30. Shane Edwards - Too quick of thought for most. Beautiful to watch.
31. Duncan Kelleway - You couldn't help but love this bloke.
32. Dylan Grimes - With a bullet, the best defender in the game (Rance notwithstanding)
33. Brett Deledio - Forget the GWS Lids, he was a classy player with great hands.
34. Robert Wiley - Fast and skillful and was a star in our 1980 premiership side.
35. Neville Crowe - A travesty that this bloke didn't play in our '67 flag, another reason to hate Carlton.
36. Brendon Gale - Very, very good player at Richmond... legendary CEO.
37. Darren Gaspar - Very good mark and excellent full back but that kicking style!!
38. Craig Lambert - Creative handballer that made those around him look better.
39. Chris Newman - Warrior that gave everything to the cause.
40. Billy Brown - Second rover to KB who would have been first rover at most other clubs.
41. Bachar Houli - How good is he in his supposed twilight years, great man.
42. Shaun Grigg - Up there with Barry Richardson for smarts, pivotal in 2017.
43. Paddy Guinane - Kicked 4 in the first ever game I saw. Big and strong with great hands... iffy kick at best!
44. John Northey - Dangerous half forward who performed in finals!
45. Matthew Rogers - Super consistent who played a huge part in our '95 surge.
46. Andrew Kellaway - Gutsy undersized defender who took Wayne Carey to the cleaners!
47. Nathan Foley - Would love him in this current side... injuries cruelled him at his peak.
48. Rex Hunt - Was a fine footballer at both ends of the ground, great hands.
49. Michael Pickering - Super hands and courageous.
50. David Astbury - Reliable, consistent and complements Grimes and Rance beautifully.

That was hard!
Will have missed some.
i think allan edwards deseves to be in the top 50 somewhere as he was well on the way to being above average,debuted at 17..by the time he did his knee at 20,hed played about 60 games & produced some outstanding performances...better than wayne campbell for example,completely different player but better,better than,pickering,kellaway,astbury,hunt,foley,rogers,bowden,gale,newman,johnson,grigg,...ive seen all these guys,a 17-20 yr old allan edwards
had them covered...u know how jake stringer for example was feited and fawned upon during and up to his fourth season of afl football..thats
where allan edwards at 20 yrs of age was at..thats y i rate him...also robert mcghie & mick malthouse walk on to that list

Last edited:

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Grimes is as good a defender as St Francis .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’d compare Grimmes and Gaspar and a name that hasn’t had a mention Vlastuin to St Francis , grew up with the “Centre line heaven Bourne Barrot Clay”
And was close to the incident at Glenferrie when he broke his leg , times and the game has changed but Vlas displays a lot of courage for today’s game , plays effectively on taller opponents like Francis did (without arm chopping 😀) , he isn’t mentioned in top 50 discussions yet , and rightly so , but do reckon he is building to it

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d compare Grimmes and Gaspar and a name that hasn’t had a mention Vlastuin to St Francis , grew up with the “Centre line heaven Bourne Barrot Clay”
And was close to the incident at Glenferrie when he broke his leg , times and the game has changed but Vlas displays a lot of courage for today’s game , plays effectively on taller opponents like Francis did (without arm chopping 😀) , he isn’t mentioned in top 50 discussions yet , and rightly so , but do reckon he is building to it
Yes Vlas is quality, goes without saying! I'd only mention his name in relation to Bourkey when he starts to rack up game numbers closer to the 300 mark...
Durability and toughness counts plenty in my coaching book when we start comparing players to Bourke, Vlas is tough is good! Now for durability!

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
A lot of the names that have been “questioned” does it come down to what is the criteria for top 50 sheer individual brilliance ? Number games/goals or does being an important part in a powerhouse side

From late 60’s to 82 we were a powerhouse club for much of that period
The likes of Hunt & Mcghie have been questioned as to top 50 credentials , those and others played in a lot of block buster games during the season against the other powerful clubs of the day and of course finals and gf’s and they’ve stood up , they may have looked like lesser lights compared to Royce , KB , Ian 3 brownlows Stewart etc but were and still are significant players from their era

General Lee , to my eye , had a short period of sheer ruck dominance , but was it to short to be a top 50 player ??

The good player in a weak side has to display different qualities , usually some package of skills , grit and endurance
Their efforts , while not as brilliant are important for the club and stop us from sliding into irrelevance and give the supporters something to hang onto, where should players like this sit in the top 50 ?

I don’t know but enjoy the debate

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
A lot of the names that have been “questioned” does it come down to what is the criteria for top 50 sheer individual brilliance ? Number games/goals or does being an important part in a powerhouse side

From late 60’s to 82 we were a powerhouse club for much of that period
The likes of Hunt & Mcghie have been questioned as to top 50 credentials , those and others played in a lot of block buster games during the season against the other powerful clubs of the day and of course finals and gf’s and they’ve stood up , they may have looked like lesser lights compared to Royce , KB , Ian 3 brownlows Stewart etc but were and still are significant players from their era

General Lee , to my eye , had a short period of sheer ruck dominance , but was it to short to be a top 50 player ??

The good player in a weak side has to display different qualities , usually some package of skills , grit and endurance
Their efforts , while not as brilliant are important for the club and stop us from sliding into irrelevance and give the supporters something to hang onto, where should players like this sit in the top 50 ?

I don’t know but enjoy the debate
Well put. Also, time does strange things to our memories as I'm sure Hart, KB and Francis must have played poor games... I just can't remember them.
I'd like to see a few others put up their top 50, especially those who have strong opinions on who should or shouldn't be on the list.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Well put. Also, time does strange things to our memories as I'm sure Hart, KB and Francis must have played poor games... I just can't remember them.
I'd like to see a few others put up their top 50, especially those who have strong opinions on who should or shouldn't be on the list.
Law of averages says your prolly right there...but a poor game for them would most likely be a very good game for the average player back then...

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
FWIW my top in no particular order ok

RAINES
BARTLETT
BOURKE
SHEEDY
GREEN
BALME
CLAY
WALSH
I.STEWART
B.RICHARDSON
M.RICHARDSON
HART
MALTHOUSE
McGHIE
A.EDWARDS
S.EDWARDS
ROWLINGS
CLOKE
WOOD
BRODERICK
McINTOSH
NANKERVIS
M.PICKERING
JESS
KEANE
WILEY
PRESTIA
DELEDIO
ROACH
LEE
WEIGHTMAN
M.RIOLI
DAFFY
HOGG
D.RIOLI
GASPAR
GRIMES
VALUSTIN
RANCE
REIWOLDT
COTCHIN
MARTIN
HOULI
LYNCH
B.GALE
KNIGHTS
TURNER
C.LAMBERT
K.LAMBERT
D.KELLAWAY

Latest inclusions : McINTOSH LYNCH
Moved to 2nd best 50 : DUNNE STRACHAN

Last edited:

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
FWIW my top in no particular order ok

RAINES
BARTLETT
BOURKE
SHEEDY
GREEN
BALME
CLAY
WALSH
BARROT
B.RICHARDSON
M.RICHARDSON
HART
MALTHOUSE
McGHIE
A.EDWARDS
S.EDWARDS
ROWLINGS
CLOKE
WOOD
CROWE
PATTERSON
NORTHEY
DEAN
JESS
KEANE
WILEY
HUNT
STRANG
SPROULE
ROACH
LEE
WEIGHTMAN
M.RIOLI
DAFFY
HOGG
I.STEWART
GASPAR
GRIMES
VALUSTIN
RANCE
REIWOLDT
COTCHIN
MARTIN
HOULI
STRACHAN
FREE
KNIGHTS
TURNER
LAMBERT
D.KELLAWAY
random thought - that's your club list , now pick 1sts & 2nds sides LOL I just thought about the log jam there would be for tall forwards

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
True they probably had poor games but they would have been rare. I was only a youngster but if you look at Hafeys coaching record he had 70% win rate Dimmas win rate as coach by comparison is about %55. We were a powerhouse under Hafey, probably our most successful era ever.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
I’m thinking Cotchin, Riewoldt, Dusty, Rance all make top 20 when their careers are done. Dusty top 5 easily

Dark horses are Grimes, Vlastuin, Edwards to crack into this range too, especially if we continue to have success within this era

If Prestia keeps it up I wouldn't be against having him on the Top 50 list somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back