Int: Rioli - Knights - Delidio - Cotchin

Last edited:

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Rancey and Dusty will be right up there. How exciting is it, that we are currently watching 2 players, that at the end of their careers could be in the top 3-5 players Richmond has ever had! Savour it!!
And seriously not too far behind them both...Cotch, Grimes and JR! What a time to be alive!

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
I challenge anyone to watch this and tell me Dusty isn't already number 1.

I'm 45 and have seen the best of KB, Rioli, Weightman, Richo. Never saw Hart play, nor Stewart, Clay or Barrot. Only saw Francis Bourke in the final years of his career.

Dusty beats all of them IMHO.

^ Im in my 50s and would have Royce as no. 1. He was CHF in the team of the century, that counts for a lot in my book.

KB would be 2nd and Dusty 3rd.

I don't know why they have Raines in the top 10. I was a fan of his but no way is he one of our GOATs

KB ,the bigger the game,the better he played,especially grand finals.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Paddy Guinane - Kicked 4 in the first ever game I saw. Big and strong with great hands... iffy kick at best!

:thumbsu: As an 11 year old this giant of a man came out to school in Perth with a couple of other VFL team footballers, I remember how big Paddy Guinane was, blazer & tie, slicked 50s style hair - he went OK v WA on Subi the next weekend..

28. Neil Balme - Could play and did terrorise!
Balmey was 16 when he debuted for Subi (1968), rucked against Polly who suggested he had a promising career ahead - debuted for the Tiges in 1970.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I challenge anyone to watch this and tell me Dusty isn't already number 1.

I'm 45 and have seen the best of KB, Rioli, Weightman, Richo. Never saw Hart play, nor Stewart, Clay or Barrot. Only saw Francis Bourke in the final years of his career.

Dusty beats all of them IMHO.

3 of the best tigers i have seen wore number 4

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I don't know why they have Raines in the top 10. I was a fan of his but no way is he one of our GOATs

He was on the verge but decided to leave and Collingwood,Essendon and Brisbane sunk him to mediocrity. So I also dont know why is up there.

Almost none of us including old pricks like me didnt see Hart but the way people talk about him has me thinking that anything Dusty does then Hart was doing the same back in his day.

Monjike

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2013
1950's newstand at Richmond Station.
AFL Club
Richmond
He was on the verge but decided to leave and Collingwood,Essendon and Brisbane sunk him to mediocrity. So I also dont know why is up there.

Almost none of us including old pricks like me didnt see Hart but the way people talk about him has me thinking that anything Dusty does then Hart was doing the same back in his day.
Just a reminder about Royce Hart...

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 274

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
74 Grand Final I was there watching...I have vague memories of that match!
All I can remember was Sheedy, KB and Hart!
Hart was just a beautiful mover over the ground around CHF and when he kicked for goal, his ball drop and kick was a thing of beauty to watch!
Royce Hart was the best CHF back then full stop! 74 was not at his peak but still good enough to play in the GF...

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Weren't there problems paying Rioli because the club was broke? He missed '86 and came back in '87 from memory. Changed from 17 to 27. Nowhere near the player though. He was a little out of condition by then. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he miss a year and then return to the club?

Edit: He only missed the first 8 weeks of '86. But from memory it was not injury-related.

In '86, Geoffrey Edelstone took over the Swans and basically bought 7+ players - including Greg Williams, Gerard Healy, Merv Neagle, Bernard Toohey, Jim Edmond - all pretty good guns. He also made a play for Maurice Rioli, and for a while it looked like Rioli was going. There were the photos in the papers etc. However there was a (very flexible) salary cap in operation - god knows how far the Swans went over with all those players (the VFL turned a blind eye to their Sydney love child - hey, there's a shock:cool:). However Rioli was going to put them so far overe the cap that even the VFL said 'look, that's enough'.

It runbled on for some time, there were contracts thrown up everywhere, but eventually Rioli returned to Richmond. Not sure why he had to wear 27.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Have to add this is Sheahan's list of players he has seen, not all time Tigers.

In terms of club greats (and not just on # of premierships) there are few names on there who I would have question marks on both in terms of placing and being on the list at all.

26. Robert McGhie
28. Kevin Morris
37. Rex Hunt
44. Bruce Monteath
46. Kane Johnson
48. Tony Free
49. Michael Pickering
50. Andrew Kellaway

Mighty fine players and some extremely popular but top 50 now? I am not sure. I'd be pushing some of these guys out for our current Tigers.

Andrew Kellaway was a gun, much better player than Shaun Grigg so disagree with the OP on that one.

Dusty has to be in the top 5 and maybe making a move near #1 ? I never saw Hart and Bartlett though

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Andrew Kellaway was a gun, much better player than Shaun Grigg so disagree with the OP on that one.

Dusty has to be in the top 5 and maybe making a move near #1 ? I never saw Hart and Bartlett though
Dusty is richmond royalty.dustys moving closer to KB but hes got a bit to do yet...i saw KB ...KB was hated by rival supporters he was that good...dustys loved...
1 of the main reasons opposition hated KB was because hed throw the ball out in front of himself just before being tackled therefore forcing umps to give a free kick to him foe being held...in the end there was a rule bought in to stop his innovation and changed to dropping the ball..all because of KB's mastery
Also KB played in an era where i"ll name 4 afl legends straight off the top my head in Matthews,Blight,Jesaulenko & Greig where he was Brownlow favourite on at least 2 occasions and easily sits in the company of those 4,easily...5x premiership player,5x B&F,Norm Smith medallist..800 goals...combine the brownlows,premierships,norm smiths & club best and fairests of the those 4 to give you an idea where KB would almost be centre of that table....the head table..and ya Dangerfields and ya Fyffes and ya Swans and ya Pendleburys and ya Ablett jnrs...theyre 3 tables back....thats how good KB was..
i know of 3 statues mounted in the honor of those players and if Jezza doesnt have one well he bloody hell should have one,thats all i'll say.

Last edited:

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
SHEEDY RANCE MALTHOUSE
BOURKE JESS GRIMES
WOOD RAINES WALSH
M.RICHARDSON HART A.EDWARDS
MARTIN ROACH WEIGHTMAN