Opinion Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Shai Bolton is the player everyone is waiting for.
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

I literally googled it and found this in under 10 seconds, not that it means it's true or anything. But is it really so surprising that someone might think the AA CHF and BnF winner from the premiership winning team has claims to being the best player in the league?

yeah, he was definitely playing like the best player in the comp for a fair while. I see regular articles about Shai Bolton and about 20 other players at some point in the season but I have no issue with Cameron being there even though he never does much against my mob.

No picnic having a crack at a top 50 near to impossible getting on a ham and cheese. Full on lung busting of a coupla packs of Winnie Blue 40's job I reckon. Fair effort in the end. The only thing that's glaringly obvious swap Walsh with Naicos I reckon.

Last edited:
I laughed at the insecurity.

I'd have him in my list, but it's not as though he's a top 5-10 player in the game.

Those who have done the exercise in here seem to mostly have him at 35+ so it's not inconceivable or completely unreasonable for him to be outside 50 for some.
It’s not insecurity to suggest he should be there and that it was a basic oversight. The OP even stated as much.

lol yeah I know. anyone who puts petracca over Oliver really can't watch that many dees games I don't think. it's not even really close.

Even in big games? I think Trac has more X factor and potential to bust games wide open. Oliver is more consistent though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they were both on the open market, who would demand more?

I say Petracca.

FMD, I'm agreeing with Falcon...
Think about this from my perspective. I'm a dees fan. I've got no reason to rate one player higher than another. But Oliver is just better. Oliver is probably better than Petracca at almost every facet of the game other than overhead marking. Petracca was the worst goal kicker in the afl last year. Essentially 19 goals, 46 behinds/on the fulls. Horrendous converting. Oliver is just so much better in the contest too. And has much better vision, much cleaner, better awareness and much more consistent. He's also quicker, fitter and better defensively.

Even in big games? I think Trac has more X factor and potential to bust games wide open. Oliver is more consistent though.

Petracca had a great 2021 grand final. Oliver also had a great GF. 33 possessions, 10 tackles and he kicked the sealer. not to mention cooling Bont in the 2nd half.
Oliver plays well in every game. So when you say 'even in big games'. If it's a game of footy, Oliver will play well. It's very rare that he doesn't play well.

Think about this from my perspective. I'm a dees fan. I've got no reason to rate one player higher than another. But Oliver is just better. Oliver is probably better than Petracca at almost every facet of the game other than overhead marking. Petracca was the worst goal kicker in the afl last year. Essentially 19 goals, 46 behinds/on the fulls. Horrendous converting. Oliver is just so much better in the contest too. And has much better vision, much cleaner, better awareness and much more consistent. He's also quicker, fitter and better defensively.
Fair call. I rate Oliver very highly as well, and reckon him and Petracca are in the best 5 players in the game.

As a Collingwood supporter, I'd take Petracca ahead of Oliver, and reckon many others would have a similar view. Whether it is a majority, who knows?

Might be a good poll thread 😁😁😁

Fair call. I rate Oliver very highly as well, and reckon him and Petracca are in the best 5 players in the game.

As a Collingwood supporter, I'd take Petracca ahead of Oliver, and reckon many others would have a similar view. Whether it is a majority, who knows?

Might be a good poll thread 😁😁😁
oh yeah, quite possibly, you could be right on Petracca's trade value externally. but internally Oliver is rated higher. Hence why Petracca has 1 BnF and Oliver has 4. And if Petracca and Oliver both went to Collingwood, you'd also prefer Oliver imo. And not even by a little bit, but a long way. People have this impression that Oliver is this slow accumulator when in fact he is quicker than Petracca and probably more powerful because he hits contests at higher speeds. I feel like it's lazy when someone gets 40 touches and labels them as an accumulator with a slight inference that he is less damaging. I tell you what was damaging, petraccas goal kicking. His kicking is worse than Matthew Richardson's at his worst. lol. It drove me up the wall last season.

Would have the be up there with the worst conversion ever if those figures are correct?

That's positional

I tried to soften the blow, sounded a little weird. Didn’t want people blowing up about Rioli maybe making the top 50 and marking smart ass comments towards me. Still got it anyway, can’t win. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back