Opinion Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

The following list based on projected output in 2023.

1Marcus Bontempelli
2Clayton Oliver
3Patrick Cripps
4Christian Petracca
5Jeremy Cameron
6Lachie Neale
7Touk Miller
8Andrew Brayshaw
9Charlie Curnow
10Jack Steele
11Darcy Moore
12Aaron Naughton
13Connor Rozee
14Harry McKay
15Rory Laird
16Darcy Parish
17Chad Warner
18Jordon De Goey
19Tom Liberatore
20Josh Dunkley
21Steven May
22Harry McKay
23Tom Stewart
24Ollie Wines
25Shai Bolton
26Callum Mills
27Max Gawn
28Jacob Weitering
29Hugh McGluggage
30Caleb Serong
31Tom Lynch
32Jack Crisp
33Bailey Smith
34Harris Andrews
35Sam Taylor
36Dion Prestia
37Jackson Macrae
38James Sicily
39Noah Anderson
40Zach Merrett
41Isaac Heeney
42Kozi Pickett
43Tim Taranto
44Charlie Cameron
45Luke Parker
46Matthew Rowell
47Nick Daicos
48Tyson Stengle
49Tom Papley
50Brodie Grundy

Have left out Fyfe, Dangerfield and D. Martin as we can't expect them to play enough games to be in the 50 best players over the course of the season.

Toby Greene would also usually be in there, but he just misses too many games due to injury/suspension.

Have also left out S. Walsh and Hawkins given their off season surgeries and unknown timeframes for recovery.
You've only listed Harry McKay twice. Surely he deserves to be listed 3-4 times at least?

Just did a quick count 35 from a Victorian club, 15 from non Victorian clubs
Yes not so much the number of but where they’re at, big club more eyes bonus for some as well
Degoey @ 16
Dusty @ 7
Prestia@ 23
Rowan Marshall but no Sean Darcy ??
Also old people still buy papers so it’s good to have swans and lions involved.

Last edited:

Robbo obviously must be predicting a significant drop off in form to leave Jack Steele out entirely

Along with searching for clicks and selling papers Also remember this is for a Victorian paper catering for a Victorian audience
Bear in mind, there is only one human being in Victoria that would consider Charlie Curnow for the no 1 spot.

1 Charlie Curnow
2 Christian Petracca
3 Marcus Bontempelli
4 Patrick Cripps
5 Clayton Oliver
6 Jeremy Cameron
7 Dustin Martin
8 Lachie Neale
9 Patrick Dangerfield
10 Chad Warner
11 Tom Lynch
12 Tom Stewart
13 Shai Bolton
14 Connor Rozee
15 Darcy Moore
16 Jordan De Goey
17 Touk Miller
18 Toby Greene
19 Andrew Brayshaw
20 Hugh McCluggage
21 Aaron Naughton
22 Steven May
23 Dion Prestia
24 Josh Dunkley
25 Jack Macrae
26 James Sicily
27 Max Gawn
28 Tom Hawkins
29 Tim English
30 Jacob Weitering
31 Callum Mills
32 Charlie Cameron
33 Nick Daicos
34 Cam Guthrie
35 Rowan Marshall
36 Zach Merrett
37 Luke Davies-Uniacke
38 Nick Vlastuin

39 Isaac Heeney
40 Sam Walsh
41 Rory Laird
42 Brayden Maynard
43 Harry McKay
44 Tom Barrass
45 Angus Brayshaw
46 Luke Parker
47 Mark Blicavs
48 Tim Taranto
49 Sam Taylor
50 Bailey Smith

I would urge everybody to remember that these lists are not a list of the best footballers, but an exercise in farming clicks and arguments. That's how this works.
Since i've clicked here, bold = dubious selections.

Prestia is too injured to consider top 50. Great when he's on, but struggles to consistently find that form.
Marshall is a great mark but he's not a great ruckman compared to his peers. Sean Darcy has him covered comfortably.
Merrett has become very low impact in recent years. I could happily name a dozen players not on this list that should be ahead of him
LDU i might be a bit unfair on.
Vlaustin is a good defender, but like Merrett i could name a few i'd have ahead of him for this list. Similar for Maynard
Taranto & Smith - bit meh for me to be mids in the top 50

Missing from a predictive perspective:
Noah Anderson - Tipping he'll be top 20 by seasons end. Looks a very good player with a good support network coming up around him
Hayden Young - So underrated in the shadow of Brayshaw and Serong.
Sean Darcy - For all the Grundy/Gawn talk, i think he'll be up there in AA ruck conversation this year.
Jack Crisp - not sure why so many sleep on this guy. He's a weapon in that pies midfield. Josh Daicos another one in that side that seems to fly under the radar. Will also throw Elliott in too. Arguably the best small fwd in the comp.
Zak Butters - Has Rozee (who is great), but misses Butters (who is better). perplexed.
Mason Redman - breakout season in 2022 and had been building towards it. Was unlucky not to be in the AA squad
Adam Saad - see Redman (except he made the squad)
Tom Atkins - personifies modern footy to a premiership level....not in the top 50.

Seriously though… Charlie Curnow 😂😂

I can show you a player who, at an identical age, playing as a key forward in one of the absolute shittest teams in the comp:

Unlike Curnow, copped the #1 key defender every week
Kicked a whole 10 goals less for the season
Took more marks
Was a far more accurate shot at goal
Had a far better disposal efficiency around the ground
Had more goal assists
Gave away less frees
Had less clangers
Had less turnovers
Had double the one-percenters
Is 11cm taller
Is 6kg heavier

And does all that while also going into the ruck when called upon each quarter and doing a stellar job in there.

Arise the true #1:

Two Metre Peter

Better than Curnow. Facts don’t lie.

I am sure i read last preseason, that Shiel would/is better than C Curnow

Anyway, Wright did have a very good year, think he was also the most targeted tall forward in 2022? Interested to see how he travels this year

You've only listed Harry McKay twice. Surely he deserves to be listed 3-4 times at least?
tbf Slobbo is a drunk, so he probably did put him in twice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think Robbo's list is bad, check out ESPN's effort (with special appearance from George Hewitt at 50)

lol. 15 games and names him top 50, and calls his colleague out for having Bolton top 3 in the AFL.
its not the worst list though

Along with searching for clicks and selling papers Also remember this is for a Victorian paper catering for a Victorian audience
More specifically a conservative Victorian paper catering for conservative Victorians.

On SEN this morning Whatley mistakenly said Charlie Cameron was Robbo's number one and I thought "Hmm, Interesting" Moments later he corrected himself and said "Apologies, I meant Charlie Curnow" And I thought "WTF?"

Curnow had a great year, no doubt… but for mine he’s not even the best key forward at Carlton, let alone the best player in the league!

On SEN this morning Whatley mistakenly said Charlie Cameron was Robbo's number one and I thought "Hmm, Interesting" Moments later he corrected himself and said "Apologies, I meant Charlie Curnow" And I thought "WTF?"
So you thought Charlie Cameron being no.1 would've been better than last year's coleman medallist in Curnow? Odd

If you think Robbo's list is bad, check out ESPN's effort (with special appearance from George Hewitt at 50)

Sicily at 12.

Waynes World Yes GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back