43. Andrew Swallow
44. Nick Dal Santo
45. Jarrad Waite
46. Harry O'Brien
47. Aaron Davey
48. Dale Morris
49. James Frawley
50. Kieren Jack

This is Mike's top 50 from the start of the year and I was curious as to how he went.

Names in bold should be significantly lower, whereas names in italics should be higher.

Note: sandy, hays and brown have all been effected by injury and therefore i left them blank.

Who should be in this list who isnt?
Have I missed anyone who should be higher or lower in your opinion?

In terms of Carlton I believe Murph should be much higher and Scotland and Jamo should be in the top 50...

Judd at 4 seems reasonable. I'd put Murphy at 2 or 3. Definitely Jamison in there somewhere.

Jammo should be top 15.

Murphy top 10, probably even 5.

Judd top 5.

Guys from our team that could be in from 30 and below:

Yarran
Waite
Garlett
Walker

But the thing with these top 50 lists is they should change every fortnight. When Sheahan made this list how was he to know that Cooney, Goddard and Riewoldt would all of a sudden have a s**t year? At the time of compiling this list, it looks pretty accurate but from about spots 35 and below there were many players that could be in instead of out and those that are in there could've just as easily been left out.

1. Lance Franklin
2. Brendon Goddard
3. Gary Ablett
4. Chris Judd
5. Nick Riewoldt
6. Aaron Sandilands
7. Dane Swan
8. Luke Hodge
9. Joel Selwood
10. Scott Pendlebury

On this years form Goddard, Riewoldt and Hodge drop out, Swan probably clings to a position.

11. Adam Cooney
12. Jonathon Brown
13. Matthew Pavlich
14. Paul Chapman
15. Adam Goodes
16. Jimmy Bartel
17. Cyril Rioli
18. Lenny Hayes
19. Matthew Scarlett
20. Dale Thomas

Probably not too far wrong. Cooney nowhere to be seen...if anything Hayes absence just underlines his value. Others listed would all be there or thereabouts.

21. Shaun Burgoyne
22. Brian Lake
23. Jack Riewoldt
24. Alan Didak
25. Ryan Griffen
26. Brent Harvey
27. Marc Murphy
28. Matthew Boyd
29. Mark LeCras
30. Shaun Higgins

This is where a few drop off. Burgoyne may scrape into the top 50, certainly not top 20/30. Lake is AWOL, Didak having no impact on games, Le Cras would be on the fringe of the 50, Higgins further back. Murphy into the top ten, Boyd probably early teens.

31. Brad Green
32. Steve Johnson
33. Heath Shaw
34. Corey Enright
35. Darren Jolly
36. Sam Fisher
37. Brett Deledio
38. Jobe Watson
39. Shane Mumford
40. Travis Boak

Not a bad grouping. Green obviously drops out of the 50, as does Jolly on account of jury. Could push Jobe further up, and probably drop Boak down out of the 50 or on the fringe, but arguments can be made for the rest.

41. David Mundy
42. Leigh Montagna
43. Andrew Swallow
44. Nick Dal Santo
45. Jarrad Waite
46. Harry O'Brien
47. Aaron Davey
48. Dale Morris
49. James Frawley
50. Kieren Jack

Mundy & Swallow would both jump up 15-20 places. Harry O, Davey drop out, as do Frawley & jack on account of games played.

All up not a bad effort from Mike. On this years form only I woud find a middle of the pack spot for Jamo, and somehwere between 30-50 for Bryce

Whilst I don't particular like or dislike Sheahan, putting together a top 50 is freakin' hard. It's always gonna have howlers in retrospect, so don't think yourself too heroic for re-ordering it after the fact. Sheahan's list is always about predicting who is going to be the top 50 for the coming year, rather than previous year's play.

Certainly from Carlton's POV Murphy is the big mover, probably all the way to the top 10, whilst Judd would no doubt hold his position. Waite has probably drifted marginally, but is/was a reasonable call at about that level. Jamison would be the other guy, with a bullet. And if Walker maintains form, you have to start talking about him.

Plenty of guys drop clean off this list due to lack of fitness, etc like Cooney, Lake, Brown, etc. Hodge would slip too, clearly hampered by injury. Pretty much every Saint except Fisher would slip. All Dogs except Boyd and (I think) Griffen would slip.

Burgoyne has done very little, Didak has been awful.

In retrospect, it's a pretty solid list. And the Blues are well-represented!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Top whatever list will always be an individuals choice, and pretty much every other individual will have differing selections. I quite like when Mike does these lists as its an excellent conversation starter. He never claims for it to be gospel, just where he himself see's players worth.

Injury and all that can never be forseen, either can form. Would be interested to see how his mid season re-evaluation would look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back