Prediction TOP 8 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Can, but it's 50/50 for me. Just too many questions forward and back.

Take the top few sides out of the discussion and there is another 10-12 sides lining up for a crack at the bottom half of the 8 and the 1 thing they all have is that there are just too many unanswered questions about aspects of their teams.

As thread called Top 8 - 2018

Begs the question?

And who for 2018 are our top 8 players?

Here is mine in numbered order:

• Wells, Elliott, Treloar, Pendlebury, Reid, Sidebottom. Grundy, Howe.

And folks your top 8 can be best player, most important, most valuable or anyway you deem necessary to bring up 8 players.

Over to you.

Eight is Enough only! *

* not the tv show eight is enough (with the wonderful Elizabeth :coupleheart: )

Last edited:

As thread called Top 8 - 2018

Begs the question?

And who for 2018 are our top 8 players?

Here is mine in numbered order:

• Wells, Elliott, Treloar, Pendlebury, Reid, Sidebottom. Moore, Howe.

And folks your top 8 can be best player, most important, most valuable or anyway you deem necessary to bring up 8 players.

Over to you.

Eight is Enough only! *

* not the tv show eight is enough (with the wonderful Elizabeth :coupleheart: )

My top 8 players, in terms that need to stand up in order for us to play finals :

Cox, Grundy ( This combo needs to click instantly, particulary if Moore is back. We will be depending on both these players kicking goals)

Adams, Treloar ( These two need to improve their efficiency going forward. They must hit targets inside F50, and not waste disposals as we saw last year. Both get alot of it, so if they can better their disposal efficiency inside 50 we could get alot more opportunities on goal)

Moore ( Big call to send him back, but couod prove a masterstroke. He is a aerobic beast with his leap, closing speed and his speed for a bigman, particulary his ability to run and bounce the ball, this could be a weapon for us off D50. If he takes to CHB and plays with a freedom, without the pressure of kicking goals, we could be talking about him as one of the real success stories of 2018)

Wells, Pendlebury ( we need both these guys playing 90-95% of games this year. Two of the best play creaters in the comp with ball in hand. If they stay fit and get enough of the ball each game, we no doubt will get plenty of scoring opportunities)

Fasolo ( The main gripe about our side and the chances of making the top 8, is our ability to kick enough goals. Big year for Faz l think, we are aware of his struggles, but he now seems to be more at ease. Watching him at training he looks upbeat and involved, eventhough he cannot do much after surgery. If this guy can play to the level he has in the ability catergory, he could be a real weapon. He has fantastic hands overhead, has xfactor, can kick long goals, very good below his knees and makes opposition defenders panic when he is on a roll. If he stays fit, plays with a clear mind and just plays with the skill he possesses and not the potential, Faz can easily be a 50-60 goal forward)

Treloar, Grundy, Howe, Elliott, Wells, Pendlebury, Dunn.

1. Elliot. He's our 2-3+ goalkicker a game, he's the barometer. Forget Faz, this blokes the class.
2/3. Pendles/Wells. I think they work almost as well as each other but I don't expect more than 12-14 games from DW. For mine, Pendles has to do more, be more proactive and hurt teams MORE. He's still silky but his ability to hurt teams (particularly with a couple of goals a game) has dropped away in the last 2-3 years. He HAS to kick those clutch goals.
4. Grundy...for mine he's the spiritual leader of this group and when he goes "full animal" the rest of them get a lot more confident. Every year he's improved an aspect of his play, this year I hope he can manage a goal a game. Do that and he's all Australian.
5. Sidebottom he's a ball magnet and can sniff a goal anytime he's in range. Copeland Trophies don't come easy so he has a lot to live up to in 2018.
6/7. DeGoey/Maynard. Time's up boys! We need the both of our bulls to come to the party THIS year. We need aggressive running and ball use from stoppages and both of these guys provide that. If these two come off like I hope they will then strap yourselves in...its gonna be fun to watch.
8. Treloar. Has been good since he came to us, now he needs to be great. Great players can lift to new levels (I don't see it in Adams for instance) but Treloar can be great if he pushes through to that next level.

I think Howe's a bit stiff but I can't really argue with any of that.

No particular order, my top eight players.

Pendles - Nothing can be said that hasn't been spoken about Scott before, majestic, courage, gun!

Treloar - Running machine with explosive power and a accumulator of the footy. I would actually like to see Adam play on the opposite wing to WHE.

WHE - Is one of the players I'm most excited about this year. Developed consistency in his game after a solid pre-season. Fingers and toes crossed he has no hiccups this year. Wilbur is a game changer with x factor and athleticism, elite foot skills as well.

Adams - Uncompromising, courageus hard nut. Needs to continually work on his foot skills but everything else is exceptionally good. Young leader as well. Wouldn't mind if the club pushed Taylor forward every now and then to play that defensive forward role.

Siddy - All class and reliable, hopefully we can afford to push him forward this year!

Grundy - Probably didn't reach the dizzy heights we all expected but I think it's only a matter of time. Knocking down on the AA door for section again this year.

Howe - Very unlucky not to be AA, super consistent last year. Developed into a leader and is a potential swing man this year if the form of Shazz and Langdon deep is maintained. Howe playing as a defensive wingman or third tall role is a possibility!

Elliott - Showed last year how important he is to CFC. While we didn't see the high flying marks from previous years , Jamie still found a way to impact the score board. Hopefully he can regain full fitness and those screamers we've become accustomed to return.

Fas - Unlucky not to be top eight. Extremely solid year last year and Alex managed it while playing under duress. I for one have knocked him in the past for being soft but last year he ground out a season to be proud of, nothing soft about it at all.

Wells - Unlucky based on his out put last year rather than talent. Everyone knows he's one of the most talented players when on the park, Daniel just needs to be there more frequently.

Last edited:
Interesting article by Connolly below:

FROM SEN’S ROHAN CONNOLLY

Despite an off-season of sweeping change, Rohan Connolly says there is simply no more excuses for Collingwood this year.

The Magpies’ large scale review at the end of last season conducted by footy boss Geoff Walsh saw the club appoint a new chief executive (Mark Anderson) and a new head of fitness, while also bringing 2010 premiership captain Nick Maxwell back into the fold as leadership and culture manager.

While the entirety of the assistant coaching staff was also replaced as part of the well-publicised review, with Justin Longmuir, Garry Hocking and Matthew Boyd the new names to join the coaching team, senior coach Nathan Buckley was retained for two more years despite the Pies’ continual tumble down the ladder since his first season at the helm in 2012.

Connolly believes the fact that arguably the three most important positions at the club have not changed in some time – with Buckley starting his seventh season as coach, Eddie McGuire on the verge of finishing his second decade as president and Scott Pendlebury yesterday being retained for a fifth year as captain – means that there is no excuses left for poor performance despite the “roll of the dice” changes in other key positions.

“Buckley survived last season despite a fourth season in a row without a finals appearance. McGuire is in his 20th season as Collingwood president. They lead a club with enormous resources and support, but which continues to struggle on field,” the veteran journalist said on SEN Mornings.

“Two premierships in 60 years is the bottom line. Even Melbourne, which now hasn’t won a flag since 1964, has three over that same 60 year time frame.

“There are still doubts over the Pies on the field. A midfield ranked by Champion Data as number one in the competition last year is now only ranked sixth. Collingwood is preparing to turn a young forward in Darcy Moore into a defender and hoping a long-time defender in Ben Reid can provide goals instead.

“There’s a whole raft of still youngish players on the list upon whom the jury is still out, but this time they are simply going to have to come good. The gambles are simply going to have to work and the new positions must pay off immediately.

“In 2018 for Collingwood, there’s simply no more excuses.”

1990 Collingwood premiership player and two-time best and fairest Mick McGuane agreed with Connolly, saying there is no doubt 2018 is a massive year for his former side.

“The last few years they have been under the microscope and rightfully so,” the 1992 All-Australian said.

“It hasn’t been good, it has been a slippery dip. They haven’t had continuity with some of their really strong talent in Reid and (Jamie) Elliott over a couple of years but that aside, there’s no more excuses.”

Collingwood kick off their 2018 campaign against Hawthorn on Saturday March 24.

Is that a Connelly article? It reads like an article written based off his quotes from SEN. I doubt Rohan would get something like the statement about our assistant coaches wrong in one of his articles.

He doesn't write for the Age anymore so a link would be nice from Help My Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing really new in it. Nothing we don’t already know

Yeah but its "interesting" according to our friend seeking salvation for OUR Club.

Last edited:
Yeah but its "interesting" according according to our friend seeking salvation for OUR Club.
Hope they move it to the other thread, god it boring now, even for me

He is 100% correct. No where to hide. We have rolled the dice, shuffled the deck chairs, gilded the lily....
If the on field swinging of Reid/Moore and Cox/Grundy works then that is a big start.
I cant see Reid or Moore being in the same spot all year. It has to be swing when needed.
The other factor is the improvement of 5-10% on players confidence and form. If blokes get a sustained run at it and go well, then that just builds for each of them and the team.
Lastly. Injuries.
The great unknown, the curse, the blame Daveron or the new Irish bloke....
It is an insane contact sport. Injuries occur.
The Bulldogs won a flag with massive Injuries.
Improvement in game plan, players, structures, the new coaches input and a big smorgasboard Homer Simpson style sized helping of good luck on the injury front.
See how easy this game is?

Hope they move it to the other thread, god it boring now, even for me

I thought I was a patient person but it got boring for me a while ago.

The sooner they start kicking the footy for real the better.

I thought I was a patient person but it got boring for me a while ago.

The sooner they start kicking the footy for real the better.
Just hope we are winning, or we will see a lot of posters we have not seen since last season

We have a list that is good enough for the eight, if a lot goes right we will improve, but still be l think we will be around 9-11 spot

Last edited:
For those wondering where the article HMC found came from; it was written by Justin Talent(?) 4 days ago...
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/01/25/no-more-excuses-for-the-pies-in-2018-connolly/

Here's another one only 21 hours old...
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/01/29/different-voices-to-enhance-pies-leadership-group-dal-santo/

Former St Kilda and North Melbourne star Nick Dal Santo says that Collingwood’s leadership group for the upcoming season has an intriguing mix.
The Magpies last week announced that Scott Pendlebury will continue to captain the club with Steele Sidebottom remaining as vice-captain. Taylor Adams, Jeremy Howe and Lynden Dunn rounded out the group.
Dal Santo told SEN Afternoons that he liked the group’s diversity and the difference in opinions that they may have.
“The interesting part is that three of them – Howe, Adams and Dunn – are from other football clubs,” he said.
“Pendlebury and Sidebottom have grown up in the Collingwood regime – whatever they believe in, whatever they are taught from the age of 17 or 19, it’s a Collingwood way. When you come from different football club, you see the game differently in regard to on-field performance, training standards, disciplinary action.
“I like to have a leadership group that has different perspectives. If they’re all Collingwood-raised players, they’re going to roughly to have the same opinion or the same outcome on a particular matter.”
Dal Santo said that dynamic, coupled with the mixture of ages and playing ability should help drive the club forward, although questioned if Dunn was part of the Magpies best 22.
Dunn played 17 games in his first season for Collingwood havign crossed from Melbourne at the end of 2016.
Pendlebury said that Dunn had an immediate impact.
“The moment ‘Dunny’ walked in the door you took note of his voice around the track and the locker room, and the experience he brings I think is invaluable for our young group. It’s a great reward for Dunny,” he said last week.

Dunn right now is best 22, but you don’t have to be best players to drive the right performance

From Pendles' comments and from what I've seen I get the impression Dunny brings leadership and a voice both on-field and off. He'll continue to do that whether he's playing seniors or VFL.

From Pendles' comments and from what I've seen I get the impression Dunny brings leadership and a voice both on-field and off. He'll continue to do that whether he's playing seniors or VFL.
Agree, like him before he came to us, worried about his play when can to us, should not have, the guy has been great. Thought he could been good for us up forward with Darcy

Agree, like him before he came to us, worried about his play when can to us, should not have, the guy has been great. Thought he could been good for us up forward with Darcy

Watched him live at Coburg in round 1 VFL 2017.............called for him to play forward with Darcy after that game.

His voice and experience would have been invaluable IMO especially because Darcy struggled early with no support.

Sack Bucks............hire CFC2010. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back