Top 8 hopes

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a 2007 aspect to this. I feel we are above where we probably should be on the table. Like 2007 we have been winning but not winning well and for once our draw is not bad. I hope I am wrong but if we make it to the four I cannot see us beating Richmond on the MCG or West Coast at Optus. Both Richmond and West Coast will have too many scoring alternatives up forward while we are a one man band with the occasional cameo in support.

Port's scoring alternatives:

Robbie Gray
Charlie Dixon
Jack Watts
Chad Wingard
Justin Westhoff
Steven Motlop
(Todd Marshall)

Should be able to muster considerably more than 50 points against anyone, let alone yesterday's opponents.

But instead of triggering fear and envy we're bemoaning a lack of weapons.

I can't put my finger on what the problem might be.

Did anyone watch Collingwood yesterday? They fell over at home against quality opposition. They are no better then us. Nor are the Giants. Bring them on I say rather then worrying about them.
Giants beat Richmond when they were full strength with Astbury not going down.. they'll kill us. Collingwood we might be half a chance but not if we dish up the s**t we have for the past month.

Giants beat Richmond when they were full strength with Astbury not going down.. they'll kill us. Collingwood we might be half a chance but not if we dish up the s**t we have for the past month.
In Sydney though, not in Melbourne, and they were lucky Richmond didn't kick straight, that's the facts.

A week beforehand the Giants lost to the undermanned Eagles in Perth. They're gettable, same as everyone else. If anything is learnt from this season and yesterday that's it.

I don’t like what I see but it doesn’t mean we will play like this every game coming home.

Let’s leave our potential finals demise to Dwayne alone to celebrate please
Wasn’t he putrid yesterday. I had to mute it or I was going to get into strife. He was actively barracking for Fremantle whilst constantly preaching that our finals hopes were on the line. It was as if he said it often enough it would come true. I was on the fence about Dwayne prior to yesterday’s game but now he can get stuffed.

I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water just yet.

Hold onto your tights, the next 3 weeks will tell a story.

Yep. We're not playing anywhere near our best but we know our best is good enough and we've been able to scrap together enough wins to have us well in the hunt still. It's going to be an interesting finish to the season irrespective of which way it turns.

Port's scoring alternatives:

Robbie Gray
Charlie Dixon
Jack Watts
Chad Wingard
Justin Westhoff
Steven Motlop
(Todd Marshall)

Should be able to muster considerably more than 50 points against anyone, let alone yesterday's opponents.

But instead of triggering fear and envy we're bemoaning a lack of weapons.

I can't put my finger on what the problem might be.

Our forward structure doesn't exist? Every goal has to be Joe the Goose or GTFO?

Also you forgot Sam Gray ;)

Our forward structure doesn't exist? Every goal has to be Joe the Goose or GTFO?

Also you forgot Sam Gray ;)

Having players in your forward third generally helps, but you wouldn't want to risk conceding an outnumber to Bailey Banfield, Cam Sutcliffe and Thommy Sheridan.

You can have the best defence in the competition, but when (in the space of a fortnight) you have scoreless quarters against Carlton AND Fremantle, you've got a huge problem. If we can't score against the minnows of the competition, imagine how much we'll struggle against the big boys if nothing changes.
The thing with defenses, is you can load them up with players and (if not a complete s**t side) ensure the opposition aren't going to score heavily most games. I like our defense, but I'm starting to get they are a bit overrated, because of all the help dropping back. When they can do it without sacrificing having anyone forward to kick it to when we do exit the back 50, then I'll start thinking of them as premiership level. They have the potential, but aren't there yet.

And for all the s**t he cops, not having Pittard out there yesterday probably cost us as much as no Jonas. With Bonner down on form lately, passes out of the back line happen about as often as for a dehydrated 80 year old, unless we put Motlop there (sacrificing having him play a needed role across mid / half forward, once it SHOULD have cleared the defensive 50).

Wasn’t he putrid yesterday. I had to mute it or I was going to get into strife. He was actively barracking for Fremantle whilst constantly preaching that our finals hopes were on the line. It was as if he said it often enough it would come true. I was on the fence about Dwayne prior to yesterday’s game but now he can get stuffed.

He was trying to make the toxic game meaningful by exaggerating the ramifications of the result. Pretty common by Fox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More embarrassment to come I'd say..

Further losses against the teams we are playing won't be embarrassing.

Let's not be a Dwayno and sweat on our demise. I'm looking for triumphant surprises

Ken has been saying we are not playing our best since the start of 2017. At some point you need to move beyond that.

We will finish in the 8, not top 4 and may win a final, but alas we will be making up the numbers yet again.

Since when have the results of other games had relevance to the future results of our games?

Especially this year??

Generally, it's on the day.

We beat Richmond too you know!!

Save the "but dusty was out" justification response.

A little more thought into your posts would not go a stray.

Yep. We're not playing anywhere near our best but we know our best is good enough and we've been able to scrap together enough wins to have us well in the hunt still. It's going to be an interesting finish to the season irrespective of which way it turns.
When was the last time we played our best?

Since when have the results of other games had relevance to the future results of our games?

Especially this year??

Generally, it's on the day.

We beat Richmond too you know!!

Save the "but dusty was out" justification response.

A little more thought into your posts would not go a stray.

There was more than just Dusty out that game? They we're down a rotation, key defender houli and rioli ..

There was more than just Dusty out that game? They we're down a rotation, key defender houli and rioli ..

And, accordingly, during the game, we haven't given them any chance of winning whatsoever.

When we have issues, no excuse is valid; but all of our wins come with derogatory footnotes. BigFooty in a nutshell...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back