Movie Top films of 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Films still to come I'll probably enjoy a lot: Mommy,Tom on the Farm
Worst film: Utopia (although I am sure there have been worse films, I just haven't seen them)

Way harsh on Utopia, man.

I find it odd that Xavier Dolan, who has a pretty substantial following and popularity insofar as foreign film directors go, hasn't (to the best of my knowledge) had a film be given commercial theatrical release here. It's truly frustrating, especially given Dendy and Palace seem to do their part in showing cinema of the world sometimes by just showing whichever latest B-grade romantic comedy Audrey Tautou's now starring in.

Anyway, that's my rant.

Top 10 (based on being released in 2014 in Australia):

10. Two Days One Night
9. Winter Sleep
8. Gone Girl
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
6. Interstellar
5. Like Father Like Son
4. Boyhood
3. The Wind Rises
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
1. The Wolf of Wall Street

I have only seen about 30 or so films in 2014, and only 2 of them were below 3 stars. With Utopia, I just couldn't stomach John Pilger at all. He completely ruined any honourable intent in the film for me, I found his journalistic style disgraceful. As I said, I am sure there have been worse films, but generally I don't pay to see them.

I know what you mean, Palace certainly has a type. Just by watching the pre-show trailers you can see the type of audience they are going for, the kind of Miramax-esque crowd pleasers. However, thank god for Palace, having one only 15 minutes away is so much win.

I have only seen about 30 or so films in 2014, and only 2 of them were below 3 stars. With Utopia, I just couldn't stomach John Pilger at all. He completely ruined any honourable intent in the film for me, I found his journalistic style disgraceful. As I said, I am sure there have been worse films, but generally I don't pay to see them.

I know what you mean, Palace certainly has a type. Just by watching the pre-show trailers you can see the type of audience they are going for, the kind of Miramax-esque crowd pleasers. However, thank god for Palace, having one only 15 minutes away is so much win.
The Palace still shows your quality cinema too. Films like Charlie's Country would never have gotten a run in Hoyts/Village.

Having seen much more of the top films, I need to revise my list.

1. Boyhood
2. Interstellar
3. Whiplash
4. Her
5. The Imitation Game
6. Charlie's Country
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
9. Still Life
10. Gone Girl

Nightcrawler, Two Days One Night, Love Is Strange, Locke, Life Itself and Dawn of Apes all extremely stiff.

Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game)
Best Actress: Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night)
Best Supporting Performance: J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)
Most surprisingly good film: Was expecting Boyhood to be good, was not expecting a complete masterpiece.
Most Disappointing: Monuments Men

1. Gone Girl
2. Nightcrawler
3. Foxcatcher
4. The Raid 2
5. X-Men - Days Of Future Past.

Haven't watched that much this year.

Top 5:
1/ Birdman
2/ Obvious Child
3/ Boyhood
4/ Starred Up
5/ Grand Budapest

Best Performance: Jack O'Connell

Last edited:
1. Nightcrawler
2. Interstellar
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Calvary

I know Inherent Vice will crack my top three when I see it. Maybe Birdmantoo. It's been a surprisingly better year in film than I thought it would be. The last fourteen or so months has been excellent. There's still at least another ten-fifteen movies I need to get around too.

My top 10 films

10. The One I Love

9. Jodorowsky's Dune

8. Only Lovers Left Alive

7. Edge of Tomorrow

6. The Double

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Boyhood

3. Intersellar

2. Under the Skin

1. Snowpiercer

Best Actor: Tom Hardy - Locke
Best Actress: Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Best Supporting Performance: Tilda Swinton - Snowpiercer
Most surprisingly good film: Maleficent

Last edited:
1. Gone Girl
2. Interstellar
3. Nightcrawler
4. Boyhood
5. Enemy
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel
7. 22 Jump Street
8. The Wind Rises
9. The Inbetweeners 2
10. Locke

Honorable Mentions

- Non Stop
- The Guest
- Cold In July
- Night Moves
- Blue Ruin
- Edge of Tomorrow

1. X-Men Days of Future Past - This really stood out for me. Had a great time with this movie. Was easily the best comic book movie produced in 2014 and one of the best I've ever seen if I'm honest.
2. Edge of Tomorrow - Loved it. Emily Blunt is super sexy and I'm always a fan of Tom Cruise (I know...). Great concept executed well.
3. Gone Girl - It's Fincher.
4. 22 Jump Street - I'm a massive nut for these two movies. Love the chemistry between Channing and Jonah.
5. Locke - Tom Hardy talking on a phone for 90 minutes. It is damn good.
6. Captain America TWS - Impressive.
7. Guardians of the Galaxy - Give me the sequel already.
8. Interstellar - The last third of the movie lost me but it really is a beautiful, well made movie.
9. Lego Movie - Pure fun.
10. Grand Budapest Hotel - Because I need a #10.

Best Actor: McConaughey - He raises Interstellar a great deal.
Best Actress: Rosamund Pike by a country mile.
Best Supporting Performance: Ralph Fiennes (Grand Budapest Hotel)
Most surprisingly good film: Locke
Worst/Most disappointing film: Maybe Dawn of the Apes. Disappointed me.

Ratings of some of the more notable movies I've watched. I like the sound of Whiplash but haven't got around to seeing it yet.

9/10 - Calvary - One of those rare whodunnits, or whosgonnadoits, that is so good you can watch it again. One of my all time favourites.

8.5/10 - Her - Chemistry between human/computer that is more believable than most human/human on screen relationships. Great idea and well executed.

8/10 - Grand Budapest Hotel - Very Wes Anderson, one of his best.

7.5/10 - Gone Girl - Plot holes galore but well acted for the most part and the developing media circus is interesting to watch. Very long and still felt rushed in the end.

7.5/10 - Nightcrawler - Engaging thriller, some of the dialogue and stuff that felt out of character can be cringe-worthy.

7/10 - Interstellar - McConaughey and nice visuals

6/10 - Blue Ruin - Well put together for a small film but doesn't hit any high points

6/10 - Enemy - Pretends to be more than it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a couple of big name movies to see that could sneak in (Interstellar, Imitation Game), but pretty happy with:

1. Enemy
2. Blue Ruin
3. Nightcrawler
4. Predestination
5. Boyhood
6. Gone Girl
7. The Good Lie
8. Starred Up
9. Under The Skin
10. The Mule

If you classify Her as 2014, then that goes to #1 by a mile.

I like the sound of Whiplash but haven't got around to seeing it yet.
Saw this yesterday

7/10 - Well acted with plenty of energy by the 2 leads and some great interaction between them. The music scenes are well shot. So 80% of the movie was really good.

Everyone outside of Fletcher, Andrew and the drum kit where 2D characters. Neither Fletcher or Andrew are likeable, the movie needed another character, maybe another student that we cared about.
The ending doesn't work because we don't care about the characters. We didn't need to see one prick play the drums for 10 minutes to gain the approval of another prick.

So top 5 of 2014 for me:

1.Calvary
2.Her
3.Grand Budapest
4.Gone Girl
5.Nightcrawler

You haven't seen Under the Skin. Head is full of **** that some of the most respected movie reviewers on BF are rating it in their top 5.
I've tried that movie twice but can't get past the first 20 minutes. Literally nothing happens.

I'll try it again at some point but geez it's a tough watch.

I've tried that movie twice but can't get past the first 20 minutes. Literally nothing happens.

I'll try it again at some point but geez it's a tough watch.
I wouldn't bother but others obviously feel differently. I stopped it a couple of times but pushed through to see if I was missing something (I wasn't, the movie most definitely was though). Probably watched it in 30 min blocks.

1. Whiplash
2. Edge of Tomorrow
3. Ex Machina
4. The Little Death
5. Grand Budapest Hotel
6. Gone Girl
7. Calvary
8. Nightcrawler
9. John Wick
10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Birdman, Fury, A Girl Walks Home Alone, Predestination, Tusk, '71, Interstellar, Chef, It Follows, The Imitation Game, Big Hero 6, The Babadook, Kingsman, The Maze Runner, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, What we do in the Shadows, Xmen-DOFP, Captain America: WS, The Lego Movie, Paddington, HTTYD 2, The Raid 2, Foxcatcher, Boyhood.

What an exceptional year for family/action blockbusters. Probably the best since peak cinema 90's cinema. With the exception of slice of life films (which is my least favorite genre), there is really something for everyone.

I agree, this would be one of my favourite years for films. At least in terms of having a lot of my all time favourites.
  1. A Most Violent Year
  2. Interstellar
  3. Chef
  4. Gone Girl
  5. Calvary
  6. The Hundred Foot Journey
  7. This is Where I Leave You
  8. Ex Machina
  9. Whiplash
  10. The Drop

Honourable mentions: The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Cold in July, Clouds of Sils Maria, '71, The Rover

I agree, this would be one of my favourite years for films. At least in terms of having a lot of my all time favourites.
  1. A Most Violent Year
  2. Interstellar
  3. Chef
  4. Gone Girl
  5. Calvary
  6. The Hundred Foot Journey
  7. This is Where I Leave You
  8. Ex Machina
  9. Whiplash
  10. The Drop

Honourable mentions: The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Cold in July, Clouds of Sils Maria, '71, The Rover
I’ve seen all the top ten but number 6. Whiplash was one of my top 3 along with Calvary and Interstellar.

I’ve seen all the top ten but number 6. Whiplash was one of my top 3 along with Calvary and Interstellar.
Hundred Foot Journey doesn’t do much for my street cred; it’s not high end, it’s sappy, and fairly predictable.

But I love France and I love food, so I really enjoy watching it. In fact I’ve probably seen it 4 or 5 times.

Hundred Foot Journey doesn’t do much for my street cred; it’s not high end, it’s sappy, and fairly predictable.

But I love France and I love food, so I really enjoy watching it. In fact I’ve probably seen it 4 or 5 times.
I’ve honestly had no clue what it was but sometimes those cheesy movies resonate with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back