St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
Re: Top Gear

used to be good

now fithgear is my fave

vbh_400.jpg

Vikki Butler-Henderson goes off.

I haven't seen such a good looking girl have so much fun in a car since.....

"During the late 90s she worked for BBC Top Gear, establishing herself as the foremost female road tester in the country, and joined Tiff as a founder of Fifth Gear in 2002. She was the first TV journalist to be invited to drive the Pagani Zonda Roadster, and is the only gal we know to have maxed a Chrysler Viper, Ferrari Challenge Stradale, Lamborghini Murcielago and Aston Martin Vanquish."

as Vikki would say "fwoar"

Jun 21, 2005
AFL Club
Sydney

It's a good show, but the hosts try too hard to be funny and are complete tools. They do some pretty crazy s**t to cars too - races over Europe and having to buy cars with money limits and do challenges.

TheReason

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Refried Noodle said:
It's a good show, but the hosts try too hard to be funny and are complete tools. They do some pretty crazy s**t to cars too - races over Europe and having to buy cars with money limits and do challenges.
Basic concept is good but it falls apart in the following ways:

1. They don't spend enough time on the car itself, its features etc... I couldn't give a rats if the Porsche can get around the track 10 seconds quicker than....

2. It degenerates, on occassions, to a bunch of old men reminiscing about the ideal car, about their experiences. i.e. Grumpy old men having a whine about anything.

3. Their patriotisn towards the UK is a bit sickening.

4. Other than the cars, they waste a heck of a lot of time on mindless drivel.

5. Useless tests Part 2. So I really need to know how a Chrysler performs against the Monaro on a beach FFS! Like anyone's going to drive a $60K Monaro on a beach.... yeah right!

Nov 6, 2002
End of the Earth.
AFL Club
Fremantle

TheReason said:

1. They don't spend enough time on the car itself, its features etc... I couldn't give a rats if the Porsche can get around the track 10 seconds quicker than....
They spend enough, most people get bored with too much jargon.
TheReason said:
2. It degenerates, on occassions, to a bunch of old men reminiscing about the ideal car, about their experiences. i.e. Grumpy old men having a whine about anything.

Can't see that myself. They are not that old I would have thought. Just enteriong their prime where they can appreciate an excellent piece of engineering without worrying about fuel economy or image.
TheReason said:

The way they chose the Monaro over the Jag sort of shoots that argument down.
TheReason said:
Didn't see that myself , in fact is is the first car show (in 25 years) that Mrs Ripper enjoyed.
TheReason said:
5. Useless tests Part 2. So I really need to know how a Chrysler performs against the Monaro on a beach FFS! Like anyone's going to drive a $60K Monaro on a beach.... yeah right!

Actaully it is a great test of chassis balance & weight distribution to test it on the beach and see if it performs the same as on the tarmac.

Personally, I loved it and am hanging out for next monday night.

asdqwe1

Rookie
Nov 25, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
lfc

TheReason said:

since its a british show what is the problem?

Jun 21, 2005
AFL Club
Sydney

coxon said:
its good its on free to air now...

got plenty downloaded from BT... (top gear and fifth gear)

And Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld/Apocalypse Jeremy Clarkson?

The episode just aired in Britain (11th Dec) was entirely dedicated to the new Bugatti Veyron (built by Volkswagen). I don't ever get too excited about cars but this one! sheesh:

£840,000
Two 4.0L V8's with four turbochargers to give 1000BHP!
0-100km/h in 2.5 seconds
Top speed: 405km/h
Flat out it will empty the 100L petrol tank in 12 minutes
The fastest and most expensive road car ever built.

Bugatti%20Veyron%202%20-%20800x600.jpg

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

I saw this one on Monday, first time I've seen it. Pretty entertaining show and I'm far from a car guy.

Any Alan Partridge fans agree that Alan would make a great presenter on this show? He does read Top Gear Magazine afterall..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agitator

All Australian
Sep 28, 2004
Other Teams
salisbury serial killers

this is one of my fav shows.

it's not just about cars but they make it entertaining, especially jeramy clarkson who is very droll and always puts down greenies and other assorted left wing nutters/environmentalists.

sure he's a bit of a tool but it's better than watching all that american sitcom crap churned out on the commercial networks.

Power21

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2004
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings

Anyone know who the 'Stig' is?

Great show though, how funny was that race in france or where ever they were. Chasing the bus down then overtaking them in the main street, bloody classic.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford

Power21 said:
Anyone know who the 'Stig' is?

Stig info

The original Stig [in black] was a guy called Perry McCarthy.
The current Stig [in white] is rumoured to be a British F3 driver named Ben Collins.Damon Hill has been mentioned as 'The Stig' and he has never actually denied it.

The Stig that drove the Renault F1 car a couple of weeks was actually the Renault F1 test driver.His name is Hiekki Kovalien [sp?]

If you go to the bottom of this page,you can watch how the original Stig "dies".It's very funny.

agitator

All Australian
Sep 28, 2004
Other Teams
salisbury serial killers

i had a look at that fifth gear show and it's almost exactly the same as top gear.

same style, same structure, same attempt at humor.....so which show is the original??

Sep 22, 2000
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford

agitator said:
i had a look at that fifth gear show and it's almost exactly the same as top gear.

same style, same structure, same attempt at humor.....so which show is the original??

Top Gear is the original.
Most of the presenters on Fifth Gear use to be on Top Gear.Top Gear has been running since 1978.

Sep 22, 2000
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford

Here is an excellent DVD for any Top Gear fan
Top Gear : Revved Up

It's highlights of the 3rd,4th [the ones SBS aired] and 5th seasons.
It's sensational :thumbsu:

They have ;
* An Aston Martin DB9 v Train race to France
* The Invincible Truck - They try and destroy a Toyota pickup.Very,very funny
* Apache v Lotus - An Apache chopper chasing a Lotus car around the test track
* People Carrier Racing - Richard and 5 current or former BTTC drivers [Tim Harvey,Matt Neal,Rob Huff,Tom Chiltern,Anthony Reid] do a 15 lap race in people carriers [i.e like Tarago vans].
* The Porsche Callenge - shown on SBS
* Car v Bobsleigh - shown on SBS
* and a few other bits and pieces.It goes for 100 minutes

It was a hard DVD to get hold of.My local EzyDvd and ABC Shop [it's a BBC show,so they sell it] sold out quickly.The place I found it was Dymocks bookstore.They sell SBS DVDs.

Sep 22, 2000
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford

Woo,hoo Top Gear is back this monday at 7.30pm on SBS. :thumbsu:

For those who have Foxtel,Top Gear returned to BBC World on saturday night.It's on at 7.30pm saturdays and repeated a few times over the next few days.Last saturday the guys cut the top off a people carrier and then had to build their own fold back roof.They then had to do some tests.One was taking it through a carwash.Somehow the carwash set the roof on fire and the 3 guys ran out of the car while it was in the carwash.

:D

jimmy_clement#8

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2003
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colorado, Cardiff City

monday's episode seems to be season 6, episode 1. its a good one, yet i reckon sbs will cut out the cool wall segment. top gear is a rippin show, ill be getting season 8, epi 6 as soon as i can, its been a long world cup break.

Back