Movie Top Gun: Maverick

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a while since I looked into it, but I remember there were 3 variants of the JSF: Fighter, Attack and Carrier. Not exactly sure what the carrier version entailed other than screwing a hook onto the back of it, but I'd suggest that the Super Hornet was better equiped for a mission that includes both precision bombing and dogfighting. Also, they did mention the stress of the climb basically bricked the plane so the Hornets were probably more expendable (assuming the JSF has similar G limits).
The 3 JSF versions are:
A - Conventional
B - Short Take-Off, Vertical Landing
C - Carrier

The A version is the most capable, as it doesn't have the compromises associated with carrier operations. The B version was pretty much designed for the UK, which uses smaller carriers, this version is effectively a successor to the Harrier aircraft (made famous during the Falklands War). The C version is designed for operation on large US carriers, with catapults for launching, and arrester hooks for landing.

Different aircraft perform different roles.

The equivalent of the enemy's "5th G fighter" would be the F-22, which doesn't operate off a carrier. They needed a USN aircraft to bomb the crap out of something, and the obvious aircraft to do the job are the FA-18F, or (maybe) the F-35B (carrier based version of the JSF) - neither of which are a match for the Su-57 (or equivalents).

I'm not sure why they chose to go with the FA-18F, instead of the F-35B.
USA Government may not have released the use of the F-35B for the movie or to have civillians ride in it?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

USA Government may not have released the use of the F-35B for the movie or to have civillians ride in it?

F-35 is a single-seat aircraft. FA-18F is a 2-seater, as was the F-14. I suspect this was the main reason for choosing to use the 18s in the movie.

It also would not be much of a storyline since they are based on the idea of striking while the enemy doesn't even know you're there as they are stealth aircraft. Yes, I am also aware that as a movie they could invent some fake technology that meant the F-35 could be detected but were still the best aircraft for the mission or some s**t. Fun fact - the US government has laws preventing the sale of the F-22 Raptor to foreign countries.

On reflection, probably a few plot holes in the movie and if you're a military buff I am sure you can point out numerous errors but this has definitely been the best movie I've seen in the cinema for a while - possibly since Avengers: Endgame.

I think that's right. They needed two seats for the photography.
Not so much the photography - they did that by fitting a number of GoPro style cameras in/around the cockpits. They didn't actually have any camera operators in the aircraft.

What they did need was a pilot to fly the plane, while the actor was doing their thing in the other seat.

Note that (unlike the original) all of the in-cockpit scenes were actually filmed in the air. This was the hook which made Tom Cruise agree to making the sequel.

It also would not be much of a storyline since they are based on the idea of striking while the enemy doesn't even know you're there as they are stealth aircraft. Yes, I am also aware that as a movie they could invent some fake technology that meant the F-35 could be detected but were still the best aircraft for the mission or some s**t. Fun fact - the US government has laws preventing the sale of the F-22 Raptor to foreign countries.

On reflection, probably a few plot holes in the movie and if you're a military buff I am sure you can point out numerous errors but this has definitely been the best movie I've seen in the cinema for a while - possibly since Avengers: Endgame.
Yeh, won't even sell them to us, the bastards.

A dozen F-22s, flown by a cadre of handpicked pilots and kept in shape by the 27th’s best maintainers, went to Northern Edge, a two-week joint-force wargame in Alaska. Participants included 5,000 troops in Army ground units, Marine Corps ground units, Navy Aegis cruisers and aircraft, and Air Force aircraft ranging from fighters and search and rescue helicopters to E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft.

Col. Thomas Bergeson, the 1st Operations Group commander, said it was the largest exercise for him in 20 or so years. In one Northern Edge engagement, USAF and its sister services put more than 40 fighters in the air at once, as well as E-2C Hawkeye and E-3 AWACS aircraft.

To confront the F-22-led “Blue Air” collection, the joint force mustered its best “Red Air” threat—front-line F-15s, F-16s, and Navy F/A-18 Super Hornets. The F-22’s team blitzed the opposition with a favorable 241-to-two kill ratio. What’s more, the two lost aircraft were F-15Cs, not F-22s. The Raptors came through the engagements untouched.

As good as the F35 are multirole (Let’s Talk About Those F-35 Kill Ratio Reports From Red Flag) - I think the F22s are likely still far ahead when it comes to a pure air to air fighter, and it's capabilities/upgrades are likely beyond anything that is public.

When this starts

I splice this into it

Ten years ago a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

For me it was every scene with Jennifer Connolly in it
horse jennifer GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know a lot about who has what arms, but seemed a bit weird that the Americans had inferior combat fighters compared to some rogue nation.

A country with superior military hardware than the US, where the Pentagon are looking to make severe budget cuts to their spending. I think it's safe to say this movie could be filed under the "fantasy" genre. But who cares, it's ******* cool.

“We landed, and I thought, ‘Man, I’m not feeling too good,'” Teller said. “I was really hot and I just started itching like crazy. So I got out of the jet. I’m just covered in hives. Head to toe. I go to a doctor. I do a blood analysis. I’m in an oatmeal bath that night. I have sensitive skin anyway, truth be told, Irish-Scottish skin. No dyes, no nothing.”

Turns out Teller’s blood test results showed he had “flame-*ant, pesticide, and jet fuel” in his bloodstream.

“I go to set the next day and Tom‘s like, ‘How did it go Miles? What did they find?'” Teller continued. “I was like, ‘Well, Tom, it turns out I have jet fuel in my blood.’ And without even skipping a beat Tom goes ‘Yeah, I was born with it, kid.'"

Truly the GOAT.

The equivalent of the enemy's "5th G fighter" would be the F-22, which doesn't operate off a carrier. They needed a USN aircraft to bomb the crap out of something, and the obvious aircraft to do the job are the FA-18F, or (maybe) the F-35B (carrier based version of the JSF) - neither of which are a match for the Su-57 (or equivalents).

The F-35B is a Harrier replacement used by the US Marines, its usually flown off the smaller Amphib carriers not the large ones as I don't think the decks are strengthened enough for them on the big carriers, they have the F35C's (one or two can be seen being moved in for launch at the opening of the film).

A recent TV doco indicated that the cockpit of the F35 is still classified so no photos would be able to be taken in them, so probably the reason why the went for the F18 (apart from the double seat configuration).

Which point of the movie did you or anyone in the cinema fist pump the hardest?
Can’t stop thinking about that evasive manoeuvre the gen 5 enemy fighter does

Single cockpit, all the flight scenes of actors done in air but they needed real pilots to fly the planes think just to add to the realism of those flight scenes and pilots reactions to the movements

When this starts

I splice this into it

Ten years ago a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

Billy Idol's guitarist, Steve Stevens and Harold Faltermeyer who also did the theme for Beverley Hills Cop.

I remembered Jennifer Connolly upon returning home with maverick simply opening the front door and entering.

Issue? Door wasn’t locked. Who leaves their hole unlocked?
They're on an island, probably not too uncommon in small communities. Especially one where most neighbours would be Navy personnel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back