Movie Top Gun: Maverick

Remove this Banner Ad

They're on an island, probably not too uncommon in small communities. Especially one where most neighbours would be Navy personnel.

Yeah this was imo a slightly odd query, on a naval island I doubt crime would be a factor.

They're on an island, probably not too uncommon in small communities. Especially one where most neighbours would be Navy personnel.

I think they said that about guantanamo bay naval base

i-want-the-truth-tom-cruise.gif
;)

Can Tom Cruise fly a fighter jet? All the actors underwent extensive training and although you wouldn't want them flying over the Ukraine, they did a good job. It's a good thing they didn't hire Tom Hanks for a role, he would have to pass on it. At least Cruise knows he's making a fictional movie... Hanks now is regretting his role in "Philadelpia" because he is not a gay man? Cruise had a crack at flying planes, but i'm pretty sure Cruise hasn't graduated from the Impossible Mission Force or has ever been a JAG Lawyer? What is it with these Hollywood actors? Hanks has never been a Castaway, an airline pilot nor has he ever been a United Staes Army Rangers Captain and more recently an illegal Dutch Immigrant! People can enjoy Top Gun "Maverick" and get lost in the fantasy for a couple of hours no matter how many shower scenes.

The F-35B is a Harrier replacement used by the US Marines, its usually flown off the smaller Amphib carriers not the large ones as I don't think the decks are strengthened enough for them on the big carriers, they have the F35C's (one or two can be seen being moved in for launch at the opening of the film).

A recent TV doco indicated that the cockpit of the F35 is still classified so no photos would be able to be taken in them, so probably the reason why the went for the F18 (apart from the double seat configuration).

I reckon they missed a trick by not having Hangman jump into an F35 to come and save Mav/Rooster. Don't need to show any interior or any thing other than an exterior shot of him saving the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tl;dr - Top Gun: Maverick is only the second film since COVID to pass 1 billion worldwide (Spiderman: No Way Home is the other one). It is on track to be the biggest since the pandemic started.

Given July 4th coming up in the US, it is also on track to be the fifth highest grossing movie of all time.

If you told someone in 2019 a Top Gun movie would easily outperform anything in the next three years from Disney or Pixar, MCU, Batman, and the final Jurassic Park they'd have you committed.

tl;dr - Top Gun: Maverick is only the second film since COVID to pass 1 billion worldwide (Spiderman: No Way Home is the other one). It is on track to be the biggest since the pandemic started.

Given July 4th coming up in the US, it is also on track to be the fifth highest grossing movie of all time.

If you told someone in 2019 a Top Gun movie would easily outperform anything in the next three years from Disney or Pixar, MCU, Batman, and the final Jurassic Park they'd have you committed.
I think its what the americans needed, a USA USA type movie that stirs the loins (*stands up during fight scenes and salutes). even though it wasnt the normal usa usa flick, its good enough for them.

Not normally my kind of genre flick, but went to see it on a recommendation.

Wow, it was great! Who knew you could bring back an old property and treat it (and its audience) with care and respect?
cough Jurassic World cough crap cough

Will go back and watch the original now for sure.

I know Tom Cruise does his own stunts, does he actually fly any planes in these movies?

So anyone watched it a second of third time? hows it rate on rewatchability?
I went again, and still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Opening credits didnt quite hit like the first time, I think because I was expecting it this time around.
I had re-watched the original in between viewings and noticed a couple more throwbacks I missed first time around.

I will be buying the Blu-ray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back