Top Ranks - 2016

Iskender Time

Premiership Player
May 13, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm shocked to be sitting here and feeling trepidation about the byes. I started out this season with my usual goal of beating mates in our comp and sneaking under 10k somewhere. Now I'm smashing the round after solid scores all season, hoping for an overall ranking of around 250 at close of business.

I have tried hard to trade for maximum earnings and not paying full price except for the starting team. I feel I have done a good job of jumping on and off players at the right time. Picking captains is another area I have done well in.

My research has mostly been trawling through public offerings like the guys on Dream Team Talk and yours on BigFooty. I have also watched a lot of games and followed scores through FanFooty. All this I believed has allowed me to make some educated intuitive calls on trades and captains.

If there is interest I might post my trades and what I can remember about them.

Here is my starting team, largely assembled from examining teams published by others with consideration for their reasonings. My use of The DT Talk (The Traders) teams in various stages as a template should be obvious. Love their work.

kJaeb1q.jpg

And the team scored 2533.

XK73VK6.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Iskender Time How do you go about posting a large scale image like that on bigfooty?

I swear my starting team was actually as good if not better then these but im ranked alot worse, would be interesting to have a look at someone like myself who hasnt gone aswell

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Question for those who are doing well - when you watch games, are their specific things you watch for beyond how prolific the players are? Any specific times when you watched a game and thought "yep, I need to keep/drop/trade in that player" and why, and did it pay off?

Iskender Time How do you go about posting a large scale image like that on bigfooty?

I swear my starting team was actually as good if not better then these but im ranked alot worse, would be interesting to have a look at someone like myself who hasnt gone aswell

If your starting team was "much better" then you probably need to reevaluate your trades and see where you went wrong.

Apr 18, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Question for those who are doing well - when you watch games, are their specific things you watch for beyond how prolific the players are? Any specific times when you watched a game and thought "yep, I need to keep/drop/trade in that player" and why, and did it pay off?

Role changes are the main thing, but I wouldn't trade someone out after one week of scoring poorly in a new role. Increased time on the bench and injuries/niggles are another obvious one. Fantasia being moved to FF was a big warning sign and his scores plummeted.

It's not an exact science...soak up as much information you can from all the talking heads, listen to podcasts, keep a shortlist of players you're interested in and then come up with your decisions from all that. Don't just follow Roy's trade talk...have a look at the players he recommends, research, and then see if you come to the same conclusions.

When trading in a new player look at what they did in previous seasons.
Fixture snapshot is handy from dtstats -
http://dream-stats.com/stats/player/fixture/dreamteam/639

Also - Keep notes and try and plan ahead as much as possible.

Also handy - http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/year.php?firstname=Matt&surname=Suckling&year=2016

Hover your mouse over the icons under the news column and you get a little snippet like 'running off half back', 'tagged by x' or 'copped an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter' - use this when you're looking at players from past seasons, can give some context to why they scored like they did which might influence your decision if they're tradeworthy.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
If your starting team was "much better" then you probably need to reevaluate your trades and see where you went wrong.

Never said much better, but yes thats my point. Ive gotten very unlucky with captains, injuries and wrong rookies.

I traded in Z.Merrett, Zaharakis and Adams in very early aswell.

I then played around a bit after that because i wasnt doing that well.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
A question id like to ask is when trading in a "keeper"

ie you have enough money to get both

You have McVeigh for example at 415k and H.Shaw at 600k

Do you get Mcveigh and keep the 185k or do you go for H.Shaw and end up with no money in kitty?

Iskender Time

Premiership Player
May 13, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
^^^ Keep up the good work... any chance you can add in your current side to see the contrast?

Added in the current team. Laugh at my backline and wonder how I'm doing it - the guys in my league do. Ruggles aside, it's been interesting how the cheapies have been putting out nearly as good as the bigger names often enough. I do want Boyd, Docherty, Vince down there though,

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A question id like to ask is when trading in a "keeper"

ie you have enough money to get both

You have McVeigh for example at 415k and H.Shaw at 600k

Do you get Mcveigh and keep the 185k or do you go for H.Shaw and end up with no money in kitty?

It's all about planning ahead, if I were deciding to bring in Shaw through that option I'd be looking at viable downgrade options for next week to make sure there's a safe net in place. If there were no affordable rookies making decent coins I probably wouldn't do the trade.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
It's all about planning ahead, if I were deciding to bring in Shaw through that option I'd be looking at viable downgrade options for next week to make sure there's a safe net in place. If there were no affordable rookies making decent coins I probably wouldn't do the trade.
Spot on. For instance, my next trade was to bring in Ablett for Petracca, obviously now delayed by the bye. I also needed to get another 2 available players so I had enough for the bye. The question was do I save my $200K kitty for Ablett or get the best I can now. Answer, replace the injured Hewett with Hams, only an $86K downgrade due to his good performances and get Vince for Cameron(DEF). Only leaves me with $41K but I will still be able to get Ablett next week as I will not have to trade to cover the byes and still have players who I can downgrade for the extra cash I need.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Great planning ahead i always do it but it never eventuates anymore due to the increased injuries/restings and omissions.

You can end up being caught between a rock and a hard place

Back