Top Tasmanian Draft Prospects for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

What load of horse poo. The majority get drafted out of that comp because they are that much better, we have tried the Mariners and the results are the same as now, if not worse.
2002 - 2
2003 - 2 (3 From tassie, however Thurley wa taken from the Devils)
2004 - 3
2005 - 3
2006 - 4
2007 - 1
2008 - 4

The other problem we face is that, out of those drafted, very few actually have an impact. There is a growing trend of players being drafted from the WAFL and SANFL now. The other point is NT and QLD do not have Mariner programs, so why are they getting more drafted?
Typical short sighted response I was expecting. As I pointed out the TAC Cup is now the best system for developing AFL ready players. The top end of the draft back them wasn't dominated by TAC players as much as it is now, drafting has changed significantly in the years since 2008 and unlike you the TAC system has evolved with it.

As for your "point" about more players from QLD and NT getting drafted, funny how Tassie had three players selected in the draft compared to one from QLD and none from NT :D

Typical short sighted response I was expecting. As I pointed out the TAC Cup is now the best system for developing AFL ready players. The top end of the draft back them wasn't dominated by TAC players as much as it is now, drafting has changed significantly in the years since 2008 and unlike you the TAC system has evolved with it.

As for your "point" about more players from QLD and NT getting drafted, funny how Tassie had three players selected in the draft compared to one from QLD and none from NT :D

Totally agree with your comments about the TAC system and hence why i think the Mariners should be playing in this competition. I understand the costs and difficulties involved in stepping up our involvement, but believe this is this best way to showcase our boys (with the Championship games) so they can be drafted.

If people do not think the drafting sysytem has evolved over the last 2-4 years, then i would suggest they look no further than why Garlett did not get drafted. The kid has more talent than most kids who went in this years draft. However his attitude showed he was not worth the risk to draft him (Hopefully the rookie draft will give him an opportunity).

All aspects (attitude, potential and consistency) are heavily scrutinised by AFL recruiters before any decisions are made. The ability to watch a kid play (TAC games & Chapionships) will allow a recruiter to confidently mark a kids good/bad habits and traits.

The Tassie boys may be as good, however if they are only seen over 2-5 games a season against 20 games that a Victorian boy can play, then in a tight call a recruiter will go with the "safer" option.

It is bloody tough at the best of times to be drafted. We just make it harder for our boys.

I suggest that we play at least 1 game against all TAC teams in combination with the Championships.

In 2011 I was at the Tassie versus Oakleigh game in which Tassie smashed them by some 120 points and kept them goal-less. This followed the 70 odd point smashing of a TAC team at Bellerive.

Recruiters were hanging off the rafters at Oakleigh to see what this Tassie side offered.

Sure we only has Schade & Webster that year, but no one will convince me that exposure of the Tasssie boys at TAC level over a longer period will not be beneficial.

Recruiters don't mind the fact that Tassie boys are playing against men, though. If you can have a good year in the TSL as a draft age prospect, then that will put your name in lights.

Recruiters don't mind the fact that Tassie boys are playing against men, though. If you can have a good year in the TSL as a draft age prospect, then that will put your name in lights.

I certainly agree that the TSL offers another avenue to be drafted/rookied.

However I just feel that we make it that little bit more difficult for the U/18 boys to get drafted by not having their games viewed over the entire season when they are trying to get drafted.

Surely the AFL could fund the Tassie boys playing at least 1 game against all TAC teams (preferably in Melbourne).

I look at it this way- if it costs the AFL clubs a minimun of $250,000 over 2 years to have a player on their list (this figure is base salary & resources) then surely the cost of travel/accommodation of travelling to Melbourne is negligible if we can get another 1-2 boys drafted.

Factor in the opportunity cost of getting the wrong pick in the draft and this extra costs is very low. Also it would be fair to say on a head per capita basis Tasmanian compares poorly to the "emerging states".

We need to be pro-active in a tough climate and demand AFL give our boys a better deal!

I think a stronger TSL would equate to stronger draft candidates. We really need to get the TSL back to a sufficient level of competitiveness, with good coaching in place, so that the players that develop through the league have good people around them to improve their skills and provide better role models at training and in the game. It really needs to be broadcasted, supported, and properly funded and managed for that to happen though.

Having said all that, we had five draftees already this year, and two first rounders. It is positive. If we can continue that level of production, we will be punching above our weight again at AFL level within five years or so.

I certainly agree that the TSL offers another avenue to be drafted/rookied.

However I just feel that we make it that little bit more difficult for the U/18 boys to get drafted by not having their games viewed over the entire season when they are trying to get drafted.

Surely the AFL could fund the Tassie boys playing at least 1 game against all TAC teams (preferably in Melbourne).

I look at it this way- if it costs the AFL clubs a minimun of $250,000 over 2 years to have a player on their list (this figure is base salary & resources) then surely the cost of travel/accommodation of travelling to Melbourne is negligible if we can get another 1-2 boys drafted.

Factor in the opportunity cost of getting the wrong pick in the draft and this extra costs is very low. Also it would be fair to say on a head per capita basis Tasmanian compares poorly to the "emerging states".

We need to be pro-active in a tough climate and demand AFL give our boys a better deal!

who are these emerging states? QLD had one kid drafted in the ND & Northern Territory none. It was stated in a earlierpost that TAS had 5 drafted which included 2 first rounders. Hardly say we "compare poorly".

who are these emerging states? QLD had one kid drafted in the ND & Northern Territory none. It was stated in a earlierpost that TAS had 5 drafted which included 2 first rounders. Hardly say we "compare poorly".

I am assuming that break up is Lonergan, Thurlow & Siggins plus the 2 basketball boys put on Collingwood and Adelaides lists. Being a cynic I can't seriously call them Tassie recruits and count them in our total. I obviously wish them the best, but it is seriously a long bow to state that AFL Tasmania contributed in any way for them being drafted.

My comment about the "emerging states" related more to their funding and resources than their successes in the number of boys drafted or not drafted.

My point is that as a Aussie rules state, it is feasible to get more kids drafted if we have more resources at the junior and U16/18 Mariners level. I just feel that we are often treated as the poor second cousin in the overall scheme.

It would be interesting to know the budgets of individual TAC sides. Also unlike AFL Tas who cultivate statewide for prospective talent, the TAC sides have their areas which are also worked at by club level, school level, AFL clubs and AFL Victoria.

I am assuming that break up is Lonergan, Thurlow & Siggins plus the 2 basketball boys put on Collingwood and Adelaides lists.

Correct. They are Tassie recruits, but they weren't mentioned to augment an argument for the TSL's ability to produce draft prospects. They were mentioned with respect to our total draft numbers, which were quite satisfactory for a state our size. If we can continue with the output of the last few years, which has been 3-5 recruits a year, that would be reasonable in replenishing our total numbers of Tasmanians in the AFL. Even though we have had 8 delisted this year.

I am assuming that break up is Lonergan, Thurlow & Siggins plus the 2 basketball boys put on Collingwood and Adelaides lists. Being a cynic I can't seriously call them Tassie recruits and count them in our total. I obviously wish them the best, but it is seriously a long bow to state that AFL Tasmania contributed in any way for them being drafted.

My comment about the "emerging states" related more to their funding and resources than their successes in the number of boys drafted or not drafted.

My point is that as a Aussie rules state, it is feasible to get more kids drafted if we have more resources at the junior and U16/18 Mariners level. I just feel that we are often treated as the poor second cousin in the overall scheme.

It would be interesting to know the budgets of individual TAC sides. Also unlike AFL Tas who cultivate statewide for prospective talent, the TAC sides have their areas which are also worked at by club level, school level, AFL clubs and AFL Victoria.

Maybe we would do better if the club system itself was better funded. Employing better coaches to coach senior clubs & junior coaches under a stronger State league structure. Putting huge resources into u18s misses the point that the kids develop better the earlier they are coached. Like with any education. Good teachers are vital in the early years at school, just as good parenting from day one teaches the kids better behavioral habits.
Getting our own AFL club would cement a really good structure for the whole state. Otherwise we will just see our footy drift around & kids development doing the same.

Maybe we would do better if the club system itself was better funded. Employing better coaches to coach senior clubs & junior coaches under a stronger State league structure. Putting huge resources into u18s misses the point that the kids develop better the earlier they are coached. Like with any education. Good teachers are vital in the early years at school, just as good parenting from day one teaches the kids better behavioral habits.
Getting our own AFL club would cement a really good structure for the whole state. Otherwise we will just see our footy drift around & kids development doing the same.

There is nothing wrong with the coach's in place at the moment. And i think that is a real kick in the ass to them to say that getting better coach's will get more players drafted. The majority of coach's are part time and give up an enormous amount of time to do the best job they possibly can, as well as trying to hold down a full time job. If these guys were full time coach's, and i'm not saying they should be (Thats another debate) i think you will find they are more than capable of coaching and developing players at statewide level. Full time obviously opens up a lot more doors and gives access to more opportunities to learn and develop themselves.

There is nothing wrong with the coach's in place at the moment. And i think that is a real kick in the arse to them to say that getting better coach's will get more players drafted. The majority of coach's are part time and give up an enormous amount of time to do the best job they possibly can, as well as trying to hold down a full time job. If these guys were full time coach's, and i'm not saying they should be (Thats another debate) i think you will find they are more than capable of coaching and developing players at statewide level. Full time obviously opens up a lot more doors and gives access to more opportunities to learn and develop themselves.

I aint knocking anyone or any clubs efforts. I just made the point that the earlier that all footy lads are exposed to the best of coaches & good facilities, then the better chance they have to develop to their best ability.
Leaving it until the u18 level just wont work, its too late by then.
Getting better funding to employ good full time TSL coaches who can also teach junior coaches, then the better for the young lads & footy in general. IMO
The best structure for our footy would include our own AFL club wich would feed good coaches & professional habits down the line, & give a lot better chances for drafting & rookie positions.
Right now we are doing an awful lot with very little for everyone elses benefit but our own, here in this state.

Tac Cup has always been the best system, as Victoria is the number one state for AFL. We had a side in that comp, and the results were no better than what they are now. So why not bolster up the comp we have here instead of someone elses. Just so you can compare with what QLD achieved by playing their kids in there best comp through the same time period.
2002 - 1
2003 - 2
2004 - 5
2005 - 5
2006 - 11
2007 - 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uncle Sam goes to Richmond as a rookie and Jesse Crichton got rookied at Freo. I haven't seen the full list yet because the AFL trade tracker isn't working for me, but I think they are the only Tassie boys to go during the PSD/Rookie draft.

I am still unsure about Crichton, but very happy to see both he and Lonergan get a second crack.

A bit disappointed that guys like Van den Berg and Woolley missed out, but all in all it has been a fantastic draft period for Tassie. The best in some time. Looking forward to see how they all go next year, and to reviewing next year's crop. :thumbsu:

Tasmanian movements
Jesse Crichton - Re Drafted to Fremantle
Sam Lonergan - Rookie Drafted to Richmond
Jack Osborne - to Adelaide
Ben Richmond - to Collingwood

Tasmanian movements
Jesse Crichton - Re Drafted to Fremantle
Sam Lonergan - Rookie Drafted to Richmond
Jack Osborne - to Adelaide
Ben Richmond - to Collingwood

Yep, that's it. Shame that no untried talent, aside from the basketballers that we learned about a couple of months ago, weren't given a chance. Also would have been nice of Sam Iles got picked. He can definitely play. Shermo may be a chance next year if he puts in a good year in the VFL.

Cheers, DTB. Will be sure to follow those threads.

I just gave the OP one last update to reflect the end of the draft period. It has been suggested that the upcoming 2013 Tasmanian Draft Prospects Thread be moved to the Draft and Trading Board, where it is more likely to be seen and participated in. I think that is a good idea, so this will be the first and last Tassie Prospects thread from me on the TSL board. Once I've got the 2013 thread up and running, I'll put a link to it in here so you guys can see that it is up :thumbsu:

Looking forward to what looks to be another bumper year for Tassie prospects in 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back