Tazwegian

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tasmanians in the AFL
Well, the draft period is over and it proved to be a fantastic draft for Tasmania. Two first rounders is an incredible result. As predicted it was high quality rather than high quantity for Tasmanian juniors being drafted into the AFL system this year. We also had two Level Two Tasmanian rookies taken in the rookie draft, bringing a total of five new Tasmanian players into the AFL.

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread and look forward to creating the 2013 Tassie prospects thread in the not too distant future :thumbsu:

The 2012 Draftees

National Draft:

Pick #13 (Gold Coast) - Jesse Lonergan: An inside midfielder who has been training with the AIS squad. Plays for Launceston in the TSL. Was named in the top 30 for the 2011 Tassie medal which is awarded to the best and fairest in the league. In an outstanding year, he also won the Corporate Express rising star award, joining fellow past winners such as Grant Birchall, Mitch Robinson, and Ryan Harwood.
Jesse recovered from an early season injury to take part in the NAB under 18s carnival. He played two games, averaging 16 disposals and five tackles per game to be among our best players in both games. He was also one of the standouts of the 2012 AFL combine, scoring elite results in goal kicking (equal first), agility (2nd), vertical leap (2nd), running leap (3rd), and repeat sprints (7th), and showing great burst speed with a 3.01 in the 20m sprint, which puts him just outside the top 10.

Player comparison: Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
Predicted draft range: 14-26

Pick #16 (Geelong) - Jackson Thurlow: Can play forward or back and looks to be very quick, good decision maker, can take a strong mark and boasts an elite kick. Has featured amongst the best for Launceston so far this year where he has already played over twenty games for in the TSL. Thurlow had a blistering under 18s carnival, averaging over 24 possessions per game, including one 45 possession game against Vic Metro in a heavy defeat. Was Tasmania's best player at the carnival, and arguably the best division two player, which was recognised by his All Australian selection . Thurlow was also awarded the Davidson medal as the most valuable player in the under 18 team, joining fellow winners and AFL players Josh Green, Grant Birchall, and Ryan Harwood.

Unfortunately, a sling tackle that resulted in a serious facial injury and a broken thumb at the end of the year may impede his chances of AFL selection. However, Thurlow did attend the AFL combine and is still a strong chance to be drafted based on his good form throughout the year.

Player Comparison: Corey Enright (Geelong)
Predicted draft range: 24-48

Pick #62 (Adelaide) - Sam Siggins: Siggins is a tall defender with good skills by hand and foot and elite endurance. At just 18 years of age, he already has a solid frame. He stands at 196cm and weighs 88 kilos, giving him a 2cm height and an 8 kilo weight advantage over fellow Tasmanian, and first round draftee from 2011, Henry Schade at the same age. He reads the play well and is excellent overhead and in one on one situations. Can play forward or back, but looks more likely as a spoiling and contested marking KPD. He is one of the better pure KPDs from this year's crop, and should be drafted within the first two rounds on talent. Siggins had a very strong year in the TSL, playing on more experienced and mature bodies and more than matching them for strength and ability.

Player Comparison: Ben Reid (Collingwood)
Predicted Draft range: 40-80

Level 2 Rookies:

Jack Osborn: A massive unit at 205cm, Osborn reportedly has excellent agility and vertical leap. Cites his strengths as his ability to run well for a big man, and at 22 years old, Osborn already has the physique to be physically competitive at the AFL level. Adelaide are said to be keen to develop him into either a ruckmen or key position defender, which demonstrates his athleticism as there are very few defenders capable of competing endurance wise at his height. Could potentially be a very interesting prospect going forward.

Ben Richmond: Another promising Tasmanian basketballer who was recruited this time by Collingwood from the AIS basketball academy as a class 2 rookie, Richmond is a wiry 195cm athlete with a large vertical leap, good top speed, excellent awareness, and elite endurance.
Richmond's basketballing background means that he has not played aussie rules since he was a schoolboy, therefore his future role is still unknown. However, his combination of speed, endurance, leap, and awareness means he could play anywhere from a midfield role to a key position forward or defender.

The guys who missed out:

Jaye Bowden: At 23, Bowden is a mature age player who confirmed his status as the premier player in the TSL this year by blitzing the Tassie Medal. In an outstanding season, Bowden kicked 48 goals, including a haul of 8 in one game, and was named in Glenorchy's best in every single game he played. A classy onballer who can go forward and kick goals, Bowden has attracted interest from a number of clubs and subsequently attended the Victorian state screening. Bowden is widely tipped to find himself on an AFL list for the 2013 season.

Player Comparison: Dane Swan (Collingwood)
Draft range: Rookie

Mitch Van den Berg: A crafty forward with excellent endurance, solid overhead, and a keen sense for goal. Mitch's effort at the under 18s carnival for Tasmania, where he was one of Tasmania's better players, and his outstanding effort in the 2012 TSL season saw him earn an invite to the national combine. Mitch has slipped under the radar of most draft watchers, but his top ten finishes in the beep test (2nd overall) and the 3km time trial at the combine has turned a few heads. But what has recruiters very interested is Mitch's form in the TSL, where he kicked 17 goals from 11 games, earned two best on ground performances, and was named on the interchange in the team of the year. Question marks over his speed, agility and foot skills may be the only thing that stop Mitch from being recruited in 2012.

Player Comparison:
Draft Range: 60 - rookie

Toby Nankervis: A ruckmen with a massive frame at 199cm and 100kgs at only 18, Toby Nankervis was invited to the draft on the back of a solid champs and good TSL form, having consistently featured in North Launceston's best throughout the year. Still very raw, but has excellent hands both in the air and on the ground, kicks well for a big man, and competes nicely around the ground. Can go forward and kick a goal on occasion, but there will be some question marks over his endurance and agility.

Player Comparison: Tom Bellchambers (Essendon)
Draft Range: 50 - Rookie

Brady Jones: One of the stories of this year's draft, Brady Jones could be the first person this millennium to play both aussie rules and cricket at the highest level possible in the nation. A very handy wicketkeeper, Jones lost his cricket Tasmania contract at a time when Tasmania were brimming with wicketkeepers. This allowed Jones to concentrate on his football, and he rapidly got his body to a standard where he could not only compete at state level, but be one of the better performers in the league. Jones plays as an inside midfielder who competes hard for the contested ball. He was judged best on ground for the map in the TSL vs VFL game, and finished inside the top ten for the TSL's best and fairest, the Tassie Medal.

Player Comparison: James Kelly (Geelong)

Thought I'd start this thread early so that people could contribute during the TSL season with who they believe are going to be our top draft prospects for the 2012 AFL draft. It gives us a chance to see who is in form and how their season progresses leading up to the draft and preseason draft at the end of the year.

As players get mentioned, I will update this post with a small write up on the player for ease of reference.

So, who do you see as Tasmania's top draft prospects for 2012 and why?
Based on your earlier posts you are talking it up again. Do you work for AFL-Tas?

Based on your earlier posts you are talking it up again. Do you work for AFL-Tas?

It was really disappointing last year that only 3 Tassie boys were drafted.

Schade (24-ND) & Webster (42-ND) from the Mariners. While Hall (4 PSD) was picked up from the TSL.

The biggest concern is that while the talent is in Tasmania, all footballers (Mariners & TSL) are not seen enough on a regular basis for the recruiters to take a "punt".

A classic was John McKenzie who could not even get a rookie spot after being captain of Mariners and an All Australian selection. He is almost another Ian Callinan!!!

I am not sure if things will change in 2012!

I haven't talked anything up? I am a fan of Tasmanian football and have just started a thread for fellow fans to contribute with who they think could be drafted this year based on TSL performances.

The biggest concern is that while the talent is in Tasmania, all footballers (Mariners & TSL) are not seen enough on a regular basis for the recruiters to take a "punt".

A classic was John McKenzie who could not even get a rookie spot after being captain of Mariners and an All Australian selection. He is almost another Ian Callinan!!!

True. Although to be fair, the Tassie lads aside from Webster and Schade didn't test very well at the draft camp.

I am a little more optimistic about the TSL's ability to attract attention. We have seen Howe and Hall make very impressive starts to their AFL careers as mature aged recruits. That would have to make smart recruiters to take a bit more notice of the TSL.

Anyway, I am going to throw out the obvious name straight up. Jesse Lonergan. An inside midfielder who has been training with the AIS squad. Plays for Launceston in the TSL. I would say he is Tassie's best draft hope at this stage. Be very interesting to see how he goes through the year.

True. Although to be fair, the Tassie lads aside from Webster and Schade didn't test very well at the draft camp.

I am a little more optimistic about the TSL's ability to attract attention. We have seen Howe and Hall make very impressive starts to their AFL careers as mature aged recruits. That would have to make smart recruiters to take a bit more notice of the TSL.

Anyway, I am going to throw out the obvious name straight up. Jesse Lonergan. An inside midfielder who has been training with the AIS squad. Plays for Launceston in the TSL. I would say he is Tassie's best draft hope at this stage. Be very interesting to see how he goes through the year.

Good call on Jesse Lonergan being the number 1 possibilty out of Tasmania to be drafted.

The talk is that he is a good chance of being drafted in the first round in the 2012 draft. He is pretty silky with his skills and has good decision making which is evident the way he plays the game.

Apparently there is interest in Josh Grant from Glenorchy. He has the physical attributes at around 197cm and a is the "shape" for a modern footballer.

Agree with lonergan, reckon he would be a definite deing in the 2012 Ais (anyone know if there was an Ais 2011 players that missed out?), not sure on josh grant yet hopefully his football will develop he has the attributes but hasnt shown much at senior level so far.
The other good chance is Jackson thurlow from launceston not sure how he has developed in the off season but as a light 70 odd kilo 6 2 ish, he had a great debut season and finals series. Quick, good decsion maker,strong mark and elite kick- has to be in consideration especially if he has filled out and grown?.
Also Toby nankervis ex georgetown has had a good introduction, good grab and big boy, not sure if he is athletic enough but hopefully being in the mariner system wil see him develoo.

Agree with lonergan, reckon he would be a definite deing in the 2012 Ais (anyone know if there was an Ais 2011 players that missed out?), not sure on josh grant yet hopefully his football will develop he has the attributes but hasnt shown much at senior level so far.
The other good chance is Jackson thurlow from launceston not sure how he has developed in the off season but as a light 70 odd kilo 6 2 ish, he had a great debut season and finals series. Quick, good decsion maker,strong mark and elite kick- has to be in consideration especially if he has filled out and grown?.
Also Toby nankervis ex georgetown has had a good introduction, good grab and big boy, not sure if he is athletic enough but hopefully being in the mariner system wil see him develoo.
Yep Nankervis making waves ,athletic for his size but a very handy cricketer as well playing at Georgetown ,Tas Under 17 last yaer as well as the Tasmanian Aboriginal team that tours to Alice Springs every Feb to contest the Imparja Cup.Way too early for this forum as bugger all footy played yet

Way too early for this forum as bugger all footy played yet

Yeah, but the point of the thread is that hopefully it will build up over the year as the season progresses. I want this thread to still be running come end of the season. There is no pressure to try and identify the every possible prospect from round 3. Feel free to come back to it as the season goes on and you identify more youngsters who look like good prospects.

I will start updating the OP with some of the suggested players soon.

I'd think Bryce Walsh from Lauderdale would be a chance, he's been impressive so far this season. Also Jesse Lonergan is another obvious choice.

Yep Nankervis making waves ,athletic for his size but a very handy cricketer as well playing at Georgetown ,Tas Under 17 last yaer as well as the Tasmanian Aboriginal team that tours to Alice Springs every Feb to contest the Imparja Cup.Way too early for this forum as bugger all footy played yet

I saw Nankervis play for the Mariners against NHFC at twin ovals a couple of weeks ago and was immediately impressed by his size.

Apparently he has been a late addition to the Mariner's campaign.

However he was impressive the way he moved, maked the ball and generally went about following team structures.

A player of his size will certainly attract attention on a national level if he puts in a few decent performances.

All the best big fellow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know how old Eli Templeton is? I don't think he is quite old enough for this year's draft, but he is looking like a very good prospect also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know how old Eli Templeton is? I don't think he is quite old enough for this year's draft, but he is looking like a very good prospect also.

19/08/1995 - so he'd be not eligible until next year

Calen Jeffery is a guy who hasn't been mentioned yet. He has been Tasmania's BOG or close to in Tassie's games so far, including the warm up fixtures. Anybody got some more info on him?

Calen Jeffery is a guy who hasn't been mentioned yet. He has been Tasmania's BOG or close to in Tassie's games so far, including the warm up fixtures. Anybody got some more info on him?
watched him play for Hobart over last couple of years, finds the ball blindfolded, has put on quite a bit of size and is hard at it, not sure if he is good enough at any one thing to get drafted but apparently is a favourite of Lance Spaulding at Nth and Hobart before that, will get interviewed I suspect, athletic ability may let him down, definately not footy ability, good player that is for sure

Heard that Sydney have spoken to with him a few times, before the state game.

That's great news. Would be great to see him get a gig at AFL level. I thought he was really good with the Tigers, just unlucky that we have such quality keeping stock at the moment.

watched him play for Hobart over last couple of years, finds the ball blindfolded, has put on quite a bit of size and is hard at it, not sure if he is good enough at any one thing to get drafted but apparently is a favourite of Lance Spaulding at Nth and Hobart before that, will get interviewed I suspect, athletic ability may let him down, definately not footy ability, good player that is for sure

I hope he can work on whatever deficiencies he has as an athlete. It was a shame to see John Mckenzie not getting drafted despite his obvious footballing credentials. Hope Jeffery doesn't end up in the same boat.

Thanks for the info, I will use it to write a small bit on him in the OP.

I hope he can work on whatever deficiencies he has as an athlete. It was a shame to see John Mckenzie not getting drafted despite his obvious footballing credentials. Hope Jeffery doesn't end up in the same boat.

Thanks for the info, I will use it to write a small bit on him in the OP.
He is more athletic than McKenzie, that young fella's problem wasn't anything to do with himself, it is a bit light wingnut, he had too many players who could do what he did but were slightly taller. It is a cuthroat game getting drafted and even harder getting a game once over there, look at Burbury, yet to get a game with the cats, he finds the footy like Jeffrey, can jump over 100 in the running vertical leap and is up there in agility, speed and endurance yet still no cigar. Sometimes it is in the hands of the gods.

Its hard to tell from here, but I keep reading good things about Musicka. In the little I saw of the state game on iView he looked pretty good. He might be a year too old normally, but with the expanded and distorted drafts, could he be a chance?
Who was the last player drafted from South Lonny? Has there been anyone since Brad Pearce?
The reality is thjough that only somewhere from 0 to 3 players will get drafted out of Tasmania most years until both the TSL standard and the aged system are improved.

I
The reality is thjough that only somewhere from 0 to 3 players will get drafted out of Tasmania most years until both the TSL standard and the aged system are improved.

We have been doing a bit better than that. If you count Darley, Weller, and Russell - which you should, we had four last year Schade, Hall, Darley, and Webster. We had Green, Weller, Russell, Philips, Howe, Gilbee, and Burbury from 2010. That is not including Ian Callinan and Tim Mohr, who were recruited in those years, but not out of Tassie. We should expect at least four players a year. If our state league was stronger, and if we had an AFL team of our own, I suspect we would have about twice that.

Tassie produces good sports people. Look at our rowing, cycling, cricket, and hockey players, for instance. Our aussie rules boys aren't getting all the opportunities to develop that the Vic kids get. It is a shame, because when we are included in national comps, we usually do pretty well. Tassie Tigers are a great example of what being included in the national comp can do for Tasmania. Five Tasmanians playing for Australia in the one year is incredible for a state our size. I see no reason why we wouldn't have the same impact in Aussie rules if we had our own team down here, helping our juniors develop. I hate Andrew Demetriou. He killed us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back