Top Ten Bands with Female Lead Singers

Remove this Banner Ad

The only bands with female lead singers that I seem to have CDs from are Garbage, The Cranberries, Evanescence, Magic Dirt, george, No Doubt, The Fugees and Little Birdy which surprises me that I don't have more.

I'd rate george as the best of these, and probably quite highly when compared with other female lead bands.

Related to the best female artists thread. Here is my top ten, my personal opinion only so no flaming.;)

1. Blondie
2. Abba
3. Fleetwood Mac
4. Eurythmics
5. The Pretenders
6. Divinyls
7. Eurogliders
8. Roxette
9. Bananarama
10. Little Birdy

Unlucky: The Bangles, Jefferson Airplane, The Superjesus

basement jaxx and what about transvision vamp ;)

1. Blondie
2. Curve
3. Siouxsie & the Banshees
4. The Clouds
5. The Falling Joys
6. Within Temptation
7. Lacuna Coil
8. Jefferson Airplane
9. Concrete Blonde
10. The Breeders

Apologises to The Eurogliders, The Divinyls, Little Birdy, The Teddy Bears, Berlin, Baby Animals, Bananarama, The Bangles, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Howling Bells (Waikiki), Veruca Salt, Tristania, The Gathering, Theatre of Tragedy, Stella One Eleven, Skulker, Saint Etienne, Supremes, Def FX, Republica, The Pretenders, Nightwish, Magic Dirt, Lush, Hummingbirds, Halogen, Garbage, Sonic Youth, Eurythmics, Fleetwood Mac, Desden Dolls, Do Re Mi, The Go Go's and Heart. I just couldn't fit you in.:)

The Slits were the first ever all female band in around 76/77.

So some homage needs to be paid to them.

The Bodysnatchers in around 1979 on the 2-Tone label would also have been another one of the first all female bands around.

And when the Bodysnatchers broke up half of that group formed another one of the early all girl bands in the Belle Stars.

I'd rate george as the best of these, and probably quite highly when compared with other female lead bands.

I can't adequately describe my hate for george.

Basement Jaxx had some good stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Slits were the first ever all female band in around 76/77.

So some homage needs to be paid to them.

The Stiletto's was first all-girl rock group I know of, formed in 1973 with Deborah Harry on vocals. Later when Chris Stein joined they renamed themselves Angel and the Snake before becomming Blondie. But the Stiletto's never released anything, while the Slits released a few singles before Budgie joined them and they released their first album. Great Band tho.

1. Juliana Hatfield Three
2. Blake Babies
3. Throwing Muses
4. Garbage
5. Blondie
6. The Hummingbirds
7. Mazzy Star
8. Concrete Blonde
9. The Pretenders (Pre 1984)
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Lita Ford....can play guitar also... kind to the eye...and can ROCK as HARD with the best of them.

never heard of her??? god help ya.

Some more modern ones...

Veruca Salt
PJ Harvey
Distillers
Skunk Anansie (can't believe they haven't been mentioned yet)
No Doubt (pre-Stefani's defection to make disposable pap)
Garbage
Oh, and I'm not sure, but Placebo would probably qualify too

Some more modern ones...

Veruca Salt
PJ Harvey
Distillers
Skunk Anansie (can't believe they haven't been mentioned yet)
No Doubt (pre-Stefani's defection to make disposable pap)
Garbage
Oh, and I'm not sure, but Placebo would probably qualify too

Only have heard Secretly and I Can Dream by Skunk Anansie but they are a couple of top tunes. Any other tracks/albums I should check out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back