1. Parasite
2. Ad Astra
3. The King
4. The Lighthouse
5. Beach Bum
6. John Wick 3
7. Ford v Ferrari
8. Knives out

Having a hard time filling out the last two. Not many other movies that I've watched are worthy to make the list..

I'd seriously struggle to to do a decent top 10 for 2019. To be fair I haven't watched a lot of new release movies this year and half of them have been mainstream releases with the kids, I tend to find my favourites later on when I'm looking for a late night movie, but still really feel like I saw more quality TV than I did cinema this year.

I'm probably missing a couple but.... Avengers: Endgame, Alita: Battle Angel, How to Train Your Dragon: Hidden World, Captain Marvel, Shazam!, Godzilla: King of Monsters, Spider-man: Far from Home, Once upon a time in Hollywood, Ad Astra, Downton Abbey, Abominable, Judy, The Irishman, Dolemite is my Name, The King.

Alita was one of the better CGI overloads, Once upon a time in Hollywood and The Irishman were both good but I think my favourite is still Dolemite is my Name and I'd still only rate that a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

Woodstock: Three days that defined a Generation gets a special nod in the documentary category. It didn't seem like a topic that needed another documentary but there's lots of great footage and interviews that made it really interesting.

Last edited:
Parasite
Ford Vs Ferrari
Midsommar
John Wick 3
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
American Factory
Marriage Story

Thats all i could claim although i do like a lot of films but not none are awesome.

Special mention to Climax, I have never seen a film that went from awesome to unwatchable like this one. First half 8/10, 2nd half zero

Doctor Sleep was awesome.

Just adding more movies.

The nightingale
Us

Top 5 for me:
Apollo 11
Parasite
Once upon a time
Joker

Of those I saw...

1. Parasite
2. Joker
3. Jojo Rabbit (actually was this early 2020? haha)
4. Us
5. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
6. Knives Out
7. Marriage Story
8. 1917
9. Ford vs. Ferrari
10. Toy Story 4

If number 3 doesn't count then I'd probably slide in Star Wars; I'm not a huge fan of the series but I had a fun time watching it. Certainly more fun than the live action Lion King was, yeesh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've only seen about 15, and The Nightingale is the clear standout of those (followed by The King). I agree that the new Woodstock documentary managed to justify itself well enough despite the seemingly satisfied doc heritage and would be my next best.

But hard to get a feel for it without having seen at least twice that amount. e.g. I've seen 120 films from 2014.

As suggested here, I've gone back to the "top films of the year" threads from the past 5 years, and will bump them one at a time.

It'd be interesting to see how people's lists look now, whether it be through seeing additional films released that year, or a re-assessment of films over time.

1Parasite (기생충)
2Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3Jojo Rabbit
4Knives Out
5The Farewell
6Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Portrait de la jeune fille en feu)
7La Belle Époque
8Queen & Slim
10First Cow

I've only seen about 15, and The Nightingale is the clear standout of those (followed by The King). I agree that the new Woodstock documentary managed to justify itself well enough despite the seemingly satisfied doc heritage and would be my next best.

But hard to get a feel for it without having seen at least twice that amount. e.g. I've seen 120 films from 2014.

1. Ad Astra
2. The Nightingale
3. Judy & Punch
4. The King
5. Love, Antosha
6. Marriage Story
7. In Fabric
8. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
9. Captain Marvel
10. Woodstock

11. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
12. Where'd You Go, Bernadette?
13. Leaving Neverland
14. El Camino: a Breaking Bad Movie
15. The Irishman
16. Acute Misfortune
17. Rocketman
18. Richard Jewell
19. Parasite
20. Sword of Trust

21. 1917
22. The Edge of Democracy
23. Midsommar
24. Better Days
25. The Lighthouse
26. Corpus Christi
27. Luce
28. The Laundromat
29. Joker
30. American Woman

31. School's Out
32. Panama
33. Under the Cover of Cloud
34. High Flying Bird
35. The Farewell
36. Bait
37. Her Smell
38. Who You Think I Am
39. The Professor and the Madman
40. Poms

41. Killing Patient Zero
42. David Bowie: Finding Fame
43. The Australian Dream
44. The Final Quarter
45. The Show Must Go On
46. I Want My MTV
47. How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World
48. Glass
49. Non-Fiction
50. The Good Girls
(into the high 3/5s here)

Some good miniseries: The Hunting, Watchmen, The Loudest Voice

Prefer 2017-18

As suggested here, I've gone back to the "top films of the year" threads from the past 5 years, and will bump them one at a time.

It'd be interesting to see how people's lists look now, whether it be through seeing additional films released that year, or a re-assessment of films over time.

1Parasite (기생충)
2Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3Jojo Rabbit
4Knives Out
5The Farewell
6Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Portrait de la jeune fille en feu)
7La Belle Époque
8Queen & Slim
10First Cow

I would recommend Bacurau. It's set in a remote Brazilian village. There's a funeral for an old grandma. A dodgy local politician drops by trying to drum up votes for the forthcoming election. There's a few interesting characters. I was just chilling and enjoying the fairly mundane goings on - then all sorts of weird and wonderful hell breaks loose! It's unpredictable and entertaining.

Not a particularly original list-

1. Parasite
2. 1917
3. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
4. American Factory
5. Little Monsters
6. Marriage Story
7. El Camino
8. Dolemite Is My Name
9. The Irishman
10. The King

1-3 are 9/10+
4-6 are 8/10+
7-10 are 7/10+

Didn't enjoy The Lighthouse and fell asleep during Knives Out and didn't finish (my fault).

Edit- missed Wavves which would be 6th and the Platform which would be 9th.

Uncut Gems, Triple Frontier, Murder Mystery misses out.

Last edited:
Solid year. Finalising my 2022 list, and whipping this one up in 10 minutes easily eclipsed it.

Thread needs more Midsommar though.

Midsommar
Parasite
OUATIH
Little Women
Ready or Not
Uncut Gems
Sound of Metal
Richard Jewell
Saint Maud

Honourable mentions: Knives Out, Velvet Buzzsaw, The Lighthouse, Booksmart.

Still on my watchlist: Ford vs Ferrari, Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

The Gentlemen was on my 2020 list so didn't include it here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back