Top Ten Lions Players Since the Premiership Years

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How would you rank the best players to have played at our club since the glory years of 2001-2003. Minimum 100 games and can't have played in a premiership. My attempt:

Dane Zorko
Steph Martin
Daniel Rich
Tom Rockliff
Dan Merrett
Joel Patfull
Jed Adcock
Pearce Hanley
Jack Redden
Jared Brennan

Interestingly it starts to get pretty slim pickings towards the end of that list. Gardiner, Sherman, McStay, Taylor, Lester, Stiller, Luenberger, Bewick and Mayes are about the only others that qualify. I Guess that is testament to the lean period we have had since those glory years. Very very few players have played over 100 games.

It won't be long though until a whole host of the current crop break into that list mind you. For example Andrews is on 97 games.

1. Dayne Zorko
2. Joel Patfull
3. Stefan Martin
4. Jed Adcock
5. Daniel Rich
6. Tom Rockliff
7. Daniel Merrett
8. Jack Redden
9. Pearce Hanley
10. Darcy Gardiner

How would you rank the best players to have played at our club since the glory years of 2001-2003. Minimum 100 games and can't have played in a premiership.

Only 19 players to choose from; here's my 10:

1. Daniel Rich
2. Dayne Zorko
3. Joel Patfull
4. Jarred Brennan
5. Jed Adcock
6. Pearce Hanley
7. Ryan Lester
8. Justin Sherman
9. Jack Redden
10. Daniel Merrett

Bit of derailment, but I'd have loved to have gotten Drummond into that list. Geez he was good to watch when he was up.

Possibly my all time sub-100 game player.
There’s an idea for the next thread; the sub 100 games, followed by the sub 50 and even sub 25...there’s a lot of really good players in each category. The sub 25 still has players that had potential and for whatever reason didn’t go beyond that i.e. injuries, lack of opportunities, inability to apply themselves etc.

Only 19 players to choose from; here's my 10:

1. Daniel Rich
2. Dayne Zorko
3. Joel Patfull
4. Jarred Brennan
5. Jed Adcock
6. Pearce Hanley
7. Ryan Lester
8. Justin Sherman
9. Jack Redden
10. Daniel Merrett

No Rockliff Dylan? Regardless of the way he (allegedly) behaved off the field he basically carried us on the field for a few years. All Australian 2014 and dual b & f winner.

Notice you and others have Patfull very highly. Its tricky when rating guys across a variety of positions. I personally feel the second/ third tall types are not as important as your midfielders, key forwards or backs. As a result history rarely remembers them. Having said that he was super reliable. Just kept turning up and almost never made a mistake.

Michael Rischitelli qualifies and should be in the top ten over guys like Sherman and Brennan imo. He is a BNF winner after all.

Not sure how I missed him when I opened this thread. But I'm not sure he bumps anyone out. Looking at my bottom two, Brennan was genuinely exciting to watch and while Rischa may shade Redden at the lions, Redden has gone on to play in a premiership.

I'm bored so I made a team out of those who qualify

Patfull Merrett Adcock
Rich. Gardiner. Hanley
Sherman Rockliff Bewick
Zorko. McStay. Mayes
Brennan Luenberger Taylor

Martin Rischatelli Redden

Stiller Lester

Not a bad team. Very strong backline. Plenty of possessions in the middle, if a bit one paced. Would need to run Zorko, Sherman and Taylor through there to add a bit of zip. Had to put Luey out of the goal square as there is nobody else really. Although don't count on any contested grabs.

Big Sauce Merrett a bit underrated in these lists in my opinion.

A bit sad what happened to Hanley with his injuries, a Pearce Hanley off half back at full flight right now would slot straight into our current side perfectly.

Notice you and others have Patfull very highly. Its tricky when rating guys across a variety of positions. I personally feel the second/ third tall types are not as important as your midfielders, key forwards or backs. As a result history rarely remembers them. Having said that he was super reliable. Just kept turning up and almost never made a mistake.
I'd argue that Patfull wasn't a second/third tall type. Patfull could genuinely defend pretty much any player. He usually didn't have to because Merrett didn't have as wide a range, but from memory when Merrett missed games Patfull went up a weight grade without losing much or any effectiveness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back