Aboriginal & TSI Top Victorian indigenous football players not to make AFL/VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

showtime1090

Senior List
May 4, 2008
W/Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've created a Facebook page called Top Victorian indigenous football players not to make AFL/VFL and there has been some great conversations on there over the past week, with a lot of people posting some of their best memories of players from the past as well as some great personal insight to some players that didn't take that next step, for whatever reason. The link is below for anyone to have a look at:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/277823248958001/

I've posted it on Bigfooty because I wanted to open up the conversation and see what other great stories people could share. There is also a Top Nunga Footballers page for any SA readers that has been a little slower getting started but still some good stuff on there too.

So, I ask that anyone interested go have a look for yourself and if you have a story or name that your want to share or find more out get talking on there or on here.

Havent been too many indigenous footballers out of Vic to play at the top level - give us a few of the lesser known names.

I can't really think of many Vic aboriginals that could have made it but didn't. Only one off the top of my head that was good enough was Brett Goodes although he has had a fair career in the VFL.

Shifty obviously didn't realise;

Chris Johnson
Phil Egan
Maddog Muir
Nathan Lovett Murray
Andrew Lovett
Jason Mifsud
Doug Nicholls
Les Bamblett
Lionel Proctor
Alan Thorpe

are all from Victoria as well ;)

Afew of the more recent ones: Nathan Lovett-Murray(ESS), Andrew Walker(CARL), Chris Egan(COLL), Djaran Whyman(KANG), Daniel Hayes(MEL), Jarrod Harbrow(WB/GC), Jarrod Atkinson(ESS), Ed Curnow(CARL), Allen Christensen(GEE), Andrew Lovett(ESS) plus a few others..
And as for older ones: Adam Goodes(300 gms), Chris Johnson(264), Phil Egan(126), Les Bamblett(48), Wally Lovett(28) Lionel Proctor(20), Alan Thorpe(15)
So thats quite a few, there is a common mis-conception in the football world that all the good indigenous players come from WA or the top end, but this isn't exactly the case, as you would notice..

I've started this thread to not only celebrate the homegrown(for me) talent that made the AFL, but also mention the ones that didn't take that next next, for whatever reason..).
The Facebook page has been a great success and the conversation that is happening there has been awesome to watch, I'd hope the see the same sort of thing here, and maybe hear about a few small-town heroes or local football legends that didn't make the big time. Anyone who know about the Fitzroy Stars history in Melbourne, or Rumbalara in Shepparton, or even old teams like the Purnim Bears from near Warrnambool would know quite a few.
And if you don't, or havent heard of these teams I suggest you look them up!

Your right it does, just thought some background into the ones that have made it was needed..
Back on topic, anybody heard of these names:
Mick, Kutcha, Dave and Reg Edwards
Gavin Cooper
Reg Thorpe
Ian Barry
Dixon Patten
Patty Farrant
Troy Austin
Tim Chafield
Paul Briggs
Gary Murray
Jim Berg
???
Mostly played in Melbourne, but there's plenty more...

Your right it does, just thought some background into the ones that have made it was needed..
Back on topic, anybody heard of these names:
Mick, Kutcha, Dave and Reg Edwards
Gavin Cooper
Reg Thorpe
Ian Barry
Dixon Patten
Patty Farrant
Troy Austin
Tim Chafield
Paul Briggs
Gary Murray
Jim Berg
???
Mostly played in Melbourne, but there's plenty more...

Ian Barry was at StKilda for a while. Caught up with David Wirrpanda last week, and he reckons Roddy Briggs (Rumbalara) was the best of his whole family, himself included. That includes Sean Charles, Chris Egan, Jarrod Atkinson and many other great footballers. Have also heard Gavin Wanganeen sing his praises massively. He is right too imo. Roddy Briggs was a jet. 6ft2, had a big strong body, amazing disposal(kicked 60 with both feet) and had wheels for a big strong tall fella. Think Joel Corey but quicker and kicked more goals. Did a preseason with essendon in 92 or 93 but got injured one night and that was it sadly. But for those that played with him and gainst him (Lucky enough to be in that category) he was a champion and should have played AFL.

your spelling is worse. Hird has been quoted as saying L-M is the best user by foot in his side an an automatic selection when fit. He offers height but can play smaller, plays with a lot of aggression and gives flexibility. Dumb comment from a Bombers fan.

Hey mate, could you show me these quotes?

Not that I'm saying NLM is useless. just that I'd be surprised if Hird thinks he's our best user by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey mate, could you show me these quotes?

Not that I'm saying NLM is useless. just that I'd be surprised if Hird thinks he's our best user by foot.

yeah, ill try to find them. It was a couple of years ago, but I heard him say it and remember thinking at the time that that was a surprising comment. I actually asked NML about the comment and he smiled and said he didnt agree but was flattered.

Afew of the more recent ones: Nathan Lovett-Murray(ESS), Andrew Walker(CARL), Chris Egan(COLL), Djaran Whyman(KANG), Daniel Hayes(MEL), Jarrod Harbrow(WB/GC), Jarrod Atkinson(ESS), Ed Curnow(CARL), Allen Christensen(GEE), Andrew Lovett(ESS) plus a few others..
And as for older ones: Adam Goodes(300 gms), Chris Johnson(264), Phil Egan(126), Les Bamblett(48), Wally Lovett(28) Lionel Proctor(20), Alan Thorpe(15)
So thats quite a few, there is a common mis-conception in the football world that all the good indigenous players come from WA or the top end, but this isn't exactly the case, as you would notice..

I've started this thread to not only celebrate the homegrown(for me) talent that made the AFL, but also mention the ones that didn't take that next next, for whatever reason..).
The Facebook page has been a great success and the conversation that is happening there has been awesome to watch, I'd hope the see the same sort of thing here, and maybe hear about a few small-town heroes or local football legends that didn't make the big time. Anyone who know about the Fitzroy Stars history in Melbourne, or Rumbalara in Shepparton, or even old teams like the Purnim Bears from near Warrnambool would know quite a few.
And if you don't, or havent heard of these teams I suggest you look them up!

Clutching a bit with Christensen, all his formative years were in the NT.

Know the thread is about Vic indigenous players ... but there is no contest about the best Indigenous player never to play VFL. His name is Stephen Michael. Played with Maurice and was an even more complete footballer.

You'd have to look at clubs like Rumbalara and Fitzroy Stars to find some of the untapped Victorian Indigenous talent.

We talk about those who did make it, and not enough is talked about 2 of the early pioneers in this regard, Pastor Sir Douglas Nicholls (Fitzroy in the 1930's) and Norm McDonald (Essendon post -WWII). Compared to the modern day talents, these guys broke the mould and forged the path that others followed.

Playing footy in the Ballarat area in the 70's and 80's, I always felt that was one of the great wasted nataural talents not to the most of make his of his chances and make his at VFL level, was Eric Clarke.

He only played the 1980 season at the Saints, for 6 senior games ... a very small return for a prodigious junior talent.

Why he didnt make it, I am not sure. Maybe he couldn't adjust to living in the city.

Does anyway else remember him and perhaps could shed some light on why he never played more games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back