Roast Topping up on senior players was the wrong move

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The three years before that were even worse.

touhy, rohan, dalhaus, ablett, dangerfield, z.smith, henderson, s.selwood.
What I really don’t like about it is that history has shown that if you draft well with a couple of great older players, you can jag one in an even year (2008, 2016, 2012)

Only took at least 6 years for the club to realise , however don’t be surprised if they hold it off for another year

We’d look like stubborn, obstinate fools if we go again. There is a snowflakes chance in hell we will challenge meaningfully for the flag next year with the midfield in the shape it’s in. I get going after a few players but we’ve left our mids hanging out to dry. It’s been neglected. We need an injection or 2-3 good kids now to replace Selwood, Danger, Smith and Duncan over the next 3 years.

We’d look like stubborn, obstinate fools if we go again. There is a snowflakes chance in hell we will challenge meaningfully for the flag next year with the midfield in the shape it’s in. I get going after a few players but we’ve left our mids hanging out to dry. It’s been neglected. We need an injection or 2-3 good kids now to replace Selwood, Danger, Smith and Duncan over the next 3 years.
Preaching to the choir I’m just saying it’s taken this long for the outrage to be heard I won’t be too shocked if they hold off for one more try next year

The calls to rebuild are now deafening. I’d be shocked if we now traded for any mature players for a few years now.

I'm not sure we really have any other options do we?
Smith's essentially walked into the same scenario he was faced with at Hawthorn. And a driving force behind Cameron's move (apart from family), was to play in a team who will be competing for a few more years yet.
Our CEO in Craig Drummond would certainly be advocating for another run at a premiership which can only mean one thing . . . . more top ups and go again in 2022.

Smith's essentially walked into the same scenario he was faced with at Hawthorn. And a driving force behind Cameron's move (apart from family), was to play in a team who will be competing for a few more years yet.
Our CEO in Craig Drummond would certainly be advocating for another run at a premiership which can only mean one thing . . . . more top ups and go again in 2022.
Why would he? The good thing about being a new appointment is you get clean air.

The three years before that were even worse.

touhy, rohan, dalhaus, ablett, dangerfield, z.smith, henderson, s.selwood.

3 years doesn’t add up to October 2015 seeds

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Direction can change. Cameron’s best chance to play in a flag with us to hope we are able to have a quick replenishment. If Wells nails the next couple of drafts we could potentially contend again in a few years but everything would have to go right.

Smith strikes me as the sort that wouldn’t care too much if his last year wasn’t a flag winning one. He’s realistic and pragmatic enough to know that s**t happens in footy.

How do we feel about the club's approach as we head into another precarious off season.
The last two years have been full on in regards to topping up. Steven, Jenkins, Higgins, Smith and Cameron.

Does the club choose to go again and top up during the 2021 draft or do we finally look to the future and start building?

Of course we go again… too many good players on our list. We didn’t get to the top 4 two years running by accident. Sick to death of the doomsday preppers… we are at the pointy end. Whilst we are there go again… it’ll take a tweak here and there in our game plan that is a given. Scotty can do it. He’s not an idiot he’s got a great footy brain. Might be pig headed, might have placed too much faith in a few too many that didn’t deliver when the crunch came. So don’t write him off and don’t write the team off fellas. We just need a few (2-3)blokes taking next step from VFL to AFL with a positive effect and a few C graders turning into b/b-minus graders/players. A few B graders to turn into A/A-graders. Who they are u might say… take a guess, take your pick. Krueger, Stevens & Stephens will play. SDK? Add an improved Holmes Simpson Miers Close… will Narkle finally step up?? Will Sav have that great leap in output and performance?? But I am not writing us off in 2022. Well that’s my rant. Cheers. Keep the faith boys.

I think it's a bit harsh to talk about complete failure when we have been premiership favorites at different points in most seasons recently including being 20+ points up in a grand final.

We missed our big change in 2020 and we've had things go wrong in 2019 and 2021.

It's pretty rare teams win finals with their best players either injured or underdone yet in 2021 we were without Stewart, a couple of important structural players in Parfitt and O'Connor and Duncan and Tuohy were clearly underdone. In 2019 we were without both Duncan and Hawkins in the prelim.

Once we recruited Dangerfield the idea of rebuilding was nonsense. You don't let Hawkins, Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan, etc see out their prime years with an uncompetitive team.

I actually think the criticism is targeted at the wrong thing. Yeah some of our older recruits have been good and some have been bad but that's to be expected.

The real problem is that our gun players haven't stood up to anything like the standard needed. Dangerfield is the clearest example. We've played 10 finals in the list 3 years. How many of his finals have even been passable let alone good? Selwood and Hawkins have been slightly better but both have had really poor games and only Hawkins this year against GWS has been a great performance.

Stewart was poor in 2019 and in the 2020 QF, great for the last 3 finals in 2020 then injured this year. Cameron whether through injury or form was poor this year. Duncan was great in 2020 but injured in both 2019 and 2021. Guthrie has been ok at best, similar to Selwood.

For all the criticism of the older, cheap trade ins they were never expected to come in and carry the team. It's a bit harsh to point the finger at role players when our supposed guns so often haven't fired a shot. I think the biggest problem isn't that we picked up older role players, it's that we put all our eggs in the Dangerfield, Hawkins, Selwood, Duncan, Stewart, Cameron, etc basket and overall either through injury or poor performance they've been finals failures.

Of course we go again… too many good players on our list. We didn’t get to the top 4 two years running by accident. Sick to death of the doomsday preppers… we are at the pointy end. Whilst we are there go again… it’ll take a tweak here and there in our game plan that is a given. Scotty can do it. He’s not an idiot he’s got a great footy brain. Might be pig headed, might have placed too much faith in a few too many that didn’t deliver when the crunch came. So don’t write him off and don’t write the team off fellas. We just need a few (2-3)blokes taking next step from VFL to AFL with a positive effect and a few C graders turning into b/b-minus graders/players. A few B graders to turn into A/A-graders. Who they are u might say… take a guess, take your pick. Krueger, Stevens & Stephens will play. SDK? Add an improved Holmes Simpson Miers Close… will Narkle finally step up?? Will Sav have that great leap in output and performance?? But I am not writing us off in 2022. Well that’s my rant. Cheers. Keep the faith boys.

Unless the season is shortened and quarters also limited, we are no chance of winning the premiership. The second half of the season proves this. Old, declining legs with very little brilliance coming through other than Jack Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the criticism of the older, cheap trade ins they were never expected to come in and carry the team. It's a bit harsh to point the finger at role players when our supposed guns so often haven't fired a shot. I think the biggest problem isn't that we picked up older role players, it's that we put all our eggs in the Dangerfield, Hawkins, Selwood, Duncan, Stewart, Cameron, etc basket and overall either through injury or poor performance they've been finals failures.

That's very true. It's true to my mind that a lot of those mature players brought in haven't worked, and it's fair to point that out. But the second part doesn't get spoken about enough, and it's amazing how frequently the "our bottom 6 let us down / aren't good enough" line is trotted out, when as you rightly point out, the big names fail in finals just as much.

Just this finals series, Cameron was abysmal in two of them and definitely took some short steps against Melbourne. But he's the latest big recruit so it will be barely mentioned. Dangerfield's finals in recent years - as well as his diving when things aren't going his way - are only now starting to be analysed more soberly by Geelong fans.

The whole Dad's Army idea was hellbent on winning a flag and it didn't work.. Assistant coaches are leaving as player development didn't pan out either. Wells went on a mid-year sabbatical and Brian Cook jumped ship to bail out the enemy! The club needs change, but this will be an almighty effort to stave off that big fall from the cliff..
1631937111404.png

We might still trade in a player or two, but no any so-called stars. Good players with upside can improve your team: how many expected Saints reject Hind to star at Essendon? I'd look at PA player Farrell, who is an elite left-foot kick, something we could well use, if he measures up. Wouldn't cost much.

Otherwise we should go to the draft:Id' be very surprised if Wells isn''t working hard to improve our draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back