Roast Topping up on senior players was the wrong move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ablett did not come back for the money, he accepted a massive pay cut. He came back for his family, did you not hear about the death of his sister? Are you so cynical and callous that you think that had no impact? Of course getting to play finals and possibly playing in a premiership would be a bonus but it was not the prime motive.

I don't think he is worn out, his performances this year have shown that, he is well worth the trade and the money we pay him.

Bravo!

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
All great
but we decided to reach for Lang, Thurlow, Brown, Smedts
and then throw out Varcoe for nix
and then trade Caddy for minimal return

Our issue is our own, we went in too many drafts arrogant early
how we dont have a huge amount of $$$ is ridiculous, half our team are juniors

collingwood have regrouped but have mongrel, we have no mongrel

True. But Collingwood missed the finals for four years before they regrouped.

didnt want to play forward so he went to richmond to play forward lol

i 100% wanted to keep him at the time but i'd rather parfitt and narkle now
Can honestly say I have never rated him as highly as I perhaps should, and the fact he WANTED out, eventually, I felt no remorse. He seems like the ultimate opportunist, and he will now likely be a btb premiership player- good luck to him.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
All great
but we decided to reach for Lang, Thurlow, Brown, Smedts
and then throw out Varcoe for nix and then trade Caddy for minimal return
Our issue is our own, we went in too many drafts arrogant early
how we dont have a huge amount of $$$ is ridiculous, half our team are juniors
collingwood have regrouped but have mongrel, we have no mongrel
We beat them this year, no mongrel beats mongrel then.

No matter what you do if you don't win a premiership you made the wrong moves.

The teams who have turned things around recently (Bulldogs, Richmond, Collingwood) all did it via a massive culture overhaul. Richmond & Collingwood topped up with senior players and even the Bulldogs blew picks on Boyd. I don't think our entire organisation is strong enough to initiate a culture change - our coach and his senior player clique and all our former players now coaches are well and truly ingrained and something that is a significant change requires them to admit they are wrong, and under their leadership they made mistakes.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
seriously

do i have to put up with immature posters
just because we beat collingwood
who was been smashed by injuries, does not mean we are superior to them
just like we beat melb twice throughout the year, yet they smashed us when it matters

if you fail to see that our list needs mongrel, then great, good luck to you
but drawing conclusions from one or two games is immature

but thanks for your posts,

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
Better to attack the person than answer the factual quote which contradicted your claim, eh!!
no, i have answered you, but i find analysis on areas of improvement being pivotal
rather than looking at results throughout the year, and failing to address holes in our list

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
just because we beat collingwood
who was been smashed by injuries, does not mean we are superior to them
just like we beat melb twice throughout the year, yet they smashed us when it matters

if you fail to see that our list needs mongrel, then great, good luck to you
but drawing conclusions from one or two games is immature

but thanks for your posts,
Claiming that Collingwood has 'mongrel' while we do not is either irrelevant or incorrect by the fact that we beat them the only time we played them. Our injuries throughout the year were far greater than the Pies.

The discussion is either supported by facts or unsupported, in your case it is unsupported. 'Mongrel' when applied to a list without supported evidence is essentially vague, we could certainly do with a Jack Viney...or two. So could Collingwood. The cheap claim of "immature" is meaningless when applied to the discussion and is an attempt to attack the character rather than the content.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
no, i have answered you, but i find analysis on areas of improvement being pivotal
rather than looking at results throughout the year, and failing to address holes in our list
Yes you answered me after I pointed out that you failed to answer and resorted to a personal cheap shot. I did raise results through the year including our victory over Collingwood which you ignored while claiming they had 'mongrel' while we do not. You also claimed that basing an analysis on a few games is insufficient thereby wanting to have it both ways.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
Claiming that Collingwood has 'mongrel' while we do not is either irrelevant or incorrect by the fact that we beat them the only time we played them. Our injuries throughout the year were far greater than the Pies.

The discussion is either supported by facts or unsupported, in your case it is unsupported. 'Mongrel' when applied to a list without supported evidence is essentially vague, we could certainly do with a Jack Viney...or two. So could Collingwood. The cheap claim of "immature" is meaningless when applied to the discussion and is an attempt to attack the character rather than the content.
Name one genuine mongrel player who started in our last final
Then explain why it was left to Ablett to fly the flag when our captain was copping some treatment
Our injuries throughout the year were nowhere near the pies in terms of severity

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes you answered me after I pointed out that you failed to answer and resorted to a personal cheap shot. I did raise results through the year including our victory over Collingwood which you ignored while claiming they had 'mongrel' while we do not. You also claimed that basing an analysis on a few games is insufficient thereby wanting to have it both ways.
No, but alas.

Q. Do you believe we have more mongrel than the pies?

Tackle_happy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2011
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Geelong
. Hawthorn amazingly went from horrid to finals performers all due to the draft??? Reckon Mitchell and O'Meara ect had a bit to do with that.

You mean last year to this year?

Not sure you could call them performers as yet ... out in straight sets has them looking like us right now.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Name one genuine mongrel player who started in our last final
Then explain why it was left to Ablett to fly the flag when our captain was copping some treatment
Our injuries throughout the year were nowhere near the pies in terms of severity
"mongrel" is an intangible description and really cannot be quantified, in the end it is left to opinion. Some people might think it is willing to be a bit dirty if necessary, Mooney and Milburn had that type of mongrel. Some people might think it is being super aggressive, some people might think it is willing to take cheap shots. I think we have a big problem with team ethos including standing up for your teammates, supporting and encouraging your teammates. We used to have that and most teams have elements of that, Richmond have it in barrels we have it in cups.

2007-2011 occasionally other sides would claim we were soft and they'd get dirty, when a hit took place our players would remonstrate and shove and push as much as any...but usually they would get angry and play harder and utterly destroy the opposition. Other sides got to learn not to get dirty with Geelong you will awake the beast.

I think Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins and Tom Stewart have "mongrel" (from what I think it means), but collectively there is a problem and I think Paddy really needs to assert himself sometimes, as a senior player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back