Status
Not open for further replies.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
In 12months time he will be out of contract and we wont be able to trade him. He'll be free to do as he wishes. He'll only need us to ensure he gets to the club of choice.
Being out of contract does not free him to do as he wishes, that only applies to free agency players with 7 years behind them. He is still a listed player and if he refuses to sign a new contract he could be held on the clubs list till after the trade period which would put him out of contention for the 2020 season. To put it another way, we can still trade him at the end of next season.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Being out of contract does not free him to do as he wishes, that only applies to free agency players with 7 years behind them. He is still a listed player and if he refuses to sign a new contract he could be held on the clubs list till after the trade period which would put him out of contention for the 2020 season. To put it another way, we can still trade him at the end of next season.

There isn't much difference between what you are saying and what I indicated in response to another.

the key point would seem to be whether your point has currency is the following:
"Players who are not in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for unrestricted free agency."

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
There isn't much difference between what you are saying and what I indicated in response to another.

the key point would seem to be whether your point has currency is the following:
"Players who are not in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for unrestricted free agency."
Disingenuous posting man, the rest of the line reads "if they have served at least eight years with the club." And "Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent."

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
You do know Brown Thurlow and Smedts were all ranked by many pundits between 15-25 in their respective years??

They weren't. You just have to look through many of the rankings/mocks from those years. Many didn't rate Thurlow at all, and those that did only had him around the 30-40+ range.

Brown was rated by some as a mid-to-late second rounder at best.

They weren't. You just have to look through many of the rankings/mocks from those years. Many didn't rate Thurlow at all, and those that did only had him around the 30-40+ range.

Quayle who is the most spot on draft whisperer had Thurlow to us at 16 the night before with Essendon keen in the 20s.

Smedts was predicted to go to GC as they had several picks before we took him at 15.

Brown had a more wide variant on his range as he was a late bloomer but Hawthorn were keen with the pick after ours (they took Shoenmakers instead).

The real question with those guys and other first rounders who failed due to injuries is was that bad luck or substandard injury management? They weren't awful talent choices.

Quayle who is the most spot on draft whisperer had Thurlow to us at 16 the night before with Essendon keen in the 20s.

Smedts was predicted to go to GC as they had several picks before we took him at 15.

Brown had a more wide variant on his range as he was a late bloomer but Hawthorn were keen with the pick after ours (they took Shoenmakers instead).

The real question with those guys and other first rounders who failed due to injuries is was that bad luck or substandard injury management? They weren't awful talent choices.

dont let facts like that get in the way of a good rant PO... :D

Go Catters

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed

Is quayle the one that said we "aced" the 2011 draft?

Err no Emma, we did not

Gee Class Loco

Premium Platinum
Oct 14, 2012
Sleepy Hollow
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham DEN Broncos BOS Celtics

Having a vested interest in everything Tassie. I pay attention to every draft for Tassie boys.
Shifter, being the best rater of u18 kids IMO... rated 3 Tasmanians that year in Lonergan, Thurlow and Toby Nankervis.
On more than one occasion he had Lonergan & Thurlow as late first, early second picks & Toby a late fourth.
So Shifter got 2 out of 3 right.

As for Brown, yes as you have admitted he was rated a mid 2nd rounder thats pick 24 in my book.

Cheers & GO CATTERS!

There is absolutely no way you could know that, and the outcries on here are irrelevant.
Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton, to name 3. Heavily relied on Draft to rebuild. Melbourne played finals in 2018 for first time in, what, 12 years. Carlton and St Kilda.......

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton, to name 3. Heavily relied on Draft to rebuild. Melbourne played finals in 2018 for first time in, what, 12 years. Carlton and St Kilda.......

I love how you finish that post with just Carlton and St Kilda. It's so funny how their pitiful uselessness just speaks for itself!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

If all you do is recruit players and forget player development sure. I’ll give you three more:

Geelong, Bulldogs, Richmond. Heavily relied on draft to rebuild.

Jan 8, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong reserves,Falcons,
If all you do is recruit players and forget player development sure. I’ll give you three more:

The thing that annoys me in our approach of going after ready made players we go after players 26+, How is it that Hawks get O'Meara and Mitchell where you get 8 or so years out of players as well they are still full of more improvement.

Mc intosh,Rivers,Henderson,Ablett, careers on decline and injuries become a factor.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

That deosnt mean they were rated highly by others. It just means quayle had heard we were going to trade them. Its not her estimate of where they should go.

So good to admit its based on nothing then. Most people try to fake rationalisations to justify their feelings. At least you have the balls to admit your mistake.
Actually there is something in the vibe. if you look at the likes of Carlton, Melbourne, St Kilda, Brisbane. Plenty of high draft picks and yet to reap the rewards. It takes so long for kids to mature and develop, and there is no guarantee (think Boyd, Weitering, Schache).

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually there is something in the vibe. if you look at the likes of Carlton, Melbourne, St Kilda, Brisbane. Plenty of high draft picks and yet to reap the rewards. It takes so long for kids to mature and develop, and there is no guarantee (think Boyd, Weitering, Schache).

So what's the guarantee to topping up then? I've been watching our last few finals series waiting for our all conquering juggernaut to run over the opposition but it doesn't seem to happen.

So what's the guarantee to topping up then? I've been watching our last few finals series waiting for our all conquering juggernaut to run over the opposition but it doesn't seem to happen.
If we’d not topped up with ready made players you wouldn’t have been watching Geelong play finals in recent years. I’m not saying playing finals and losing is good; I just made the point that relying on the draft is a long road

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

Also traded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back