Roast Topping up on senior players was the wrong move

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
44 years, 62 years and 37 years. That’s how long each of the aforementioned teams took

Really? You think Richmond's drafting policy started in late 1980 do you? You don't think that just maybe different administrations actually made some cockups along the way and each new group had to start from scratch?

Remember what Thompson told the board in 1999 - "it will take 5-7 years before we're ready to contend for a premiership" (paraphrasing - I can't remember the exact wording). It ended up taking him 8 years. Hardwick had to follow the double act of Frawley then Wallace. It also took him 8 years. That's not quite the same as 44 or 37 by my calculations, unless you think they were both involved as small children. Impressive if that's the case.

Really? You think Richmond's drafting policy started in late 1980 do you? You don't think that just maybe different administrations actually made some cockups along the way and each new group had to start from scratch?

Remember what Thompson told the board in 1999 - "it will take 5-7 years before we're ready to contend for a premiership" (paraphrasing - I can't remember the exact wording). It ended up taking him 8 years. Hardwick had to follow the double act of Frawley then Wallace. It also took him 8 years. That's not quite the same as 44 or 37 by my calculations, unless you think they were both involved as small children. Impressive if that's the case.
Miller will go down as the worst recruiter in the history of the game. This is a bloke who took ‘pancakes’ Tambling ahead of Buddy. LOLOLOLOL. His f*** ups are many and legendary. Best thing Richmond ever did was show him the door.

No it didn’t. It took him 5 before we lost by a kick and a half to one of history’s greatest teams in a prelim.

People need to get past this idea that only a grand final appearance equals ‘being in contention.’

I mean seriously, I just read a post on the first page of this thread saying that ‘after 2013 was when we should have started the clean out.’ After losing a preliminary final, on the last kick of the game, THATS the point at which you say ‘well obviously we are nowhere near it, better f*** everyone off and start all over again.’?

No it didn’t. It took him 5 before we lost by a kick and a half to one of history’s greatest teams in a prelim.

People need to get past this idea that only a grand final appearance equals ‘being in contention.’

I mean seriously, I just read a post on the first page of this thread saying that ‘after 2013 was when we should have started the clean out.’ After losing a preliminary final, on the last kick of the game, THATS the point at which you say ‘well obviously we are nowhere near it, better f*** everyone off and start all over again.’?

Brace yourself...

That's still only one post. I'd be curious to know how many think a clean out should have started after 2013. My guess is very few.

Not Afl but watching the Nba last night I can't see Lebron/Lakers getting past the first round of the playoffs.
It's a shooters game now and they don't have the quality around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who will be in favour of us picking up BJ Goddard? A year as a player, then steps into a coaching role.
tenor.gif

If we’d not topped up with ready made players you wouldn’t have been watching Geelong play finals in recent years. I’m not saying playing finals and losing is good; I just made the point that relying on the draft is a long road

That's the other side of the coin you just do not know that why this argument is so varied in responses. No best way to do it, it's the mix of youth and free agents seems to be the way now.

All the premier sides seem to just rebound in 2-5 years west coast have yo-yoed for the last decade bottom 4 to GF to premiers.

Hawthorn, Sydney, geelong, Richmond, WB all these sides were built by majority through the draft.

It's all about the core your leaching off fortunately for these clubs they have had stars that make replacing peices around it easier.

Problem is they get old and you can only replace so many because of salary cap, assets through free agency draft. So you end up with top heavy squads and no depth. Whilst using a lot of assets it thins your talent pool underneath and to be honest we just haven't been competitive in the prelims or finals in general.

So you scrape out everything left in the veterans bring in 26-30 year olds it continually shortens your timeline with little assets.

I prefer to build properly around good assets I think the melbourne examples are too extreme and carlton just because our senior cores were so much better than those clubs. Completely different scenarios in my eyes not good examples.

But that's how these arguments work I suppose from what I have seen recently though most of the work is done at the draft still. Then list can build around

That's still only one post. I'd be curious to know how many think a clean out should have started after 2013. My guess is very few.

Interestingly enough I watched a bit of ‘11 prelim of a west coast side that had kennedy, nicnat, hurn, darling maybe lacras etc that lost. Funnily enough they didn’t clean that team out after the loss or the one to the Dogs or the gf to the hawks. And now they’re premiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dajesmac ...

Re - Looking at you vid you have done a prett good job and its stands up nearly 9 moths later ..but as you were probably less familiar with some of our young guys..players like Miers and Constable , and then adding Atkins and Clark in draft ..along with Rohan and Dahl .. all additions have worked better than anyone could have hoped... (so far)
and there is still rumours about more amture players this year so.. I cant see we changing our tactical approach any time soon..

dajesmac ...

Re - Looking at you vid you have done a prett good job and its stands up nearly 9 moths later ..but as you were probably less familiar with some of our young guys..players like Miers and Constable , and then adding Atkins and Clark in draft ..along with Rohan and Dahl .. all additions have worked better than anyone could have hoped... (so far)
and there is still rumours about more amture players this year so.. I cant see we changing our tactical approach any time soon..

Thanks man. I was pretty big on Miers pre-draft although wouldn't have guessed how good he'd be at AFL level already. The Cats have done a great job optimising their existing talent and strengthening that bottom six. The rejuvenation of their forward line has always been really important.

I don't think you can just say it's been the players added in. It's the way Scott has each player playing to their strengths. He is coaching brilliantly at the moment

But he's useless at developing players, picks up hacks like Rohan and is incapable of developing a game plan that....... Oh, wait

*raises eyebrow*
I still stand by most of my initial assertion... except Ablett, where I will admit that I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

This was posted before we picked up Dalhaus and Rohan, by the way.

Of all those I listed in the first paragraph of this thread, I should add that only Tuohy and Ablett are still in our 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back