Injury/Rehab Tore my hamstring..

Remove this Banner Ad

James_Hutchy

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2008
WA Country Town
AFL Club
West Coast
halfway through the first quarter of the first game for the season today.. So unbelievably angry/disappointed, feel like i wasted the months of preseason/gym. Was feeling the best i've ever felt did an extensive warmup and was playing as a defender on their captain and best player and had already had a few good contests with him, felt like i was going to have a massive game then..

Imagine I'm the Brisbane player on the left but just changing from a jog to a sprint to try and get to the opposition player with the ball
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/04/14/1226326/612282-stephen-hill.jpg

Boom, hammy just went, it felt weird like it cramped/pulsed and then each end just shot off in opposite directions. obviously that probably didn't happen but that's what it felt like. Went down tried to get up and keep going couldn't run/walk at all hobbled off and that was me done. feels sore as **** now.So angry as i played my first season of league last year and played every single game now i'm out in rd1...

tl:dr
It's in the spot just below the glute, hurts like *****, been doing ricer and whatever.
how long should i rest it for?
should i see a physio?
Will i regain the same pace/kicking ability? It's my preferred :(

****!

:thumbsdown:

shithouse

you'll need to get some treatment and there will be no timeline either but hey better doing in the last round with finals coming up

so plenty of ice btw now and treatment and for god's sake don't stretch it, even if physio's tell you to!!

let us know what you do and what they say

shithouse

you'll need to get some treatment and there will be no timeline either but hey better doing in the last round with finals coming up

so plenty of ice btw now and treatment and for god's sake don't stretch it, even if physio's tell you to!!

let us know what you do and what they say

Cheers mate. I'll try and see one tomorrow never even been to one before haha. Had an hour and half drive home after it, hardest thing i've ever done haha. Why don't stretch it?

it probably got injured from being stretched too far in the first place so it doesn't makes sense to stretch it, to fix it - not initially anyway

if you can try and do some glute activation 3 - 5 times a day everyday

it probably got injured from being stretched too far in the first place so it doesn't makes sense to stretch it, to fix it - not initially anyway

if you can try and do some glute activation 3 - 5 times a day everyday

Alright i'll try that. There's no bruising though so it can't be that serious right?

Alright thanks for the help mate. One last thing, would i still be able to lift? I figure if i can't train for a few weeks i might as well hit the gym 5 days a week again. Obviously no standing exercises or leg weights but would bench, seated press etc be okay?

Alright thanks for the help mate. One last thing, would i still be able to lift? I figure if i can't train for a few weeks i might as well hit the gym 5 days a week again. Obviously no standing exercises or leg weights but would bench, seated press etc be okay?

You can do weights that wont pressure your leg muscles. Id look at cardio weights or a maintenance only program though. I don't think you want to add a few kilos of muscle on the upper body and than get your leg muscles to carry that weight when they haven't been conditioned to do so when you run back into a game.

upper body is fine but dagging off cats post, aim for strength and power increases over muscle size increases

depending on your range of motion before pain sets in you might be able to do some knee height rack pulls or whatever heightt you can to get some decent glute strengthening work in but try and eliminate as much eccentric as you can so "drop' your self back to the pins if that makes sense

and if that fails then opt for hip thrusts each time you go to the gym focusing on getting a full glute contraction with posterior pelvic tilt at the top of each rep and increase volume over increasing wt

Alright well first your hammy has torn due to lack of length in the muscle being too tight, if you actually tore it, it will bleed for first 3 days so ice for first 72 hrs (note ice shortens your muscles more) due to decreased blood flow to the muscle.

Then after 72 hrs or so start applying heat through it and do some light walking and light stretching after the 5th day but very light cause your muscle fibers are still recruiting to repair torn muscle. Depending on the severity of the tear in your second week you can do some light jogging and eccentric contraction stretching aswell as some light massage all to get length back into the muscles belly to ensure you won't tear it again.

Towards the end of your second week introduce so change of pace drills and build up to close to a sprint, but depending on severity, hammys can range up to 3-6 weeks or sometimes longer. You will more often than not tear your hammy in the eccentric contraction phase which is the down phase from where ur heel is at your bum to where your forefoot strikes the ground. Doing hamstring curls can strengthen theses aswell as glute work, see a physio for specific exercises if you have none

Alright well first your hammy has torn due to lack of length in the muscle being too tight,

not always the case....if your stuck in excessive anterior pelvic tilt then your hamstrings are actually lengthened and weak and are prone to strain/tears

not always the case....if your stuck in excessive anterior pelvic tilt then your hamstrings are actually lengthened and weak and are prone to strain/tears

and the reverse happends too your hip flexors yes your correct.

Happens heaps from sitting in a chair all day at a desk. Youe pretty knowledgable on it kirky!

Haha thanks guys. Went and saw this physio who does it for free for people from our club, he used to physio for brisbane but anyway torn it pretty badly. Going to be out for 6-8 weeks. Can still barely walk at the moment :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back