Employment Torn between two jobs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
So I was for around 16 months living on a contract to contract basis for employment since the construction boom ended around the time I was made redundant. Anyway cut the story short, due to a bit of luck I was successful in managing in securing a role at a Tier 2 National Building Company about 6 weeks ago

The company is superb with a good working culture and team, however my only issue is that they haven't won any work in the last 5 months and although they are still tendering, at times I feel they may be already overresourced similar to the last company I worked for . My current project finishes in August/September this year and with a six month probabtion program as well as no concrete work in the near future I'm starting to get worried about being made redundant yet again.

Today I got a call from a Tier 2 that is part of an international building giant offering me another opportunity for an interview (had one there in September last year) they said they are looking for someone for an immediate start. I still don't know what project it is but it sounds a decent long term one (I'll know after the interview on Friday). These guys last time they saw me really liked me and wanted me on board but didnt give me the chance as they didnt have any work at the time

My dilemma is if the role on Friday is a full time role for a project that is two years long (more security) and perhaps even better salary, should I take it?

Really worried that I may burn a bridge as I did whatever I could in getting this job only to leave it 6 weeks in And as I said the working culture and the team is good it's just the uncertainty in where the company is in winning more work.

Anyone here been in a similar situation? And what would you do?

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What state are you in? I'm Melbourne and in a Tier 3-2 and we've got a fair bit of work coming up mid year despite only 1 underway currently.

If you're also Melbourne I think you will be okay to stay and then find another role pretty quickly. I get calls from recruiters every week.

If you are Perth like supporting the eagles would suggest I would be more hesitant to stay. one of my colleagues moved back to Perth for family reasons but said he hadn't been able to secure a similar role yet and he was unsure how easy it would be based on first impressions.

would you travel for work? I'd also say go back to poker but that ship has sailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back